Education in real sense is a quest for truth. This is an unending journey towards knowledge and enlightenment. This journey opens up new avenues for development of the mankind and limits the role of negative emotions like envy, hatred, animosity and narrow mindedness. It also inculcates and increases the sense of pride and self respect if every individual fully understand the basic realities of education and accepts it as way of life then it is sure the world would become a better place of habitat. It would not be out of place to mention that it works as a foundation stone of happy prosperous and strong nation”.
It is therefore our responsibility to create environment conducive of learning. That will not only give economic self reliance but will also lead to moral and intellectual upliftment of the society. The major challenge that the system is facing as of now is the reluctance of students to attend the classes. The most portent remedy would be to inculcate the belief in the mind of the students that college is not just a place to earn a degree but gain knowledge. They can apply into their day to day life.
The Kolhan University was established on 13 August 2009 with 14 Constituent Colleges and 12 Affiliated Colleges in geographical jurisdiction of East Singhbhum, West Singhbhum and Seraikela Kharswan District with more than 80,000 students strength. The University is in the area of tribal region.
The total number of students enrolled in Kolhan University for Bachelors, Masters and Vocational/Professional Courses comes to 55,500. Manish In graduation level 43,000 students have been enrolled in Part-I and Part-II. The number of Part III students are about 12,500, at present appearing from Ranchi University. Apart from that, the number of students enrolled in PG, Medical, Dental, Engineering, MBA, B.Ed. and Vocational/Add-on Courses are about 8,142 . Therefore, the total number of students enrolled is 63,642.
Apart from conventional courses in UG and PG level including Medical/ Dental/ Engineering/ Law/ Management/ Education following Vocational Courses are running under the University :
Different Vocational Courses running in 11 Colleges are :
BBA, BCA, BSC (INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, COMPUTER APPLICATIONS, MASS COMMUNICATION-VIDEO PRODUCTION, TRAVEL AND TOURISM MANAGEMENT and ADVERTISING SALES PROMOTION AND SALES MANAGEMENT), MBA, MCA, B.Ed. AND M.Ed.,
Ongoing Add-on (Vocational) courses running in different colleges are :
Banking, Applied Psychology, Communicative English, Web Designing, Industrial Chemistry, Pollution Management, e-Commerce, Aqua Culture, Advertising Sales Promotion and Sales Management, Functional English, Mass Communication, Information Technology and Computer Applications
College with Potential for Excellence Declared by University Grants Commission During Xth & XI Plan :
1. JAMSHEDUR WOMENS’ COLLEGE 2. KARIM CITY COLLEGE, JAMSHEDPUR
There is provision of 1 Model College in the District of Seraikela Kharswan under Kolhan University, Chaibasa.
The Kolhan University was established on 12 August 2009 with 14 Constituent Colleges and 12 Affiliated Colleges in geographical jurisdiction of East Singhbhum, West Singhbhum and Seraikela Kharsawan District. The University is in the area of tribal region.
The total number of students enrolled in Kolhan University for Bachelors, Masters and Vocational/Professional Courses comes to 55,500. In graduation level 43,000 students have been enrolled in Part-I and Part-II. The number of Part III students are about 12,500, at present appearing from Ranchi University. Apart from that, the number of students enrolled in PG, Medical, Dental, Engineering, MBA, B.Ed. and Vocational/Add-on Courses are about 8,142 . Therefore, the total number of students enrolled is 63,642.
