If you are looking for something to pursue after completing your BPT without going for a job, you can opt for a Master in Physiotherapy. There are a lot of options for the students of the Master of Physiotherapy programs such as specializing in neurorehabilitation, orthopaedic manipulative therapy, or sports physiotherapy. It is designed to advance the student’s clinical reasoning and patient management skills beyond those of an entry-level practitioner and to serve as one of the requirements for specialization.
If you want to learn how to examine and treat patients with movement problems using advanced, drug-free clinical skills, obtaining a Master’s degree in Physiotherapy can be a great option. It also includes neurological, metabolic, and musculoskeletal conditions. You’ll also learn how to help people avoid injury and lead a healthy lifestyle as a student of physiotherapy.
What is MPT?
The College of Medicine and Allied Sciences offers a two-year Master of Physiotherapy (MPT) degree program. As a medical science program, this is for those who want to work in the field but don’t want a speciality in medicine or surgery. In physical therapy, the goal is to enhance a patient’s bodily functions. Physical therapy and other medical services that work closely with doctors and other medical staff are included in the category of primary care treatments.
The Admissions Process for MPT
To get into an MPT program, you can either wait for colleges and universities to release their cutoff list or take the entrance exams. Most students must take an entrance exam to be considered for this program, which is only available at a few colleges.
If you wish to apply in person, you may do so by visiting the college’s campus and completing an application form there. The online application process for this course is detailed below:
- You can sign up for the course online at the official site.
- Fill out the application after reading the instructions thoroughly.
- Upload the necessary documents, review the application form, and pay the application fee before submitting it.
The entrance exam for this program is administered by a few universities. As for the other option, the colleges will process the applications and select those who have the necessary documentation and eligibility.
Many colleges and universities in India offer MPT degrees. Candidates must sit for an entrance exam to get admission to the MPT program. Information on admissions for some colleges and universities can be found here:
To get admission to Manipal University’s MPT program, candidates must pass this exam. Manipal University’s website requires applicants to apply online, select a centre, and pay the application fee before securing a seat. Scanned copies of all required documentation, a passport-sized photo, and a signed signature must be uploaded as well. Candidates of any age are eligible to apply for MPT, and there is no upper age limit. Candidates who qualify for the MET-entrance exam will receive an admit card and must take the computer-based exam.
The admission process of MET for MPT Cardiopulmonary Sciences, MPT Community Physiotherapy, MPT Geriatrics, MPT Neurosciences, MPT Gynaecology, MPT Orthopedics, and MPT Paediatrics are:
- Candidates must apply online at the MAHE University’s official website.
- They must appear at the Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal to take the MET.
- Candidates will be narrowed down based on their MET score, which will be taken into consideration.
- Candidates who have been selected for further consideration must attend counselling at Manipal University.
- Candidates must return to the institute to complete the admissions process following the counselling session.
Dayananda Sagar University, Bangalore
In Bangalore, the Dayananda Sagar University conducts the MPT entrance examinations. Dayananda Sagar University (DSU), Bangalore, requires applicants to apply online and pay the application fee through the university’s website. All candidates who are eligible for the DSAT exam are required to take the computer-based test. There’s also an offline mode. The admissions process for the DSAT for MPT admissions is outlined below:
- Candidates must submit an online application through Dayananda Sagar University’s official website.
- Those who want to attend Dayanand Sagar University must take the Dayanand Sagar Admission Test.
- The DSAT scores of the applicants will be used to narrow the pool down to a manageable number.
- Those who make it to the final cut must show up in person for counselling.
- After the counselling session, the prospective student must report to the institute to complete the admissions process.
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
They use a Common Entrance Test (CET) for admission to PG programs. To apply for the IPU CET MPT program, please follow the instructions below:
- On the official website of Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi, applicants must submit an online application.
- They must take the IPU CET administered by IPU.
- The IPU CET score will be used to narrow the field of applicants.
- Counselling at Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University or any other institution or college that offers MPT is required for those who have been selected.
Candidates must return to the university to obtain the admissions process after the counselling session.
Courses in MPT
There are several postgraduate programs in physiotherapy. Candidates may apply for this program if they meet the program’s eligibility requirements.
Specializations in MPT
This program puts an emphasis on sports and musculoskeletal and neurological rehabilitation. After completing the program, candidates for the PG in MPT receive a professional degree in physiotherapy. Apart from clinical expertise, this field also includes research, education, and consultation.
The following sections provide more details on the specialization:
This branch of musculoskeletal medicine deals with everything from sprains and strains to broken bones and the recovery period following surgery.
