Tamil Nadu State NEET Counseling 2022 – NEET is a national-level exam that is conducted by a National Testing Agency (NTA) for students who have passed their 12th class in the stream of medical. This exam is for the students to get admitted to MBBS, BDS, or any other medical courses. The association which is known as the Medical Council of India (MCI) releases all the guidelines related to testing schedules, testing dates, and other important instructions.
The scope and the craze of the medical field are increasing in students every year. It can be predicted that the interest of students has increased because of the rise in the number of students appearing in the NEET exams. According to a survey, almost 14 Lakhs students appeared in the last NEET exam that was conducted. Only close to only 50% of the total appearing students got selected at the qualifying stage. This exam is considered by all the medical institute that offers admissions for medical courses. It is the only exam through which students can get admitted to the desired course in any medical college/university across India. It plays a vital role for the students who want to pursue their career in the field of MBBS, BDS, or any other medical specializations to serve humanity.
After the students have appeared in the NEET examination, they all are eagerly waiting for the results to be declared, so that the counseling process can begin as soon as possible. These counseling dates are announced by the Medical Counseling Committee (MCC). This medical committee is responsible for conducting NEET counseling procedures on the behalf of Directorate General of Health Sciences (DGHS). They are responsible for the allocation of medical seats in top medical colleges like AIIMS, JIPMER, and many more at the state or national level.
Many medical counselings are held at the state level in India. For this article, we are going to discuss the counseling procedure for Tamil Nadu state. Directorate of Medical Education (DME), Tamil Nadu, is the medical body that conducts Tamil Nadu state counseling for admissions in MBBS/BDS on basis of marks obtained in NEET exams. There are 8000 MBBS and more than 2800 BDS seats available in the state to be allotted for eligible students every year. The Directorate of Medical Education in Tamil Nadu holds this counseling for 85% of seats under the state quota.
A merit list is made which consists of ranks and marks obtained by students who have applied to get admission in this quota. According to this merit list, students have to download the call letters and report accordingly to the allotted institutes. During the process of Tamil Nadu NEET counseling students/candidates are asked to submit their choices of colleges as well as the course they wish to get admission in. Based on these choices the above-mentioned merit list which compromises NEET score, reservation quota, state rank, and many other factors is made.
This article moving forward will cover important information like counseling criteria, documents required, qualifying cutoff, last year’s cut-off, types of NEET counseling, and much more relevant information.
Recently, there were many important changes introduced in the counseling procedure for NEET. These changes were introduced and applied by MCC and DGHS. Below are some of those changes:
- Four rounds were introduced for NEET counseling.
- New registration will only be entertained in the first three rounds.
- A candidate can withdraw their registration only in the first counseling round.
- Candidates who have been allotted medical seats in any of the one counseling rounds will not be allowed to sit in any further counseling round.
- The vacant seats will be allotted in the 4th round to interested candidates.
Now, that we are clear of all the counseling schedule changes and a basic overview of Tamil Nadu state counseling. Let us cover some more important factors below.
Before we continue with eligibility criteria and eligible candidates, let us discuss the types of NEET counseling that are done by MCC or DME in the state of Tamil Nadu. Below are the types of NEET counseling done in Tamil Nadu:
- For 15% of seats in the All India Quota (AIQ), the counseling process is handled by Medical Counseling Committee (MCC).
- For seats in central or deemed universities, the medical counseling committee is the conducting body in Tamil Nadu.
- The Directorate of Medical Education (DME), Tamil Nadu is responsible for conducting NEET counseling for 85% of the state seats.
- Finally, for all the medical seats in private colleges Directorate of Medical Education (DME) is responsible for their successful completion.
Now, that we are clear about the types of NEET counseling that are conducted every year, we can move forward and check for the basic eligibility criteria. Candidates/students who have qualified for NEET 2022 and are eligible for Tamil Nadu state NEET counseling have to meet some prerequisites. Below are the basic requirement needed:
- Candidates who have passed all the exams till class 12th from a recognized board have to present documents like birth certificate, graduation certificate, and detailed marks sheet at the time of verification.
- Students/candidates should have the status of Indian citizenship and must also hold a domicile proving them to be residents of Tamil Nadu state.
- Candidates should not fall under the age of 17 years. Also for general category candidates, the maximum age should not cross 25 years, if that candidate wants to appear in Tamil Nadu state NEET counseling. In the case of SC, ST, and OBC candidates the maximum age allowed is 30 years.
- Under academic qualification, the candidate must have qualified for their higher secondary education in the stream of Biology.
- To be eligible for NEET counseling the candidate must have a minimum aggregate of 50% in the 12th standard.
- This percentage for the 12th standard decreases and reaches 40% in the case of SC/ST/OBC candidates. For PWD candidates, 45% marks are required.
NEET counseling in Tamil Nadu also offers admission under domicile criteria. Some additional certificates are needed to be submitted for the continuation of the eligibility process. These documents are:
- Nativity certificate- For the candidates, who have completed their 6th to 12th standard studies in the state of Tamil Nadu, they need to present a nativity certificate. A permanent residency certificate will not be acceptable in place of this native certificate for counseling procedures.
