National Institute of Technology Nagaland, an Institute of National importance is a higher education technical Institute located at Chumukedima (Dimapur), Nagaland. It is one among the ten newly approved NITs by the Government of India in 2009 under the 11th Five Year Plan and it started functioning from the academic year 2010. Initially, this Institute started its journey under the mentorship of National Institute of Technology Silchar in Assam. It functioned in the campus of NIT Silchar for two years. Land for permanent campus was identified for the Institute during January 2012 and it is located at a hilly terrain area at Chumukedima near Dimapur, Nagaland.
The first academic session of the Institute in its permanent campus started on 20th September 2012. The land of 291 acres (which had been originally allotted for the Office of the Deputy Commissioner) was handed over by the Government of Nagaland with few buildings to NIT Nagaland for the establishment of its permanent campus. The infrastructure for class rooms, hostels and dining blocks for Boys and Girls have been created with refurbishment of the existing RCC buildings and construction of a few pre-fabricated buildings. Pre-fabricated structures for new class room blocks, laboratories (Physics, Chemistry, Electrical Machines, Power Systems etc.) and hostels have been constructed.
To advance knowledge through quality education and research, to cultivate invention improving the human condition and to educate students for a life of professional achievement, service to society and individual fulfilment – moving our world towards a more sustainable path.
- Impart and develop the skills of the students in order to shape them as outstanding professionals with high ethical standards to solve the societal problems.
- Achieve academic excellence through dedication to duty with team spirit, commitment to research, innovation in learning and faith in human values.
- Mould the students with the state-of-the-art technology resources to match the expectations of the industry and society.
- Provide intellectually stimulating environment for the development of human potential to its fullest extent so that intellectually capable and imaginatively gifted leaders can emerge in a wide range of professions needed by the nation with emphasis on self-reliance to service and lead the nation.
- Provide scientists and technologists who would be the leaders in research, participate in design, development and technology management in the country to meet global challenges.
It gives me immense pride to be part of first Institute of National Importance in the state of Nagaland. NIT Nagaland has been established for imparting technical education, to promote regional diversity and multicultural understanding in the state, where students can utilize their skills and proficiency, initiating them into prospective horizons, thereby finding a vocation in which each individual is best fit for. The nobility of the Institute has reframed the mindset of the people of Nagaland enabling them to rebuild a better society. NIT Nagaland has been raised the hopes of social welfare. Being a premier technological Institute of the state, it aims to promote the students of Nagaland by advocating scientific and technical pursuits in a rich resourced topography, which is an excellent measure of learning, understanding and employment.
The Institute strives to achieve academic excellence through dedication to duty, along with team spirit, commitment to research, innovation in learning with the state of the art technology resources to match the expectations of the industry and society.
I wish the students, Faculty and all NIT Nagaland fraternity success in all their endeavors.