Founded in 1987, Dr. B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar (Dr B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar) is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the the urban setting of the medium-sized city of Jalandhar (population range of 500,000-1,000,000 inhabitants), Punjab. Officially accredited/recognized by the Department of Higher Education of the Ministry of Human Resources Development, India, Dr. B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar (NIT Jalandhar) is a small (enrollment range: 3,000-3,999 students) coeducational higher education institution. Dr. B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar (NIT Jalandhar) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. This 30 years old H.E. institution has a selective admission policy based on entrance examinations. International students are welcome to apply for enrollment. NIT Jalandhar also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, housing, sport facilities and/or activities, as well as administrative services.
Vision & Mission
“To build a rich intellectual potential embedded with interdisciplinary knowledge, human values and professional ethics among the youth, aspirant of becoming engineers and technologists, so that they contribute to society and create a niche for a successful career”.
“To become a leading and unique institution of higher learning, offering state-of-the-art education, research and training in engineering and technology to students who are able and eager to become change agents for the industrial and economic progress of the nation. To nurture and sustain an academic ambience conducive to the development and growth of committed professionals for sustainable development of the nation and to accomplish its integration into the global economy. To strive to be a Swachch NIT providing a guarantee of clean hostel, clean mess, clean water and hygienic & wholesome food to its students”.
The city of Jalandhar is situated between the rivers Sutlej and Beas on National Highway 1. It is one of the important towns of Punjab and is known for rich educational, cultural and literary activities. It is an internationally renowned industrial centre for sports goods, leather goods and hand-tools. The city is 370 kms away from Delhi enroute to Amritsar and is easily accessible from Delhi by train or bus. The Shatabdi Express trains plying from New Delhi in the morning at 07.20 hrs and in the evening at16.30 hrs, are the best modes of travel to Jalandhar. This train takes less than 5 hours to reach Jalandhar City.
The institute is located on the G T Road bye pass at a distance of 15 kms from Jalandhar bus-stand, 12 kms from Jalandhar city railway station and 18 kms from Jalandhar Cantt railway station. It is at a walking distance of half a km from Bidhipur railway crossing. Auto rickshaw and taxi services are available regularly from railway stations as well as the bus-stand.
The admissions to the B.Tech programs run by the institute are very competitive having acceptance ratio nearly 2-3%. Students were admitted on the basis of All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) till 2012 but from 2013 the admission are based on Joint Entrance Examination Main (JEE Main) conducted across India.Total seats for B.Tech is 786 for 2011 admissions. Admissions to the MTech programs are by the GATE exam conducted by the IITs and IISc. The postgraduate admission is on the basis of research and interviews by the appropriate screening committees.
The following departments are present. All departments offer courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and are actively involved in research in their specific fields.
- Applied Chemistry
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (Now Discontinued i.e No New Batches)
- Humanities and Management
- Industrial and Production Engineering
- Information Technology (Now Discontinued i.e No New Batches)
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering (Now Discontinued i.e No New Batches)
- Textile Technology
The institute is regularly visited by Indian and foreign Multinational corporations for offering jobs to final-year B.Tech and M.Tech students. The ratio of number of students placed to total number is nearly 1:1, with a number of students receiving multiple job offers. Campus Interviews are arranged for the final year B.Tech/ M.Tech/ M.Sc. students. A large number of reputed Industrial houses in the country visit the Institution and select the final year students as Engineers/ Management Trainees. Some of the Companies invite the students to their Corporate Offices for the interviews.
The students of National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar are drawn from all parts of the country. There are seven (plus one extension to hostel number 7) boys’ hostels, two girls’ hostels and a mega girls’ hostel. A mega hostel for boys having capacity of 1600 student is under construction. The facilities of reading room, indoor games, etc. are available in each hostel. Internet facility is provided in every hostel. Other facilities like gysers, water purifiers are provided in all the hostels. The residential accommodation in hostels comprises cubicles and dormitories which have four-seater, two-seater and one-seater facility allotted on the basis of the year and course of study the student is pursuing.There are badminton courts and special reading rooms which provide a good environment in the hostels.
