I WANT A CALL FROM THIS INSTITUTE
Established in 1971, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the the urban setting of the medium-sized city of Coimbatore (population range of 500,000-1,000,000 inhabitants), Tamil Nadu. This institution has also branch campuses in the following location(s): Tirupur. Officially accredited/recognized by the University Grants Commission, India, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) is a small (enrollment range: 3,000-3,999 students) coeducational higher education institution. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as pre-bachelor degrees (i.e. certificates, diplomas, associate or foundation degrees), bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. This 46 years old H.E. institution has a selective admission policy based on students’ past academic record and grades. The admission rate range is 50-60% making this Indian higher education organization a averagely selective institution. International applicants are eligible to apply for enrollment. TNAU also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, sport facilities and/or activities, financial aids and/or scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, online courses and distance learning opportunities, as well as administrative services.
Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) is an agrotechnology provider of India and its graduates are recognized throughout the world. The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University had its genesis from establishment of an agricultural school at Saidapet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India, as early as 1868 which was later relocated at Coimbatore during 1906.
The university offers thirteen undergraduate degree programs, forty graduate degree programs and twenty-six doctoral programs in 15 colleges distributed in 11 campuses all over Tamil Nadu. TNAU has 36 research centers for agrotechnology development and 14 Farm Science Centers for outreach.
In 1920 it was affiliated to Madras University. TNAU assumed full responsibilities of Agricultural Education and Research and supported the State Agricultural Department by delivering research products. Till 1946, the Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore, was the only Institute for Agricultural Education for the whole of South India. In 1958, it was recognized as a post-graduate centre leading to master’s and doctoral degrees. The Agricultural College and Research Institute, Madurai was established in 1965. These two colleges formed the nucleus of the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University while it was established in 1971.
In 1972, separate degree programmes of B.Sc. (Horticulture) and B.E. (Agriculture) were started. In 1979, a separate Faculty of Horticulture was established. In 1980, B.Sc. (Home Science) programme was started at the Madurai campus. The third agricultural college was started at Killikulam in 1984 and the fourth at Kumulur (Trichy) in 1989 and later shifted to Navalur Kuttappattu (Trichy) in 1992 which is named as Anbil Dharmalingam Agricultural College and Research Institute. During 1985, B.Sc. (Forestry) programme was started at Coimbatore. Presently the B.Sc. (Horticulture) degree programme is being offered at Horticultural College and Research Institute, Periyakulam and B.Sc. (Forestry) degree programme at Forest College and Research Institute, Mettupalayam. In line with technological changes the B.E. (Agriculture) hitherto offered is offered as B.Tech.(Agricultural Engineering) from the academic year 2002–2003 at Agricultural Engineering College and Research Institute, Kumulur, Trichy. B.Sc. (Home Science) degree program is being offered at Home Science College and Research Institute, Agricultural College Campus, Madurai. The Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru College of Agriculture and Research Institute, Karaikal, governed by the government of Pondichery, is an affiliated institute of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University where B.Sc. (Agriculture) course is being offered. Apart from these academic institutes, the University now has research programs at more than 32 stations, spread over in Tamil Nadu with more than 1200 scientists and teaching faculty.
The global technological developments have led to introduction of new courses. Introduction of B.Tech. (Food Process Engineering) from the academic year 1998–99, B.Tech. (Agricultural Biotechnology) and B.Tech. (Horticulture) from the academic year 2002–2003 as a self-supporting program has created avenues for budgetary independence. A new degree program B.Tech. (Energy and Environmental Engineering) was started during 2004 and B.Tech. (Bioinformatics) during 2006. B.Tech. (Agricultural Information Technology) and B.S. (Agribusiness Management) were started in 2007.
- 1868: Agricultural School was started at Saidapet, Chennai (Madras).
- 1906: The Saidapet Agricultural School was shifted to Coimbatore and foundation stone laid for Madras Agricultural College.
- 1908: Students were admitted to education program leading to Licentiate in Agriculture (L. Ag.)
- 1909: Opening of Agricultural College and Research Institute (AC & RI) by Sir Arthur Lawley.
- 1920: The AC & RI was affiliated to Madras University. A new course of study leading to a three-year degree in Agriculture -B.Sc. (Ag.) was started.
- 1945: Second Agricultural College was started at Bapatla (Now in Andhra Pradesh).
- 1958: Regional Post-Graduate Center was established to offer programs leading to master’s degree in Agriculture & Horticulture.In Annamalai university,Agriculture teaching started leading to award of M.Sc.(Ag)in Horticulture first of its kind in India.
- 1960: Integrated system with four year B.Sc. (Ag) degree program after pre-university education was introduced and subsequently doctoral program in Agriculture was started.
- 1965: Third Agricultural College was started at Madurai, Tamil Nadu and the Masters program at Madurai was introduced during 1969.