- Domicile candidates- For candidates who might have partially completed their studies of classes 6-12th from outside the state also need to submit their birth certificate, ration card, 10 and 12th class certificate, and no graduate certificate (if the parents are not literate).
- Candidates also need to submit an understanding which states that they are not participating in any other state counseling as well.
- NRI candidates are eligible for Tamil Nadu state NEET counseling under the management quota.
- Candidates who are just studying in Tamil Nadu, but originally are from another state will only be allowed to take get admitted under the open category, but not under the state quota.
Documents Required for the Counseling
If a candidate is willing to participate in Tamil Nadu NEET counseling then they must have all the important documents that will help them with the counseling procedure. All the required documents for NEET counseling are listed below:
- Mark sheets from the 10th to 12th class are required. Original as well as a photocopy (from both sides) must be attached.
- A transfer certificate from the last school that the candidate attend is a must.
- The candidate must also present the certificates from 6th to 12th standard as proof that the studies were continued in the state of Tamil Nadu.
- As we know NEET exam is important to get admitted to any medical college. Hence, the NEET scorecard and admit card must be attached along with all the required documents. A residential certificate is also required for the candidates who have completed their 6th to 12 class studies from outside of Tamil Nadu.
- A permanent community certificate and parents certificate is required for the candidates who belong to the domicile of the state.
- Finally, a special category form is required to be filled in the favor of the selection committee. The fee for filling up this form is only 100 INR.
Category of Seats under Tamil Nadu NEET Counseling
There are 8 categories under which the seats are allotted for counseling candidates in the different institutes. Both governments, as well as private colleges, are divided into these 8 categories. Those are:
- Category A- Under this category, all seats from the government medical colleges are considered. Top institutes like Rajah Muthiah Medical College, ESIC Medical College, Government Erode Medical College, and PGIMSR come under this category.
- Category B- Under this category, the seats under the government quota in self-financing medical colleges are considered. Institute/ medical colleges that do self-financing belong under this category.
- Category C- Seats in all government dental colleges belong to Category C. All dental institutes that are public, are covered under this category.
- Category D- Rajah Muthiah dental college is among the top dental colleges in Tamil Nadu. Hence, all seats of these colleges plus government quota seats in self-financing dental colleges are covered under this category. Both colleges are covered under Category D.
- Category E- There is a dedicated category for management and NRI candidates. Hence, this category includes management/NRI quota seats. Admissions are given in self-financing medical colleges.
- Category F– Minority seats are covered under this category. Self-financing medical/dental colleges belong to this category.
- Category G- Seats for management and NRI are provided in Category G. Self-financing dental colleges are covered here.
- Category H- This is the final category for Tamil Nadu NEET counseling. Seats in Christian Medical College are offered under this section. Only one medical college is covered under this category, that is, Christian Medical College, Vellore.
Tamil Nadu NEET Counseling Application Procedure and Counseling Fee
There is an application process involved in the counseling round. Those processes are as follows :
- The candidates who have made it to the merit list are requested to start and complete the registration process. After this, the candidates need to enter the preferred medical course via an online process. Considering their choices seats in selected medical institutes are allocated.
- All important information like marks obtained, identity details, residency details, etc should be legal and properly filled up in the application form.
- After the online application process completion, the candidate needs to submit a hard copy of the documents as well as the application form via post or courier.
- There is a non-refundable counseling fee involved in the registration process. For candidates from special categories, 100 INR is required and for all other candidates, a fee of 500 INR is required to be paid.
- After this registration process completion, the candidates must check the rank list which will be made available on the official website. This list will be made based on scores obtained by the candidate.
- When the merit list is released, counseling authorities start scheduling the first round of counseling. Merit list candidates will be informed about the venue and all other details for the counseling schedule.
Candidates are requested to download and bring the call letter from the official website of the institute.
If we talk about the qualifying cut-off for Tamil Nadu NEET counseling of last year, then the cut-off score for a candidate under the general category was 720-138. For OBC, SC, and ST candidates the cut-off was 137-108. For the general category candidate with a physical disability, the cut-off scores were 137-122 and for OBC, SC, and ST with a physical disability, the cut-off was 121-108.
Multiple medical tests were conducted before NEET was declared a national entrance exam for admissions to medical institutions across the country. This helped candidates/students to just focus on one exam. NEET counseling in Tamil Nadu also makes a merit list of candidates based on marks obtained in the NEET exam. Hence the transparency and seat allotment process are unique in every way possible. With this transparency, every candidate can choose any medical course from any medical institute to get admitted.
To conclude, we can say that Tamil Nadu NEET counseling is among the best state NEET Counseling which offers admissions in numerous MBBS/BDS courses, and as mentioned above, those 8 categories, which divide candidates help MCC as well as other involved authorities to work effectively and efficiently.
See Also: NTA NEET 2022 Question Paper
If you have any queries regarding admission to the Tamil Nadu State NEET Counseling Leave your comment below.