The Institute campus is wide spread over an area of 154 acres. It has many topographical features, various buildings of different nature with clean and wide roads surrounded by a green belt. The campus area has been broadly divided into different functional zones:
- Institution zone for teaching (departments/centers/administration)
- Residential zone for the faculty and staff
- Students’ hostel zone.
Other amenities on the campus include:
- Computer Centre
- Central Library
- Central Workshop
- Central Seminar Hall
- Post Office
- Banks (State Bank of Patiala, Canara Bank)
- Shopping Complex
- Guest House
- Gymnasium Hall
- Open Air Theatre
- Sports Complex
- Students’ Activity Centre
- Bus Transport
- New M.Sc Department Building
- Mega Boys Hostel (3 Blocks completed)
- Modern Lecture Theaters
Under construction buildings:
- Mega Boys Hostel (3 more Blocks)
- Expansion of Workshop
- Technology Business Incubators(G+7) – Under Startup India Scheme
- Multi Purpose Stadium with 15000 seating capacity
- Type V QRTS(G+8) 4+1BHK
To promote academic and cultural activities in the department, as well as raise awareness about best practices related to the academic domain, each department has a dedicated society:
- Society of Civil Engineers (SocCEr)
- Chemical Engineering Society (CES)
- Professional Association of Computer Engineers (PACE)
- Society of Electronics and Communication Engineers (SOECE)
- Society of Progressive Instrumentation and Control Engineers (SPICE)
- The Industrial Engineers Society (TIES)
- Society of Mechanical Engineers (SOME)
- The Institute of Textile Technicians Society (TITS)
- Society of Bio-Tech Engineers and Researchers (SOBER)
Apart from the above, to make students well aware of their field, there are student chapters of internationally acclaimed societies.
The ASME Student Section is an institute chapter of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. It strives to bring technical competency and excellency among the students of mechanical engineering and of all the disciplines. It actively organizes technical events and web seminars by eminent people throughout the year. It has taken initiative to promote awareness for greener technology, stressing for the need of conserving energy and preserving the ecosystem.
Fests on campus
TechNITi : A techno-management fest that is conducted during the odd semester in mid-September. Participants from all over the country converge for this three-day event, which is usually the highlight of student life on campus. The fest involves events from all the departments, including from robotics, workshops, guest lectures and informals.
Utkansh : A cultural fest that is conducted during the even semester, which aims at drawing out the creative side of the techies on campus. The event is usually a four-day affair that occurs during the end of March. Each day usually has theme-based events; previous themes have included folk, rock, Kavi Sammelan (poets meet), comedy, theater, fusion etc.
The active societies include:
- The Music and Dramatics Society (MADS) brings together music and drama buffs. The society holds the prime responsibility of hosting UTKANSH (the annual cultural fest) as well as BHARAT DHWANI or NIT Day which is celebrated to commemorate national unity as well as the day when the college was upgraded to NIT status from its erstwhile REC tag.
- The Literary and Debating Society (LADS) organises events including quizzes, mock parliaments, devil’s advocate, as well as writing competitions. The society holds the prime responsibility for the publication of the institute newsletter, CAPSLOCK, which highlights issues relating to the entire fraternity on campus.
- The Fine Arts Society is for the creative and gifted in arts. It organizes events in painting, pottery and best out of waste, to name a few.
- The Photography Society is for the avid shutterbug. They hold photo contests whose themes have included shadow photography, fashion photography and landscapes of campus.
- The Movie Club organises movie screenings as well as movie-making contests known as IMAGINEERS and advertisement making competitions known as ADGINEERS.
- Rajbhasha Samiti is the society for promotion of the national language. Apart from organizing language-specific writing and speaking contests, it aims to increase the use of the national language in the technical sphere. It bring out an annual Hindi magazine Parikrima.
- PRAYAAS is a student-run club for teaching the poor children of construction workers on campus and slums near the campus. It is also involved in many charitable activities. Vinod Kumavat is the current precident of the organisation.
- QUEST is a quizzing club. It organises various quizzes and helps spread the quizzing culture in the institute.