Constituent Colleges under Kolhan University are:’
- Abdul Bari Memorial College, Jamshedpur
- Baharagora College, Behragora
- Ghatsila College, Ghatsila
- G.C. Jain College, Chaibasa
- Jamshedpur Co-operative College, Jamshedpur
- Jamshedpur Co-operative Law College, Jamshedpur
- Jamshedpur Worker’s College, Jamshedpur 4004 Gopal
- Jamshedpur Women’s College (CPE Status by UGC), Jamshedpur
- J.L.N. College, Chakradharpur
- K.S. College, Saraikela
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Memorial college, Jamshedpur
- Mahila College, Chaibasa
- Model Mahila College, Kharsawan
- MGM Medical College, Jamshedpur
- Singhbhum College, Chandil (www.singhbhumcollege.ac.in)
- Tata College, Chaibasa
- The Graduate School College for Women’s, Jamshedpur
Affiliated Colleges which comes under the Kolhan University are
- B.D.S Mahila College, Ghatsila
- J.K.S College, Jamshedpur
- Loyola College of Education, Jamshedpur
- Karim City College (CPE Status by UGC), Jamshedpur
- Patamada College Jalla
- St. Augustin College, Manoharpur
- X.I.T.E Gamharia Seraikela Kharsawan
- Avadh Dental College, Jamshedpur
- B.A College of Engineering, Jamshedpur
- R.V.S Engineering College,
- M.I.T.M, Jamshedpur
- N.S.I.B.M, Jamshedpur
- Government Engineering College, Chaibasa
POST GRADUATE COURSES (25)
- Master of Commerce & Business Management Master of Arts in Anthropology
- Master of Arts in Economics Master of Arts in Geography
- Master of Arts in History Master of Arts in Urdu
- Master of Arts in Home Science Master of Arts in Political Science
- Master of Arts in Psychology Master of Arts in Bangla
- Master of Arts in English Master of Arts in Hindi
- Master of Arts in Ho Master of Arts in Kurmali
- Master of Arts in Odia Master of Arts in Philosophy
- Master of Arts in Sanskrit Master of Arts in Santhali
- Master of Arts in Sociology Master of Science in Botany
- Master of Science in Chemistry Master of Science in Geology
- Master of Science in Mathematics Master of Science in Physics
- Master of Science in Zoology
PROFESSIONAL POST GRADUATE COURSES (08)
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Arts in Mass Communication
- Master of Science in Computer Application
- Master of Education (M. Ed.)
- Master of Engineering and Technology (M. Tech.)
- Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)
- Master of Surgery (MS)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Social Science
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Commerce and Management
UNDER GRADUATE & VOCATIONAL COURSES (14)
- B.A. / B.Sc. / B. Com.
- B. Tech.
- B.Sc. (IT)
- B. Ed.
- Mass Communication
- Water Management
- Music (Vocal/Instrumental)
- Chhau Dance
Receive latest news and updates about Kolhan UNIVERSITY Chaibasa through e-mail or Sms, by entering your details below:
The important achievements made by the University
- First time on-line admission is started for all UG & PG courses in all the PG Departments / Constituent Colleges / Affiliated Colleges which was inaugurated by Hon’ble Governor-Cum-Chancellor. This has resulted in about 50% increase in the enrollment of students.
- First time OMR sheets are used in the examination of EVS subject of U.G. Part III.
- First time bar coded answer books are used in different examinations which reduced the data processing work and helped in timely publication of results.
- Results of U.G. Part III (Session 2013-16) were published Online on 30th June 2016 by the Hon’ble Chancellor within ten days of completion of exam.
- On OMR Sheet admission test for L. L. B. Admission has been taken.
- Online process has been started right from Admission to Marksheet (Result). All examinees are being provided results through SMS Messages and on their registered email ID.
- Kolhan University became the first State University in Jharkhand to give Online Payment facility to its students.
- Research Activities are up to mark . The University has just held the Ph. D. entrance test in 2016 .
- Examination sessions have been Regularised.
- University annual Examination; Academic and Sports Calendar has been published and it is being followed accordingly.
- Inter College Sports tournament in Basketball, Badminton, Cricket, Football, KhoKho, Kabaddi, Boxing, Archery has already been completed and for rest games are on schedule.
- Kolhan University students have participated in East Zone Inter University Youth Festival in January 2016 in which Sri Dama Soren, Student of K.U. got the first position in Poster Making Contest.
- Kolhan University Archery Team has participated in Inter University Archery Championship in February 2016 at Patiala; in which Sri Rajesh Majhi got the Gold Medal.
- Kolhan University Women Football team has participated in Inter University Football Championship, Dibrugarh, Aasam in October 2016.
- Boys and Girls KhoKho Team of Kolhan University have gone to Jounpur, Uttar Pradesh for Inter University Kho-Kho Championship.
- Kolhan University Athletics team has participated in Jharkhand State Inter University Chancellor’s Trophy Athletics (Men & Women) meet, 20-22 April 2016 and K.U. Team emerges as Runner.
- Kolhan University Team has participated in Chancellor’s Trophy Badminton (Women) Tournament, 11-14 February 2016 at Vinoba Bhave University, Hazaribagh and became the Runner.
- Kolhan University Cricket Team has participated in Chancellor’s Trophy Cricket Tournament, 11-14 February 2016 at Vinoba Bhave University, Hazaribagh and became the Winner.
- Kolhan University Men’s Football Team has participated in Chancellor’s Trophy Football Tournament 2016 at SKMU, Dumka.
- The University has successfully conducted Chancellor’s Trophy in Basketball and Archery in March 2016. In both Kolhan University emerges as champion.
- 75% Attendance has been made mandatory for U.G. and P.G. Courses.