- 1971: The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University came into existence with Coimbatore as its headquarters.The first vice chancellor Dr.G.Rengasamy was from ANNAMALAI UNIVERSITY which was having Faculty of Agriculture from 1958 onwards teaching agriculture and horticulture.
- 1972: A separate Faculty of Horticulture was established and a degree program in Horticulture – B.Sc. (Hort.) was introduced. The College of Agricultural Engineering was established at Coimbatore and a bachelor’s degree program in Agricultural Engineering – B.E.(Ag) was introduced.
- 1973: Doctoral program was introduced in Horticultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore.
- 1975: Faculty of Post Graduate Education was established in TNAU, Coimbatore and master’s and doctoral (1978) programs were started in Environmental Sciences and Biotechnology.
- 1976: The Madras Veterinary College became constituent unit of TNAU and B.V.Sc. degree program was suitably restructured*.
- 1977: Bachelor’s degree (B.F.Sc.) program in Fisheries Science at Thoothukudi was started*.
- Masters and doctoral program in Agricultural Engineering was introduced.
- 1980: Bachelor’s degree (B.Sc. (H.Sc.)) in Home Science was launched in Madurai Campus.
- 1981: Master’s program was introduced in Home Science College & Research Institute, Madurai and doctoral program in 1988.
- 1989: Doctoral program in Agriculture was introduced in Agricultural college & Research Institute, Madurai; Masters program introduced in Forest College & Research Institute, Mettupalayam and Horticultural College & Research Institute, Periyakulam.
- 1990: Master’s program in Agriculture was introduced in Agricultural College & Research Institute, Killikulam, Thoothukudi district, Tamil Nadu and Doctoral program in Forest College & Research Institute, Mettupalayam.
- 1998: B.Tech. (Food Process Engineering) introduced as self-supporting program.
- 2002: B.Tech. (Horticulture) and B.Tech(Agriculture Biotechnology) introduced as self-supporting programs.
- 2004: B.Tech. (Energy and Environmental Engineering) introduced as a self-supporting program.
- 2005: Centennial celebrations of AC&RI, Coimbatore.
- 2006: B.Tech. (Bioinformatics) introduced as a self-supporting program.
- 2007: B.Tech. (Agricultural Information Technology) and B.S.(Agribusiness Management)introduced as a self-supporting programs. Nanotechnology introduced in undergraduate curriculum.
- 2008: Dual Degree Masters Program with Cornell University, Ithaca, USA introduced. Dual degree option with Dalhousie University, Canada established for undergraduate program in B.Tech.(Environmental Landscape Horticulture)
- 2011: B.Sc. (Sericulture) introduced. M.Tech. (Ag.) in Nanotechnology introduced and M.Tech. in Environmental Engineering introduced.
- 2012: Masters program introduced in Plant Genetic Resource and Remote Sensing.
The university offers 13 undergraduate programs, 40 graduate programs and 27 doctoral programs. As the university switched over to the e-learning from the academic year 2007, it was made compulsory for first-year students to procure personal laptops. In 2013 facilities have been created for students to pay fees through State Bank Collect using Internet.
Affiliated private management colleges
- Adhiparasakthi Agricultural College, G.B. Nagar, Kalavai, Vellore District – 632 506.
- Vanavarayar Institute of Agriculture, Manakkadavu, Pollachi – 642 103.
- Thanthai Roever Institute of Agriculture and Rural Development, Perambalur – 621 212.
- College of Agricultural Technology, Kullapuram, Vaigaidam, Theni District – 625 562.
- PGP College of Agricultural Science, Palani Nagar, Vettambadi, Namakkal – 637 405
- Imayam Institute of Agricultural Technology, Kannanur, Thuraiyur Tk, Trichy Dt.-621 206
- RVS Agricultural College, Usilampatti, Manaiyeripatti Post, Thanjavur dt.-613 402
- Kumaraguru Institute of Agriculture, Sakthi Nagar, Erode District.
- J.K.K.Munirajah College of Agricultural Science, TN Palayam, Gobi(TK), Erode District.
- Don Bosco College of Agriculture,Takkolam, Arakonam (TK), Vellore District.
- RVS Padmavathy Horticultural College, RVS Farm, S.Paraipatty Post, Oddanchatram
Road, Sembatti, Dindigul District-624 701
- SRS Institute of Agriculture and Technology,Vedasandur,Dindigul District-624 710
Pondicherry Government Owned College. Functions as Registered Society. Affiliated to Pondicherry University
- Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru College of Agriculture and Research Institute, Karaikal, Puducherry
- Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology, Thanjavur
|Name||Tamil Nadu Agricultural University|
|Name||तमिलनाडु कृषि विश्वविद्यालय|
|Motto||Uzhuvom, Uzhaippom, Uyarvom|
Till, Toil, Triumph
|Colours||Red and white|
641 003 Tamil Nadu
|+91 (422) 243 1788|
|+91 (422) 243 1672|