I WANT A CALL FROM THIS INSTITUTE
Founded in 1992, Jai Prakash Vishwavidyalaya (Jai Prakash University) is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the the rural setting of the large town of Chapra (population range of 50,000-249,999 inhabitants), Bihar. Officially accredited/recognized by the University Grants Commission, India, Jai Prakash Vishwavidyalaya (JPV) is a coeducational higher education institution. Jai Prakash Vishwavidyalaya (JPV) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. JPV also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, as well as administrative services.
JAI PRAKASH UNIVERSITY, CHAPRA (A Profile)
Jai Prakash Vishwavidyala (University) was established on 22.11.90 by the enactment of Section 3(b) of Bihar State Universities Act, 1976 with its Head Quarters at Chapra, after Carving it out from the then, Bihar University (now B.R.A. Bihar University) Muzaffarpur. The territorial jurisdiction of the University is stretched over the whole of Saran Division Comprising three districts of Chapra, Siwan and Gopalganj. The Colleges situated in these districts were automatically transferred to Jai Prakash University, Chapra. There are altogether 21 constitute Colleges, 11 affiliated colleges in which 2 are deficit Grant Colleges (including one minority college). There are some proposed Colleges of which a few are professional colleges.
These Constituent Colleges are:-
In Chapra (Saran) District.
- Rajendra College, Chapra (Saran)
- Jagdam College, Chapra (Saran)
- Jai Prakash Mahila College, Chapra (Saran)
- Ramjaipal College, Chapra (Saran)
- Ganga Singh College, Chapra (Saran)
- P. C. Vigyan College, Chapra (Saran)
- Jaglal Choudhary College, Chapra (Saran)
- Y. N. College, Dighwara, (Saran)
- Nandalal Singh College, Daudpur Jaitpur (Saran)
- P. N. College, Parsa, (Saran)
- H. R. College, Amnour, (Saran)
In Siwan District
- D.A.V.College, Siwan
- Vidya Bhawan Mahila College, Siwan
- Raja Singh College, Siwan
- R.B.G.R.College, Maharajganj, (Siwan)
- Narayan College, Goriyakothi, (Siwan)
- H. R. College, Mairwa, (Siwan)
In Gopalganj District
- Kamla Rai College, Gopalganj
- Mahendra Mahila College, Gopalganj
- Gopeshwar College, Hathwa, (Gopalganj)
- Bhola Prasad Singh College, Bhore, (Gopalganj)
The Affiliated Colleges are :-
- P.R. College, Sonpur, Saran. (Deficit Grant)
- Z.A. Islamia College, Siwan. (Deficit Grant and Minority College)
- Dr.P.N.Singh Degree College, Chapra.
- B.D.S.M. Mahila College, Salempur, Chapra.
- Lok Mahavidyalaya,Hafizpur Baniapur (Saran).
- Deoraha Baba Shridhar Das Degree College, Kadna Garkha (Saran).
- Daroga Pd.Rai Degree College, Siwan.
- Mazhrul Haque Degree College, Tarwara (Siwan).
- Desh Ratan Rajaendra Prasad Degree College, Ziradai (Siwan).
- Shri Mahendra Das Degree College, Mathia Nechua, Jalalpur (Gopalganj)
- Mata Rojhni Devi Chhathu Ram Degree College, Mairwa (Siwan)
The Proposed Colleges are :-
- Ram Jaipal Mahila College, Chapra
- Dr. R. N. Singh Evening College, Chapra
- Banaras Singh Degree College, Jalalpur, Saran
- Dr. Bhrigu Nath Yadav Degree College, Kachnar, Saran
- Basudeo Singh Memorial Degree College, Masrakh, Saran
- Sudha Devi Degree College, Tajpur, Manjhi, Saran
- Lakshman Janak Degree College, Dighwara, Saran
- Co-operative Degree College, Sakaddi Korar, Saran
- J. S. Bhardwaj Degree College, Dhup Nagar, Dhobawal, Nagra, Saran
- J. K. Degree College, Gheghta, Chapra, Saran
- Paras Kaushal Degree College, Chapra
- Shrikant Babu Degree College, Belawanawan, Kuchaikot, Gopalganj
- S. N. Pandey Degree College, Khajuriya, Barauli, Gopalganj
- Girja Jeetan Degree Mahavidyalaya, Bucheyan, Sidhwaliya, Gopalganj
- Babu Bhuvneshwar Prasad Degree College, Naviganj, Chapra, Saran
- Rajballam-Devendra-Manorma (R.D.M.) Degree College, Rathor Newaji Tola, Chapra, Saran
- Basudeo Singh Memorial Degree College, Mashrak, Saran
- R. A. Evening Degree College, Katahribag, Chapra
- Dr. Bhushan Prasad Yadav Degree College, Vill.-Mahamda tola Babhnaiya, PO.-Paharpur, PS.-Garkha, Dist.-Saran-841301.
