Founded in 1981, Tamil University is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the the rural setting of the small city of Thanjavur (population range of 250,000-499,999 inhabitants), Tamil Nadu. Officially accredited/recognized by the University Grants Commission, India, Tamil University (TU) is a very small (enrollment range: 500-999 students) coeducational higher education institution. Tamil University (TU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as pre-bachelor degrees (i.e. certificates, diplomas, associate or foundation degrees), bachelor degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. This 36 years old H.E. institution has a selective admission policy based on students’ past academic record and grades. The admission rate range is 90-100% making this Indian higher education organization a least selective institution. International students are welcome to apply for enrollment. TU also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, housing, sport facilities and/or activities, financial aids and/or scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, online courses and distance learning opportunities, as well as administrative services.
The Tamil University, Thanjavur, in Tamil Nadu, India, was established to provide higher research in the Tamil language and advanced study in allied branches such as linguistics, translation, lexicography, music, drama and manuscriptology. M.Phil and Ph.D programmes were introduced in 1992 for disciplines such as Language, Literature, Translation, and Sculpture.
The university has six science departments namely Industries and Earth Sciences, Computer Science, Environmental and Herbal Science, Siddha Medicine, Ancient Sciences and Architecture.
The Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences and Technology Cell, an autonomous body supported by the Ministry of Earth Sciences, New Delhi is under the Department of Industries and Earth Sciences.
The university is situated in a campus of about 900 acres (3.6 km2), granted by the State government of Tamil Nadu, making it the largest university in the state by area. Buildings and blocks for the administrative and academic departments are located in the campus. The administrative block with its gopuram motif can be seen from the National Highway connecting Thanjavur with Trichy. The library is reminiscent of the Indian Parliament at New Delhi.The Karikalan Gallery, built on the occasion of the World Tamil Conference is capable of accommodating about 2000 people.
The Tamil language, in the south of India is known for its antiquity, its richness of vocabulary and its classical literature. For a long time these qualities were not known to the world outside. Orientalists such as Max Mueller, Keith and even Edwin Arnold identified the literature of India with Sanskrit only. It is this neglect of Tamil in the British period that motivated a meeting of Tamil scholars at Thanjavur to consider starting a university for the development and growth Tamil in August, 1925. But, perhaps due to the lack of patronage from the government, the plan did not materialise.
In post-independent India, in September 1981, the location of the Tamil University was chosen on the outskirts of Thanjavur. The Tamil Nadu State Assembly unanimously passed the Tamil University Act in the second week of September 1981 and the first Vice-Chancellor took office a week later, The University Grants Commission gave recognition to the university in 1983.
Vision and Mission
- To analyze and identify the contribution of Tamil culture to the mosaic of Indian Culture
- To reconstruct and revive the scientific thoughts, intellectual achievements and the outstanding industrial knowledge of the ancient Tamils for the use of the contemporary society.
- To study the grammatical and linguistic theories of Tamil language. To study the structure of Tamil language and the potentiality of Tamil Language. To create modern methods for language teaching.
- To translate rare books of Tamil into other languages and vise versa. To preserve and publish Tamil inscriptions, palm-leaf manuscripts, rare-paper manuscripts and rare books.
- To publish encyclopedias related to literature, grammar, science and technical glossary and Philosophy in Tamil.
- To recover and publish the lost cultural components of Tamil and the historical monuments through systematic research.
- To facilitate research on the cultural impacts of the Tamil Diaspora and the foreign relations of Tamizhakam.
The mission of the University is to further the advancement of high level learning and research on Tamil language, literature and culture. The focus is not just on existence, but on excellence in all fields of knowledge for the benefit of the society.
Receive latest news and updates about TAMIL UNIVERSITY Thanjavur through e-mail or Sms, by entering your details below:
- Department of Sculpture
- Department of Music
- Department of Drama
- Department of Palmleaf Manuscriptology
- Department of Rare Paper Manuscriptology
- Department of Epigraphy
- Department of Underwater Archaeology Centre
- Department of Tamil Studies in Foreign Countries
- Department of Translation
- Department of Lexicography
- Department of Social Science
- Department of Scientific Tamil and Tamil Development
- Department of Education
- Department of Literature
- Department of Linguistics
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Tribal Research Centre
- Department of School of Indian Languages
- Department of Folklore
- Department of Siddha Medicine
- Department of Ancient Science
- Department of Industries and Earth Sciences
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Environmental and Herbal Science
Distance Education Directorate
This serves as the board for providing distance education for those who reside outside Tanjavur.
- B.Ed.Application form
- M.Ed.Application form & Prospectus
- M.A. Tamil Literature
- M.A. History, Art & Culture
- M.A. Applied Linguistics.
- M.A. Temple administration, Tourism & Philosophy
- M.A. History and Archeology
- M.A. Tamilology, Folklore & Culture
- M.A. Music
- M.A. Applied Tamilology
- M.A. Social Science
- M.A. Tamilology & History of Editing
- M.Sc. Environmental Science
- M.Sc. Computer Science
M.Phil and PhD. Programmes under all departments
- Saiva Siddantham
- Performing Arts
- Computer Applications
- Herbal Bio-Technology
- Environmental Management
- Siddha Drug Standardization
Post Diploma Courses
- Play Creation
- Telugu Language
- Internet Language
The Interest of students activities
- Students are educated and facilitated to receive all kinds of scholarships provided by Government of Tamilnadu and other funding agencies like UGC.
- In every year, Department-wise First Three Rank Holders are awarded with special scholarships from the interest amount earned from the Great Poet Bharathiyar and A.T.Panneer Selvam Endowment.
- In every year, during the Pongal Festival special competitions in several areas such as Arts, Literature, and Sports are organized for students and the winners are awarded with the prize and certificate of achievements in order to encourage them in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Students are encouraged to participate in NSS [National Service Scheme] and thereby they are motivated and cultivated in doing services.
- Red Cross Society is set up and functioning with student-members.
- Women students are trained in karaththe in order to empower them for self defense.
- Separate Hostels are run for both men and women students.
- Special coaching classes are organized for students to prepare them for appearing in national level exams like UGC-NET.
- Special Remedial coaching programs are organized exclusively for under-privileged students and trained them in the areas in which they show poor performance.
- Need based special programs are organized for students for molding them for their employability. Campus interviews are also arranged for placements.
- Yoga training and practices are provided to students, teachers and all staff members.
- Tamil Music
- Business Administration
- Computer Applications (BCA)
- BSC Syllabus-DDE
- B.Sc Botany I-year Allied paper
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science
- Tamil Music,
- Master of Social Work
- Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS),
- Business Administration
- Environmental Science
- M.sc Botony I & II year syllubus