This field of study focuses on disorders of the brain and spine. Medical technology is also used to diagnose, treat, and prevent diseases.
MPT Community physiotherapy
Residents of the community can receive services in their homes or at their neighbourhood hospital. Chronic and acute orthopaedic conditions, paediatrics, prenatal and postnatal care, the assessment of chronic neurological conditions for ongoing management, athletic injury gait analysis, and community physiotherapy research are all included in this area.
This field’s research focuses on skeletal and muscular anomalies.
MPT Sports science
Participation in sports is promoted by sports science as a means of improving one’s physical, mental, and social health. Studying this subject involves a variety of disciplines including physiology, engineering, psychology, anatomical structures, and chemical compositions.
MPT Pediatrics physiotherapy
This study is aimed at improving the physical development of children and infants as a whole. The treatment plan includes tissue massage, mobilization, stretching, specific therapeutic exercises, and posture instruction.
MPT Geriatrics physiotherapy
In geriatric physical therapy, elderly patients are the focus of attention.
Geriatric physical therapy treats a wide range of ailments, including osteoporosis, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, and joint and hip replacements, amongst others.
Advantages of Choosing MPT
With the growing population and urbanization, opting healthy diet and surroundings is nearly impossible. Keeping a self-fitness check has become a challenge. Physiotherapy helps society to overcome this obstacle. Graduates can move on with their careers and fill the job position where they are needed. There are countless benefits that one can achieve after a master’s in physiotherapy. There is a wide range of paths to follow and take one of the challenging positions like-consultant teacher and researcher, etc.
Below are some of the advantages one can get after MPT graduation:
Research School – MPT graduates who want to temporarily pause their practice can always choose to attain opportunities for doing the research study. This not only improves their overall knowledge but also gives them a chance to work as a lecturer in a prestigious institution.
Opportunity Under Sports Organization – The sports and rehabilitation program graduates will be able to work as:
- Rehabilitation specialist
- Physician for a sports team
- Fitness coaches
- Physical education teacher
- Military training rehabilitation specialist
Other job opportunities include:
- Animal Physiotherapist
- Health Service Expert
- Personal Trainer
Graduates also have the opportunity to enrol in a PhD. program in abroad universities. Here are some of the benefits of the program:
A Good Profession – Physiotherapists have extensive knowledge regarding their field and they make sure to make living healthier in every possible way. They try to attain this without the help of medication or pain relief.
A Boon For Physically Challenged Patient – Genetic disorders are on a rise since the last century. Physically challenged children are looked after by physiotherapists. The doctors make an exercise and diet plan that helps with the movement of the body parts, hence making everyday routine easier.
Fill The Job Opportunity Where They Are Needed -There are various career opportunities that MPT graduates can apply for. Rehabilitation centres, cancer prevention centres, obesity prevention, and treatment centres are among the top recruiters. Government, as well as private sectors around the world, are also among the top recruiters for these graduates. With this high demand in the market, job opportunities are increasing drastically every year.
Handsome Salary – The cumulative salary of an MPT graduate is slightly higher than a BPT graduate. Both governments, as well as the private sectors, are hiring physiotherapist graduates. Moreover, some doctors also practice in their private physio clinic.
People In Need – After completing the course in physiotherapy, one has immense opportunities in their carrier. Physiotherapy makes a big difference in the life of the patient by restoring the movement. Heart attack is really common these days and recovering from it is very hard for some patients because they tend to lose some degree of function, balance, and movement. The physiotherapist will help the patient to recover strength.
Scope After Doing MPT
After completing the master’s degree in physiotherapy, one has an option to either pursue higher education in a PhD or look for a job opportunity.
PhD in physiotherapy is a three years integrated program that needs a master’s and a bachelor’s degree.
A candidate can choose to do a PhD from below given two options:
- Do a PhD as full-time research with the university.
- Part-time candidates can study as well as work in this professional career. That professional work can either be in government colleges, research organizations, or industrial units.
The duration of a PhD in Physiotherapy is 3-5 years and a minimum of 45-50% marks are required for its successful completion.
Entrance Exams For PhD. In Physiotherapy
If we talk about India, there are various entrance exams for admission in PhD of physiotherapy. BHU-RET, DUET, NPAT, IPU CET are some of the examinations held every year. An overview of these examinations is as follow:
- BHU-RET – It is an offline examination with a duration of 2 hours and 30 minutes. This is held by Banaras Hindu University research. It is a multiple-choice questions test.
- DUET – The duration of this test is only two hours and it is an online exam held by Delhi University. This test is only for taking admission to Delhi University-affiliated colleges.