- At least four classes per day have been assured to students of each courses by providing guest faculties in each subject.
- H.O.D.’s and Principals / Prof-in-Charges have been instructed to upload teaching plan and class notes of each teacher on their Website.
- Classes in 2nd Shift started in University Deptts. and Constituent Colleges for both UG & PG Courses to enhance GER.
- Salaries of Teaching and Non-Teaching staffs of University and Constituent Colleges have been linked with their biometric attendance.
- 75 teachers have been transferred to rationalize the distribution of available teaching faculties among different colleges and PG Departments; to streamline the teaching.
- Two successive Student Union Elections are held in 2015 and 2016.
- Research Journals of each faculty have been published and are released by Hon’ble Governor-Cum-Chancellor of Universities of Jharkhand.
- For the first time the Graduation Day (The Degree Distribution ceremony) is held in Jamshedpur Women’s College, Jamshedpur, (An Autonomous Unit of Kolhan University); which was due in 2013. Hon’ble Governor-cum-Chancellor was the Chief Guest of that programme.
- Within 7 years of its establishment ; Kolhan University got itself Accredited by NAAC in May 2016. Thus; Kolhan University became the youngest State University in the Country to be accredited by NAAC.
- Two Constituent Colleges have been Accredited with NAAC and rest Colleges are likely to be NAAC Accredited within three to four months.
- Up to date AISHE Data have been uploaded successfully by the University and all the Constituent and Affiliated Colleges under Kolhan University.
- Regulations for the Courses like Performing & Fine Arts, BBA, BCA, EWM, Ph.D., D.Sc., D.Litt., Faculty of Education have been approved from Hon’ble Chancellor.
- Courses in Fine Arts & Music is going to be started from this session (2016-19) itself in atleast two Colleges.
- Proposal for establishment of Tribal Academy has been submitted to Higher, Technical Education and Skill Development Department, Govt. of Jharkhand for approval.
- Roaster for all Teaching posts for all subjects of G. Departments and all Constituent Colleges have been cleared from the State Government and the Requisition for appointment has been sent to JPSC.
- Requisition for appointment of officers of University has been sent to JPSC after clearance of Roaster and JPSC has advertised those posts.
- Requisition for appointment of Professors & Associate Professors of different subjects have been sent to JPSC after clearance of Roaster and JPSC has advertised those posts.
- Proposals for restructuring of existing posts and creation of new posts for both teaching and non-teaching staffs have been sent to Higher, Technical Education and Skill Development Department for approval.
- After getting motivation from the Hon’ble Chancellor the University started translation of Text books for UG / PG courses of Santhali and Ho subjects in Olchiki and Warangchiti scripts respectively.
- For the first time (NUSSD) Certificate/Award Distribution Ceremony was held on 20th June 2016 at Jamshedpur Women’s College, Jamshedpur in Collaboration with Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai and National Skill Development Agency in which 11 toppers got medal and total 310 students got certificate from TISS, Bombay; in which 72 Candidates got employment; Certificates were distributed by Sri Saryu Rai, Hon’ble Minister, Food, Public Distribution and Consumer Affairs and Dr. Neera Yadav, Hon’ble Minister, Human Resource Development Department.
- MOU has been done with British Council Library, Kolkata for access of their e-library to our students and faculties.
- MOU has been done with IIT Mumbai for development of communication and computer skill of our students and faculties.
- Process for establishment of two Language Labs – one at P.G. Centre and other at Ghatsila College has been initiated and efforts are being made to establish Language Lab at each Constituent College also.
- Process for construction of Smart classes with Video Conferencing facilities in each Constituent College and Post Graduate department is in progress.
- Efforts are being made to establish Solar Energy in the University Campus.
- 2nd Convocation is held successfully on 28th November 2016; in which 66 Gold Medals and 1882 degree Certificates are distributed. Hon’ble Governor-Cum-Chancellor of Universities of Jharkhand was the Chief Guest of the 2nd Convocation of K.U.
- Own P.G. Building inaugurated by Hon’ble Chancellor on 12 April 2016.
- All Post Graduate Departments have shifted in their own new P.G. Building.
- Foundation Stone for Central Library, Staff quarters and P.G. Hostels for Boys and Girls laid by the Hon’ble Minister, Higher & Technical Education Department, Dr. Neera Yadav on 21st June 2016.
- Model Mahila College has been started in Seraikela Kharsawan District in the Building Provided by the District Administration.
- Construction of Model College, Kharsawan also started in June 2016.
- University undertaken Social Impact Study of 05 Govt. projects and SIA of 12 Govt. projects are under consideration.