- Umashankar-Ramjanm Evening College, Hanuman Nagar, Rathaur tola, Gurukul Mehiya, Chapra-841302.
- Shakti Shanti Degree College, Ambika Sthan, Ami, Dighwara, Chapra (Bihar)
- Hariharnath Degree Mahavidyalay, Paharichak Chaoonr, Sonpur, (Saran) 841101
The Proposed Professional Colleges are :-
- Ganga Singh Law College, Chapra
- Siwan Engineering & Technical Institute, Siwan
- Gorakh Singh B. Ed. College, Maharajganj
- Solanki Teachers Training College, Chapra
- A. Y. T. Teachers Training College, Vill-Sariya, P.O.+P.S. – Guthni (Siwan)
- Baikunth Teachers Training College, Vill-Amlouri (Siwan)
- S. R. Teachers Training College, Line Bazar, Mirganj (Gopalganj)
- Govt. Teacher Training College, Dhai Akhar Bhawan, Near Bus Stand, Chapra
- Mathura Singh Teachers Training College, Jalalpur, Khalpura, Saran
- Prakash B. Ed. Teacher Training College, Chetan Chapra, N.H. 101, Saran
- Basudeo Singh Memorial B.Ed. College, Mashrak, Saran, Bihar.
- Rajendra Kishori B.Ed. College, Sughari, Bhagwanpur, Siwan.
Earlier, all the above constituent Colleges now under J.P.University, Chapra were under the territorial jurisdiction of the then Bihar University, Muzaffarpur. These Colleges had been established and were functional much before the birth of J. P. University. Rajendra College, Chapra the oldest College (established in the year 1938) of this University, occupies a Special Status in the field of higher education. Bihar Govt. has decided to develop this college as Centre of Excellence and Community College also. All the Constituent Colleges are registered with the U.G.C. under Section 12(f) of the U.G.C. Act and are getting U.G.C. grants. Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India under special package to Bihar State has selected seven colleges of this University for improvement of laboratory etc. Each college will be given Rs. 50 lakh for this purpose.
There are altogether Seventeen P.G. Departments which have proved their excellence in imparting quality education in the field of Higher Education and providing opportunities to the Students in carrying out research works of international Standard coping with the need of the days.
The J.P. University, Chapra has achieved its success in translating its primary and provide quality education to the Students of this backward region of Bihar into practical reality. Now the Students of this region, who were unable to go to other Universities inside or outside the State and were compelled to discontinue their higher Studies due to financial constraints are finding themselves in a position to attain higher education & showing their worth, that in no way they are lagging behind the students of other regions.
As reported in several economic surveys conducted by the Government agencies as well as Several Academic Bodies and NGOs that the population of Saran Division Comprises large number of families whose economic Status touches the Poverty level. The University is striving hard to do away with the disparity between the poor and rich families not only by opening colleges in most backward & interior areas but encouraging these colleges introduce job oriented vocational courses with solitary aim to bridging the gap between education and financial status of the population of this region.
The students of Dalit & underprivileged communities are encouraged to achieve education under Distance Education Programmes of this University which is just like bringing the higher education to their doorstep.
The 242 acres of land on the eastern side of Chapra town for developing the campus of the Univeristy has been acquired. The campus is being developed according to the Master Plan prepared by internationally acclaimed town planners.
J. P. University, Chapra was recognized by the UGC but its constituent colleges were already recognized prior to the recognition of the University. Naturally, the University got allocation of UGC grants under the X Plan period to the tune of Rs. 80.50 lakh as development grant and Rs. 10.00 lakh as unassigned grant.