- NPAT– The duration of the exam is 2 hours. It is held by the Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies. NPAT stands for National test for programs after 12th. It is also a computer-based MCQ-type test.
- IPU CET – This test is conducted by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University. The examination fee of 1200 INR is charged for this exam.
These are some of the exams which are held by Indian Universities. Now, if we talk about admission to abroad colleges, you need to fulfil certain entry-level requirements, depending on the university you might apply to. They may ask for some /all of the below things:
- Detailed mark sheet for secondary education.
- Statement outlining the reason why you want to join their institution for a PhD.
- Detailed mark sheet of bachelor’s and masters from recognized universities ( with no active backlogs).
- English proficiency test score (TOEFL / IELTS).
- Recommendation letters from the university professor.
- Your resume.
- Financial information of yourself.
Top PhD Degrees
Once you have completed your master’s and decided to go for PhD., the big question arises, which stream to apply for a specialization in PhD. Doctorate. Here is a list of the most selected specializations for a PhD degree in physiotherapy-
Working Sector For Physiotherapist
It is a broad field with the opportunity to work in almost every sector including:
- Health sector
- Rehabilitation sector
- Public and private hospital
- Wildlife centres
- Sports organization
- Private practices
- Community health centres
- Residential aged care facilities
- Various Career Designations Abroad for MPT Graduates
Whether to Go for a PhD or a Job After MPT?
If a candidate wants to archive leadership goals in the field of strategy analysis, physiology, then PhD is the best option available. Responsiveness and skill, in-depth knowledge of every subject can be achieved with a PhD doctorate.
On the other hand, work skills are also attainable if one chooses to go for a job. The only difference is that the candidate will be continuing the studies part-time.
So both of the options are equally advantageous and it all depends on the candidate what they select according to their priorities.
Eligibility criteria for MPT Courses
Candidates who want to pursue their education in the course MPT or Master of physiotherapy, in India, must fulfill the following conditions:-
- Bachelor’s degree in BPT(bachelors of physiotherapy) with a minimum aggregate score of 50% from a recognized and reputed university or college.
- You should have a complete 6 months internship in the same field i.e. Bachelor of Physiotherapy from a recognized hospital.
- If you want to apply for a specific college/university, you have to clear the entrance exam taken by the respective college/university.
Candidates who want to pursue their education abroad in the same course have to fulfill the given conditions:-
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum aggregate score of 65-70% and an average GPA of at least three on a scale of four points.
- You must score 6.0/79. In TOEFL/IELTS.
- You should score a minimum of 290. It may vary with the university.
- You also need an internship of 6 months to get admission into this course.
Jobs You Can Get After MPT
MPT or Master of Physiotherapy is the course that opens wide gates to lucrative job opportunities in a variety of fields and organizations. This sector is not just limited to nursing facilities and hospitals but also it has expanded to the area of institutions, sports, private healthcare, etc. This provides adequate opportunities for MPT candidates in different areas. By the completion of the courses such as General Physiotherapist, Lecturer, Research Assistant, Assistant Professor, Clinical Physiotherapist, Sports Physician, etc.
Few areas which provide magnificent salaries include physiotherapy consultancies, nursing homes, sports authorities, orthopaedic departments, firms, etc.
The era of the internet has brought a buzz of employment possibilities in the field of health science and physiotherapy where the experts provide professional training.
Some areas of employment opportunities are mentioned below:-
- Blog videos
- Private consultancies
- Rehabilitation centres
- Sports authority and management
Government Jobs for MPT Graduates
The Master of Physiotherapy Government jobs for appreciated public organizations is accessible in a diversified span. These organizations incorporate nursing homes, hospitals, sports authorities, educational institutes, and defence. The recruitment of these positions is initially based on the entrance exam which is accompanied by a counselling session or a personal interview. According to various expertise of the individual in their area, the MPT salary offered to each may differ.
Here are a few job roles that offer a well paid MPT salary in India:
1. Sports Physio
Applicants should be capable of evaluating and examining each patient’s entire health condition including lifestyle, age, physical activities, and motivation. This job is appropriate for those who want to achieve relevant techniques and skills of the highest quality and circulate knowledge in clinical teaching, evaluation, physiotherapy, and treatment techniques in the selected specialization facility, and to familiarize themselves with bio-statistics. Those candidates who wish to go after higher studies and become a lecturer are also worthy of it.
Role of a sports physio:-
- Treat and mobilize injuries to alleviate pain.
- Monitor and design rehabilitation programs for the sport and injury.
- Coordinate referrals to practitioners and decide whether extra treatment is needed.
- work with other healthcare professionals to help sportspeople maintain their peak performance.
