Sri Guru Granth Sahib World University Fatehgarh Sahib
Established in 2008, Sri Guru Granth Sahib World University is a private higher education institution located in the the urban setting of the large town of Fatehgarh Sahib (population range of 50,000-249,999 inhabitants), Punjab. Officially accredited/recognized by the University Grants Commission, India, Sri Guru Granth Sahib World University (SGGSWU) is a coeducational higher education institution. Sri Guru Granth Sahib World University (SGGSWU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees in several areas of study. SGGSWU also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, as well as administrative services.
Sri Guru Granth Sahib World University (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਵਰਲਡ ਯੂਨੀਵਰਸਿਟੀ) is a private university located in Fatehgarh Sahib, Punjab, India. It was established under Punjab State Act 20/2008 (Sri Guru Granth Sahib World University Act) and is recognized by UGC under section 2(f) of the UGC Act, 1956. Sardar Prakash Singh Badal (Chief Minister of Punjab) announced the setting up of Sri Guru Granth Sahib World University at Fatehgarh Sahib, the holy place of martyrs, on the occasion of the fourth centenary celebrations of the compilation and the first installation of Sri Adi (Guru) Granth Sahib in 2004.
The academic year consists of two semesters with final examination in the months of May and December every year. The curriculum is based on industry experience, collaborative research and hands-on lab courses. An advisory committee of industrialists and chief operating officers provides insights for formulating the curriculum to make the students industry ready. Academicians from institutions including Massey University (New York), London School of Economics & Political Science, and University of Cambridge (UK) visit the campus to interact with the students as guest faculty on a regular basis.
With the mandate to focus on intensive study, research and training, major academic thrust areas are world religions, arts and humanities, social sciences, pure and applied sciences, engineering sciences, medical sciences, commerce & management and sports. In order to produce “global professionals”, the University is also focusing on emerging technologies including biotechnology, nanotechnology, information technology, environmental science, and agriculture science. The students are provided with opportunities for internships, community service, on-campus jobs and research opportunities.
Schools and programmes
School of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Studies
- M.A. Religious Studies
- M.A. Sikh Studies
School of Basic and Applied Sciences
- B.Sc. Mathematics (Hons. School)
- M.Sc. Mathematics (Hons. School)
- M.Sc. Mathematics
- B.Sc. Physics (Hons. School)
- M.Sc. Physics (Hons. School)
- M.Sc. Physics
- B.Sc. Chemistry (Hons. School)
- M.Sc. Chemistry (Hons. School)
- M.Sc. Chemistry
- B.Sc. Agriculture (Hons., 4 years)
- M.Sc. Agriculture
- M.Sc. Zoology
- M.Sc. Botany
- M.Sc. Environmental Science
School of Engineering
- B.Tech. Computer Science & Engg.
- M.Tech.Computer Science & Engg. (Integrated 5yr.)
- M.Tech. Computer Science & Engg.
- B.Tech.Mechanical Engg.
- M.Tech.Mechanical Engg. (Integrated 5yr.)
- B.Tech. Electronics & Communication Engg.
- M.Tech. Electronics & Communication Engg. (Integrated, 5yr.)
- M.Tech. Electronics & Communication Engg.
- School of Commerce and Management
- B.Com. (Hons.)
School of Economics
- B.A. Economics (Hons.)
- M.A. Economics (Hons.)
- M.A. Economics
School of Languages & Literature
- M.A. English
- M.A. Punjabi
School of Performing Arts
- M.A. Music (Vocal)
School of Social Sciences
- Bachelor’s in Library and Information Science
- Masters in Library and Information Science
- B.A. Social Sciences (Hons.)
- M.A. Political Science
- M.A. Psychology
- M.A. History
- M.A. Sociology
- M.A. Journalism and Mass Communication
School of Education & Sports Technology
- B.P. Ed. (4yr.)
- B.P. Ed. (2yr.)
- M.P. Ed.
