MBBS ADMISSION IN INDIA: Become a medical doctor in India is hard! If you want admission in a Top Government Medical College for MBBS in India, which is itself a very difficult task.
- 1 MBBS Admission in India 2022-23
- 2 What is MBBS?
- 3 Go to top
- 4 Exams for MBBS Admission in India
- 5 MBBS Admission in India Marks Range
- 6 Go to top
- 7 Seats for MBBS Admission in India
- 8 MBBS Admission in India with Lowest Package/ Low Fees
- 9 MBBS through Government Medical Colleges via NEET and others
- 10 MBBS Admission in Private colleges of India
- 11 MBBS Admission in India for NRI
- 12 MBBS Admission in India Notification 2022-23
- 13 MBBS Admission Entrance Exam
- 14 Top Medical Colleges in India
- 15 MBBS Admission 2022-23
- 16 How to Claim Home State for MBBS Admission in India :
- 17 How to get Admission in MBBS in Government college
- 18 How to get Admission in MBBS in Private Colleges
- 19 MBBS Admissions (State Level Counselling)
- 20 FAQ’S
MBBS Admission in India 2022-23
In this article, we will cover theses questions:-
➡ How to get MBBS admission in India?
➡ What are the entrance exam for MBBS admission in India?
Topic Related Questions
➡ What is MBBS counseling?
➡ What is All India Quota?
Q: How will there be admission in deemed universities?
What is MBBS?
Before starting the details of MBBS Admission in India, Let’s know about the M.B.B.S. Course in India: Full form of MBBS is Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.
- Each part of 1.5 years is known as Professional and is further divided into 3 semesters as a subject.
- There are a semester and professional exams at the end of each session.
- At the end of the third professional year there is a monthly clinical work in the wards and departments of the hospital.
- After All 3 professional examinations, There are practical and clinical examinations.
- Passing the percentage required for the exam is 50 percent.
Lastest Update: NEET College Predictor 2022-23: Predict your rank here
Exams for MBBS Admission in India
Medical applicants have to prepare for a single exam for the MBBS courses from 2020 in India. And, that exam is known as NEET(National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) for the MBBS admission in India.
The MBBS admissions to all the colleges/universities is filled through NEET-UG counseling on the basis of the rank list, preferences filled and availability of seats.
MBBS Admission in India Marks Range
Rank Range (AIQ Seats)
453 – 450
14053 – 14905
453 – 324
14200 – 61238
451 – 288
14481 – 83162
449 – 324
15149 – 61494
322 – 312
62218 – 67788
315 – 302
66314 – 73737
695 – 453
1 – 14052
Seats for MBBS Admission in India
Private Medical Colleges for MBBS Admission in India | Government Medical Colleges for MBBS Admission in India
JIPMER also offers 200 MBBS seats through its own exam for the Karaikal & Puducherry campuses. From the year 2020, Medical admission in India is to be conducted for 81487 MBBS seats by NEET on the basis of exam scores.
A very limited number of MBBS seats ratio in Government medical colleges makes the task of getting admission in MBBS colleges a greater challenge for students across India.
The system of getting admission in a good government medical college in India is extremely complicated itself because of the following well-known and well-hated reasons.
- Separate examinations on State and National levels (AIPMT till 2016 and only NEET from 2020 onward).
- Reservation policies (50% of the seats are reserved) which make the task of predicting cut-offs very difficult.
- Different rules and policies followed by private medical colleges regarding reserved seats.
- The system of allocation of Management and NRI quotas in top private medical colleges making it more difficult for students to get admission in them normally.
- Then there are different agents providing different options and demanding capitation fees for providing admission to top private MBBS colleges making it further difficult and confusing to understand the exact status of admission in those colleges (although this problem has been solved to a large extent by now)
However, this NEET-UG exam has to be given to every interested person who wants to get admission in MBBS course in India.
Counselling for NEET is conducted in 3 rounds, with the 1st round and the second round followed by the last mop-up round.
Through NEET, 15% of the total seats in government colleges in India are reserved for all India quota seats, which are filled by the Medical Counseling Committee (MCC).
At the same time, all seats of deemed universities are done by the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) at the all-India level.
Whereas in 85% of the state quota seats, admission in MBBS is provided by the respective state counseling authorities.
MBBS Admission in India with Lowest Package/ Low Fees
Only 50% among them are government colleges while the rest is constituted by the private ones. So, in order to become an MBBS doctor in India, an aspirant has following options in front of him/her:
- MBBS through Government Medical Colleges
- MBBS through Private Medical Colleges
- M.B.B.S. through abroad
MBBS through Government Medical Colleges via NEET and others
More than 14 lakh students appear for NEET exam in 2020, while only 5400 medical seats are allotted to them (15% of the total government seats – 16,000 + few others) through AIQ which pegs the success ratio for getting an MBBS Admission to a top Government college and becoming a doctor in India via a national test to somewhere around only 0.5%.
What this means is that more than 99% students wouldn’t have a chance to get admission in a top government medical college even after studying hard for more than a year.
Although various other tests are conducted for admission in medical colleges, most of them such as AIIMS, AFMC, JIPMER, and others mostly look for toppers only in order to ensure that the MBBS Admission to top Government Medical Colleges are provided to the best students in the country only.
What makes this equation more complex is the provision of reservation of seats in the colleges of India for members of some specific castes.
Around half of the total seats are allotted to reserved candidates only which means the chance for a general student to get admission in any top college is reduced by 50% itself before even appearing in the exams.
Members of the reserved castes will get admission to these colleges even though they score much less than the general students. The current reservation system in India for medical examinations stands as follows:
MBBS Admission in Private colleges of India
According to a recent estimate, before the commencement of NEET, a student used to appear for 6 entrance examination on an average for trying to get admission in a reputed medical college in India.