2. Research Assistant
Research assistants help the professionals who are inspecting and collecting information and data and conducting experiments. Ordinary employers include colleges, think tanks, consulting firms, public interest groups, market research firms, polling organizations, and medical research centres.
Role of a Research Assistant:-
- Maintain inventory and laboratory equipment. and inventory.
- Collect and log experimental data.
- Conduct statistical analyses of data sets.
- Design banners and presentation slides to help the researchers.
- Formulate spreadsheets and graphs to depict proofread, check facts, and modify research papers to make certain accuracy.
- Analyze online materials and print to collect information.
- Execute research and experiments as per the protocols proportioned by initial researchers.
3. PE teacher
A PET or physical education teacher mainly works in colleges, schools, and universities. The major responsibility is to organize sports events, train students in various sports, and teach them the benefits of regular exercise
Roles of PE teacher:-
- Health coach: a health coach needs to convey to them about food habits and lifestyle changes that help them lead a healthy life.
- Physical Instructor: A physical instructor is a person who teaches different stretching and physical exercises to help people indulge in exercise activities.
- Cricket coach: A cricket coach is a professional who is responsible for directing, instructing, and training a cricket team or an individual.
- Physical education teacher: A Physical education teacher is a person who teaches students about sports and health.
4. Licensed Physical Therapist
Physical therapists aid patients with persistent health conditions, injuries, manage their pain, enhance their quality of life, regain their range of motion, etc. PTs play a vital role not only in handling musculoskeletal conditions but also in instructing patients about preventing future injuries and staying fit.
Role of licensed Physical therapist:-
- Recording the patient’s progress and modifying the plan of care if needed.
- Using equipment, stretching, exercise, and hands-on therapy to increase mobility, manage patient’s discomfort and pain, and prevent further injury.
- Reviewing patients’ medical history.
- Listening to their concerns.
- Developing individualized plans for them.
- Educating family members and patients about the process.
Private Jobs For MPT Graduates
1. Junior Therapist
Junior therapist works under the guidance of a senior therapist. It is an entry-level position that requires only some previous experience, though a bachelor’s or master’s degree may be required and completion of education is compulsory a bachelor’s.
Roles of Junior Therapist;-
- Leading the patients in exercise to improve their physical strength.
- Conduct assessments
- Help the patients understand about exercises and
As an acupuncturist, you have to take a comprehensive approach to the management of disease and the maintenance of health. Your focus will be on patients’ overall well-being rather than just their illness. You have to give an idea of possessing knowledge of laws and regulations and passion. Acupuncturists see illness or pain as an indication that the body is out of balance.
Role of an Acupuncturist:-
- Assure an unassailable and healthy environment.
- Curing patients with the help of cups, needles, seeds, ear balls, supplements, and pellets…
- Assembling herbal treatments to cure patients.
- Evaluating patients to make diagnoses.
- Collecting medical histories.
3. Clinical Research Associate
As a clinical research associate (CRA), you have to run clinical trials to test drugs for their benefits, risks, and potency to make sure that they are safe to use and to allow them to the market. You have to work on the latest and existing drugs as well. You will be working for either a contract research organization (CRO) or a pharmaceutical company, which works on behalf of pharmaceutical companies.
Clinical trials may be executed at numerous phases or stages and include trials on patients with a disease, trials on healthy humans, and studies are conducted after the launch of a new drug to keep track of safety and side effects.
Role of Clinical Research Associate:-
- They write and develop trial protocols.
- coordinate with morals assembly, which protects the safety, rights, and wellbeing of all trial subjects.
- Collect trial reports and documentation.
- Write files and visit reports.
- Talk about results with a medical statistician.
- Registers correspondence and study documentation
Job Opportunities Abroad for MPT Graduates
There are various job opportunities Abroad after graduating from MPT. Its salary over there is even more considering the infrastructural development and amount of medical research in many first-world countries. Multiple colleges offer placement opportunities to their best candidates to learn from the best in the field and to acquire more exposure. Numerous companies in the private sector having subdivisions in foreign countries also send their unbeaten possible candidates to achieve higher levels of professional victory.
Top Companies Hiring MPT Graduates
Following are the top companies that offer high MPT salaries:
- Apollo Hospitals
- Fortis Care
- Kinex Medical Company
- Cult Fit
Fee Structure for MPT
The fee structure for MPT varies for different colleges and universities in India as well as abroad. However, the average fee structure can be Rs. 80000-100000/year or more depending upon the field of physiotherapy you choose. All in all, it’s an affordable course that has a high return on investments.
Here we have provided all the information you need for the MPT course. It’s time for you to start filling out applications and applying now!