School of Emerging Technologies
- B.Tech. Biotechnology
- M.Tech. Biotechnology (Integrated 5yr.)
- M.Tech. Biotechnology (2yr.)
- M.Sc. Biotechnology (2yr.)
- B.Tech. Nanotechnology
- M.Tech.Nanotechnology (Integrated 5yr.)
- M.Tech. Nanotechnology (2yr.)
- B.Tech. Food Processing Tech.
- M.Tech. Food Processing Tech. (Integrated 5yr.)
- M.Sc. Food Processing Technology (2yr.)
School of Physiotherapy and Medical Sciences
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (4 1/2 years)
The faculty conducts various research activities. Many projects have been granted to the faculty by government bodies like DST and BRNS. The students are also provided with the opportunities of internships, community service, on-campus job avenues and research opportunities. Many students are pursuing research in national and international academic institutions like University of Alabama (United States), Xi’an Jiaotong University (China), National Institute for Materials Science (Japan), DRDO, CSIO, IITs and BARC.
- Guru Nanak Dev Centre for Sikh Music
- Guru Arjan Dev Centre for Guru Granth Sahib Studies
- Bhai Gurdas Centre for Sikh Studies
Centre for Competitive Exams
In order to prepare the Punjabi youth for civil services and other competitive examinations, the University has set up Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha Centre for Competitive Examinations.
University publishes 3 research journals in the fields of Sikh studies, Religious studies and Management.
- Journal of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Studies
- The Journal of Religion and Sikh Studies
- University Journal of Management and Commerce (UJMC)
National and International Conferences, Faculty development Programmes and Workshops for students are organized every year on regular basis where faculty and students participate from within and outside the country.
- University of Cambridge (UK)
- Xi’an Jiaotong University (China)
- Rovira i Virgili University (Spain)
Receive latest news and updates about S.G.G.S.W UNIVERSITY Fatehgarh Sahib through e-mail or Sms, by entering your details below:
The University has a dedicated Training and Placement Cell to collaborate industry and academia. To make the students industry-ready, regular training sessions are being conducted which include the activities like GDs, Role Plays, Mock Interviews, Reasoning Tests, Industrial visits etc. Campus drives are held regularly and in the last years many reputed companies like Axis Bank, Deutsche Bank, Tata Docomo, Mozilla, Accrete Globus Technology, Catalyst One and Impinge Solution etc. have recruited our budding professionals to fill their manpower needs.
Scholarships and free ship schemes
University provides various scholarships for the needy and meritorious students. Ten percent needy and meritorious students in each course are provided tuition fee waiver and the Sikh Girl students from Kashmir are offered free education, meals and residence. The following schemes of scholarships are provided:
- Sri Guru Granth Sahib Scholarship
- SGPC-Cambridge Scholarship
- SGPC Scholarship for Sikh Girls from Kashmir
- OBC Scholarship
- SC Scholarship
Life at SGGSWU
Bhai Nand Lal Library is equipped with more than 25,000 books, 50 research journals and a number of online journals. The university provides separate hostel facilities for boys and girls. University students participate in numerous sports and cultural events at national and international levels. In past students have brought many laurels to the university through their participation in different sports events. ‘Pargaas’ is annual cultural event of the University in which students from whole of country participate in both academic and non-academic events.
Student Clubs in the University: For the collaborative initiatives in extracurricular activities and overall personality development of students, following clubs have been formed:
- Bhagat Puran Singh Eco- Club
- Genesis Business-Club
- Narinder Singh Kapany Engineers Club
- Dr. Bhai Vir Singh Literary Club
- Amrita Shergill Photographic Club
- General Hari Singh Nalwa Mountaineering and Adventure Club
- University Sports Club
- Sobha Singh Fine Arts Club
- Mohinder Singh Randhawa Heritage-Club
- Hargobind Khurana Science-Club
- Nora Richards Theatre-Club
- Ramanujan Maths-Club
- Bhai Ghanaiya Social Welfare-Club