Most of the students had also admitted to getting calls by various agents across the country offering admissions in a reputed MCI approved private medical college via Management and NRI Quota in exchange of money.
These agents have contacts inside the college management and often guarantee a seat in a reputed college of your choice for a price which is much higher than the normal admission charges in the college.
Even after getting admission to a private medical college in India on merit only, it’d had cost around 40 – 50 lakh for studying in a private medical college or a deemed university in India.
You can double the amount again for capitation fees in case the aspirant failed to make it through the test.
So in short, the total donation one would need to pay to get admission in a private medical college was around 50 lac rupees itself. But the provision of capitation fees was completely removed in India in 2020 when it was decided to fill all the available seats in medical colleges (both government and private) through a common test only (NEET).
This removed the authority of private colleges for admission completely and significantly brought down the cut-off marks required to clear the test. There is no need now to engage an agent for getting admission in a top Private Medical College in India for your MBBS degree.
MBBS Courses Trend
Presently, MBBS courses are trending among the students of medical stream. Various medical colleges in India are associated with state hospitals which provide students better scope to deal with patients.
India is also a home to several reputed medical colleges such as All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Armed Forces Medical College, Christian Medical College, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, etc. Here candidates can check information regarding MBBS Admission in India 2022-23.
Get latest news & updates for MBBS Admission in India 2021 via SMS or e-mail, by entering your details below:
MBBS Admission in India for NRI
There are few MBBS seats available in India for NRI candidates in Government colleges as well as Private colleges.
MBBS Admission in India Notification 2022-23
JIPMER University will organize its own entrance exam for admission to the MBBS & BDS courses. Admission Procedure Admissions in MBBS and BDS courses will be given on the basis of national level examination NEET, AIIMS & JIPMER.
Central Board of Secondary Education shall organize the NEET examination for selecting students for medical courses. Top medical colleges of India consider the NEET score card for admissions.
MBBS Admission Entrance Exam
NEET (National Eligibility Entrance Test) is an all India level based examination organized by the CBSE Board. Through this examination, students will get admissions into MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) and BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) programmes. This examination is conducted in various famous cities of the country.
Top Medical Colleges in India
There are many reputed medical colleges are situated in India, which are famous around the globe. Some of the Top Medical Colleges in India 2022-23 are AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences), AFMC (Armed Forces Medical College), Maulana Azad Medical College and many others.
MBBS Admission 2022-23
Students looking for admission in MBBS programmes, can apply for the NEET examination. The MBBS application form is available till the 6 May 2022. The examination will be organized on 17th June of 2022.
- Indian Nationals & OCI candidates can apply for this exam.
- Candidates must have cleared the 12th or equivalent exam with PCB and English subjects from any recognized board.
- Students must have completed the age of 17 years as or on 31st December of the year of admission.
- The maximum age limit is 25 Years for general and 30 years for SC/ST candidates.
- Students appearing in the qualifying exam are also eligible to apply.
How to Claim Home State for MBBS Admission in India :
- Candidate must complete 10th and 12th from the state
- Candidate must pass a valid domicile in the state.
- The candidate should pass residential proof of the state.
After clearing the NEET examination, a merit list will be prepared by the authority as per the marks scored in the entrance test. Students will be invited for counselling process as per the ranks secured in the rank list. In the counselling process, candidates are required to choose the list of colleges where they are seeking for admissions.
Seats will be allotted to students on the basis of choices filled by them, rank scored and the availability of seats in the colleges. Students will be required to report to the allotted college to complete the Medical admission process. In India, there are approx 53565 seats are available for admissions in MBBS programme.
Such students who come in SC ST or other reservation quotas would like to tell them that they have the benefit of their category. They will get benefits in All India Quota (15%) and State Quota (45%) seats. There will be no benefit in other states.
Documents Required for MBBS Admission
Candidates will be required these documents at the time of counselling/admission:
- 10th Class Mark Sheet & Passing Certificate.
- 12th Class Mark Sheet & Passing Certificate.
- NEET 2017 Admit Card & Rank Card.
- Category Certificate (if applicable).
- Counselling Letter.
- Passport size photographs.
How to get Admission in MBBS in Government college
- 15% all India quota through centralized counselling scheme
- 85% home state quota + all India quota surrendered seats through state counselling .
- There is three deemed university under centralized counselling scheme.
- 1. Institute of medical sciences BHU Varanasi 46 seats. 2. Jawahar Lal Nehru Medical College AMU Aligarh 70 Seats. 3. Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences Wardha 30 Seats
Apart from this, there is no other option that can get admission in a government college.
How to get Admission in MBBS in Private Colleges
Now talk about private college, then candidates for private college are eligible for 100% seats in their state. This counseling is also conducted by state boarding. Apart from this, the second option comes from those states which allow candidates with out of state. That is, apart from your home state, you can apply for all those states where there is a quota of outside states.
MBBS Admissions (State Level Counselling)
Every state in India organizing counselling for the their seats after the All India Level seats for 15% government quota.
Question: How can I get admission for MBBS in India?
Answer: Pass the NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) examination
Question: What is the procedure of MBBS admission?
Answer: Apply for NEET Examination
Question: How can I get admission in MBBS without NEET?
Answer: NEET Qualified Required
Question: Are 12th marks important for MBBS?
Answer: Yes, candidates must have passed class 12 in PCB with a minimum of 50% marks
Question: How to get admission in MBBS?
Answer: Through NEET
Question: Is it ok to study MBBS in a private medical college in India?
Answer: There is no harm to do MBBS from a private college
See This : Things to Know About MBBS in Abroad
For any other queries regarding MBBS Admission in India 2021, you may leave your comments below.