Receive latest news and updates about S.L.I.E.T UNIVERSITY Sangrur through e-mail or Sms, by entering your details below:
Founded in 1991, Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the the rural setting of the large town of Sangrur (population range of 50,000-249,999 inhabitants), Punjab. Officially accredited/recognized by the University Grants Commission, India, Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology (SLIET) is a coeducational higher education institution. Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology (SLIET) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees in several areas of study. SLIET also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, as well as administrative services.
About The Institute
Consequent upon the decision, taken by Govt. of India in 1985, to tender a valuable, yet humble tribute to the everlasting memory of the revered saint, Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology took its shape. The institute was established by Ministry Of Human Resource and Development (MHRD), Govt. of India in the year 1989 and was formally inaugurated on 20th December 1991.
Accepting the new challenge of new education policy, Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering & Technology (SLIET) was established, with a vision to act as an international podium for the development and transfer of technical competence in academics. It is committed to provide best possible technical education and to cater to the technical manpower requirements with emphasis on practical training in industry.
The institute is an autonomous body, fully funded by Govt. Of India and controlled by SLIET society, registered under Societies Registration Act, 1860. The institute awards its own Certificates, Diplomas, Undergraduate and Postgraduate approved and recognized by AICTE, New Delhi. Ph.D. programmes have also been started after it attaining status of Deemed to be University.
It was formulated that the institute, besides catering to the needs of formal education would undertake an arduous task to prepare the skilled and qualified manpower for self employment. Further, the institute would take up a strategic research and development activities which along with entrepreneurship will help in extending the efforts of the institute in imparting education to the unemployed and working population by updating and upgrading their technical skills. The institute was thought to cater to then existing 3-tier system to modern industry, which incorporates workers, technicians and engineers.
The institute has a sprawling area of 451 acres of land provided by Punjab Government. Surrounded by lush green land, the campus of the institute extends a beautiful and well developed area with many topographically featured picturesque landscape, numerous buildings of various nature and stature and metal road network. The campus presents a spectacle of harmony and natural beauty. It is embedded with all the amenities required for a complete township.
Formal shape was given to the idea of a Nationl Level Institute in the Rural Backdrop of the Longowal Village,1989.
Shri Arjun Singh, Then Honourable Minister for Human Resource Development, Government of India lays the foundation of the Institute,1991.
Institute begins offering Certificate and Diploma Programmes,1991.
Degree Programmes Introduced,1993.
First Annual COnvocation is held,1998.
Impact Assessment and Review conducted by EdCIL,1999.
Postgraduate Programmes Introduced,2002.
Institute wins Kongru Trophy,2002.
All Degree Programmes got Accredited by the AICTE,2003.
Impact Assessment and Review conducted by EdCIL,2004.
Deemed to be University in 2006.
SLIET shall strive to act as an international podium for the development and transfer of technical competence in academics through formal and non formal education, entrepreneurship and research to meet the changing need of society.
- Non formal,flexible,modular,multipoint entry programmes in engineering and technology and in the areas like rural development,educational planning,information and management sciences.
- Education and training in modern technology areas.
- Promotion of self development among the students.
- Extension services to industry working population,passed-out students, social organisations and institutions of research and higher learning.
- Close interface with the industry to conduct research on the basis of manpower requirements leading integrated educational planning curriculum development and instructional material preparation in technology and inter-disciplinary areas.
- Promotion of instiute-institute linkages for sustainable development of academic and research.
Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering & Technology (SLIET) Longowal has received Deemed University status in 2007 to run various UG and PG courses under its own Academic patterns. The courses of study are organized on semester system (i.e. two semesters in an academic year). Each semester spans for eighteen weeks (i.e. 90 days) excluding end semester examinations. The academic study schemes at each level are balanced with a number of co-curricular activities. Special lectures /invited talks by eminent personalities on varied topic of academic relevance are organized at department level. To motivate and encourage the students, a counseling system is also in-place which involves various faculty members as chief counselor and class counselors. Students are evaluated on a continuous basis throughout the semester by the course coordinators. The medium of instruction is English for all the courses run by the Institute.
The Academic Section of the Institute is administered by Dean (Academics), Deputy Registrar (Academics), Assistant Registrar (Academics) and dedicated staff members.
Academic Section has three distinct cells to deal with the academic matters related to various programs separately. The degree related matters of various under graduate (UG) courses are delt under UG cell, post graduate (PG) and Ph.D. courses under PG Cell whereas the matters related to various certificate, diploma and ICD courses are dealt under Diploma cell. These cells undertake following activities related to students:
- Maintenance of academic record;
- Issue of Identity cards;
- Issue of Duplicate Identity cards (on request);
- Issue of examination forms;
- Issue of Admit Cards (To appear in the retest Examinations);
- Conduct of Examinations;
- Declaration of Results;
- Issue of detailed marks card (DMC);
- Issue of Duplicate DMCs (on request);
- Issue of bonafide Certificate (on request);
- Issue of Provisional Certificate (on request);
- Issue of Equivalence Certificate (on request);
- Issue of Transcripts (on request);
- Verification of various academic certificates issued by the Institute (on request);
- Processing of cases of students like late registration, attendance shortage, dropping of course etc.
- Any other query related to academics.
All the academic rules, and regulations, study scheme and courses of study for various streams / courses offered by the Institute are approved by its Senate and put on the website for wider circulation and information.
Students are advised to follow the academic calendar strictly and check the notice boards of Academic Section / Hostels / Departments, regularly to know about the deadlines of various academic events. They are required to move their requests on the prescribed formats duly recommended by their respective counselor and HOD. They are responsible for meeting deadlines regarding:
- Registration to various courses offered in each semester;
- Adding/dropping of courses in each semester;
- Submission of Examination Forms (if any);
- Pre-registration for next semester;
- Checking the answer sheets / results of various examinations;
- Collection of DMCs;
- Any other activity related to Students as notified from time to time.