BPS – The First Women University in North India
Today’s Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila Vishwavidyalaya is the ‘dream come true’ of Bhagat Phool Singh Ji, who established a Gurukul for girls at Khanpur Kalan in 1936. Even after the demise of Bhagat Phool Singh, his equally dynamic daughter Subhashini Ji not only took control of Gurukul but worked vigorously in expanding the Gurukul in terms of its various constituent institutions like BPS Memorial Girls’ College (1967), BPS College of Education (1968), MSM Ayurvedic College (1973), BPS Mahila Polytechnic (1984), TIG Bhainswal Kalan(1999) and PSD Girls’ Law College (2003).
The State Government under the leadership of Shri Bhupinder Singh Hooda, the Honorable Chief Minister of Haryana took cognizance and upgraded the erstwhile Gurukul to the status of a University exclusively for women in August 2006 and christened it as Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila Vishwavidyalaya, which happens to be the first State Women University of North India. Since then BPSMV has undergone a complete transformation; a 75 years old Gurukul started with only three girls has turned into a modern university with approximately 7000 girls on its rolls studying in various programmes.
The university is spread over lush green, pollution free 500 acres of networked & safe campus, juxtaposing tradition with modernity.
The first State Women University of North India providing education from KG to PhD level.
The university has established the Centre for Society- University Interface and Research (CSUIR) which offers innovative programmes like Integrated Energy Resource Management, Micro Finance Practices, and Folk Medicine etc.
BPSMV is the first and only Indian university to establish UGC Area Study Centre for Indic-Asian Studies.
The University offers innovative, job oriented programmes in various disciplines.
The university has established state of the art Language Labs and Staff Training and Research Institute for Teaching of English.
The university has signed MOUs with many foreign universities of repute.
Free placement and personality development assistance is provided to all the enrolled students.
The university organsied Women Youth Parliament to hone leadership skills of students.
The university has implemented all the good practices pertaining to academic, sports and cultural areas.
Bhagat Phool Singh Women’s University has its origins in the ideas of the social reformer Bhagat Phool Singh. Considering educated woman as the key to social improvement, Singh established a gurukul for girls at Khanpur Kalan village in 1936. He attracted enemies for his efforts and was assassinated on 14 August 1942.
After Singh’s, his daughter, Subhashini Devi, took control of the gurukul and went on to establish Girls’ College (1967), Education College (1968), Ayurvedic College (1973), Mahila Polytechnic (1984), TIG Bhainswal Kalan (1999) and Law College (2003). Recognising her contribution, the Government of India conferred the Padma Shri on her in 1976.
The constituent institutes of the university are (incomplete list):
Bhagat Phool Singh Kanya Gurukul, Khanpur Kalan
Bhagat Phool Singh Girls College, Khanpur Kalan
Bhagat Phool Singh Education College, Khanpur Kalan
Bhagat Phool Singh Ayurvedic College, Khanpur Kalan
Bhagat Phool Singh Medical College, Khanpur Kalan
Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila Polytechnic, Khanpur Kalan
Bhagat Phool Singh TIG Bhainswal Kalan, Khanpur Kalan
Bhagat Phool Singh Law College, Khanpur Kalan
Receive latest news and updates about Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila Vishwavidyalaya through e-mail or Sms, by entering your details below:
Bhagat Phool Singh Women University has approximately 7000 students. It provides education from nursery level through to doctorate, with many courses being of a vocational nature. Disciplines include engineering, law, management, commerce, economics, pharmacy, rural entrepreneurship development, hospitality and hotel administration, social work, education, applied sciences, various modern languages and ayurveda. Bhagat Phool Singh Women University is the first Indian university to Set up the UGC Area Study Centre for Indic and Asian Studies. In order to promote research, the university has introduced a PhD programme in various subjects.
Academic Staff College
It also has Academic Staff College which conducts Orientation and Refresher courses and Workshops for teacher participants from all over the country. So far 35 such programmes benefiting approximately 1000 teachers have been organized by the ASC.
The BPS Women University has signed MoUs for faculty, students and programme exchange with many international universities, these include, St. Catherine University, USA, Baltimore University, USA, Nottingham Trent University,UK and Kwangwoon University, South Korea. The University is regularly visited by international faculty and students for academic and cultural exchange.
Front Line Demonstration Centre
Since Bhagat Phool Singh Women University is situated in rural settings, it has collaborated with the farmers of neighboring villages for developing modern techniques of farming. The university with the assistance of Haryana Government’s Indo-Israel Project has set up Front Line Demonstration Centre (FLDC).
The FLDC Centre is engaged in growing fruits and vegetables with modern techniques. As a result, the farmers are trained in getting maximum yield from their fields.
The University is well connected through road to National Highway number 01, Delhi and the neighboring towns of Rohtak, Sonipat, Panipat, Gohana and Gannaur.