Under XI Plan, the University was allocated Rs. 5.00 crore as General Development Grant and Rs. 3.0125 crore as grant earmarked for Merged Scheme. Under GDG 2.5 crore has been spent on the construction of Science Block and Rs. 1.5 crore has been spent on Social Science & Language – Humanities Block. Rs. 1 crore of GDG allocated, the University has utilized for purchase of books, journals and equipments.
The University has received more than 50% of the total grants allocated under the XI Plan period for implementation of the Merged Scheme. Under this scheme, construction of Central Library building, Women’s Hostel, Indoor Stadium and Basic facilities for Women building has been started, and are at various stages of completion. After receiving grants from UGC within six months these buildings will be functional. The University is also serious about the projects for guest house, botanical garden, Lok Nayak J. P. Study Centre, Bhikhari Thakur Study Centre, Human Rights Study Centre, beautification of Jai Prakash University campus and making it green by tree plantations etc. It is also serious about planning the development of the University under the XII Plan period. During XII plan period UGC has released 1.25 crore in 2012 which has been utilized in purchasing of journals, books and equipments.
From the grant received State Government main road from University main gate to administrative building has been made. Construction of a Canteen has been started in the campus which has also been funded by the State Government.
Further support of the state Govt. as well of the other funding agencies will give momentum to the pace of multi dimensional development of the University and a new era will start for the students of this backward area in general & for the poor & underprivileged students in particular and they will have all opportunities to have a leap in the pursuit of higher education.
Academic Programmes and Courses offered by the University
The university facilitates the study of two years intermediate programme run by Bihar Intermediate Council in its colleges. The admission to the intermediate programme is open to those students only who have successfully cleared the Matric examination of Bihar School Examination Board or any of its equivalent examination. Admission into the selected colleges is solely based upon the merit. The conduction of Intermediate examination and its results are the sole responsibility of Bihar Intermediate Council.
2. Three-Year Degree Programmes
Three-Year Degree Programmes are offered in the disciplines of Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, and Commerce. The university offers teaching and examination facilities at Honours and General level in the aforesaid fields of education. The University Grant Commission (U. G. C.) has allowed for the Functional Hindi (Honours) and Industrial Fish and Fisheries(Honours) programmes in Rajendra College, Chapra and Ganga Singh College, Chapra respectively. The admission in the corresponding courses is open to those candidates only who have successfully cleared the Intermediate level examination. However, it is mandatory to clear the intermediate level exam with a score of at least 45 % in the related subjects to take admission in Honours level.
3. Three-Year Programmes in Law
Three-year graduation programme is available here. The minimum criteria for admission in LL.B. Part I programme is to have a graduation degree in any discipline with atleast 40 % of marks.
4. Post-Graduate Programmes
The duration of these programmes is two years. P.G. programmes are offered in the following subjects:
(a). Faculty of Humanities
Hindi, Sanskrit, English, Urdu, Philosophy
(b). Faculty of Social
Political Science, Economics, History, Psychology, Geography
(c). Faculty of Science Zoology, Botany, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics
(d). Faculty of Commerce Commerce
5. Distance Education Programmes
The university is committed to its mission to provide education to all:
The university is committed to its mission to provide education to all by offering high quality innovative and need-based programmes at different levels, especially to the underprivileged segments of society at affordable costs; and,
promote, coordinate and regulate the standards of education offered through open and distance education mode.
The programmes conducted by the distance learning council are governed by the Regulation and Ordinance passed by University’s Academic Council and Syndicate. These have been asserted by the Chancellor after being approved by the Senate. The University is planning to launch the following courses soon.(TO BE ADDED):
1. B.C.A. Bachelor of Computer Application 3yr.
2. B.B.A. Bachelor of Business Administration 3yr.
3. B.J.M.C. Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication 1yr.
4. B. Li. Inf. Sc. Bachelor of Library Information Science 3yr.
5. B.A., B.Com., B.Sc. Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Science(Under Distance Mode) 3yr.
6. M.A., M.Com., M.Sc. Post Graduation in Mathematics & Statistics 3yr.
The university has four main faculties:
Faculty of Social Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Geography
Faculty of Science
- Department of Botany
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Physics
- Department of Mathematics
Faculty of Commerce
- Department of Commerce
Faculty of Humanities
- Department of Hindi
- Department of English
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Urdu
- Department of Philosophy