Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) is a branch of paramedical science that deals with treating and diagnosing a variety of ailments. It is the science of study of human fluids like pericardial fluid, peritoneal fluid, urine, blood samples, and other specimens.
DMLT Course enables you to do all kinds of testing required to analyze a disease. The program is mainly designed to impart the knowledge of testing, inspecting, identifying various diseases, and filling the area of lab professionals.
About The Course
It is a two-year program where students are showing in-depth knowledge of Pathology, Biochemistry, Blood Bank, Microbiology. The DMLT course aims at enhancing the quality of the healthcare system by educating students on how to examine, recognize, and test cells, tissues, and body fluids, and help in the assessment, treatment, and prevention of diseases through the use of various procedures and laboratory equipment. This course is premeditated to impart in-depth knowledge and technical skills of biochemistry, pathology, microbiology, and hematology, train the learners to handle advanced lab equipment, perform precise medical laboratory tests, and work as Laboratory Technologists/Technicians.
Types Of DMLT Course
The most common types of DMLT courses presented in India are the Part-Time DMLT, full-time DMLT, and Online DMLT. The details of the course types are deliberated below:
A Part-Time Diploma of Medical Laboratory Technology is aimed to teach students by consuming their less time. In most cases, students do not prefer full-time because they do not want to spend their whole day on campus and remain absent. This situation occurs to the students for several reasons; they might be involved in any job or other tasks. Thus, there is a necessity for such courses to facilitate working adults.
Full-Time DMLT is a two-year consistent study program, and it is the most general type of DMLT chosen by a number of students. Most of the top colleges or universities are there in India, where students can pursue this course.
At the end of the full-time DMLT course, students can apply to different medical laboratories to begin their professional careers. They can also opt for healthcare centers, internships in hospitals, and medical research laboratories.
Students can select the online DMLT courses as they appear easier to access. Students are educated through video lectures, either recorded or live.
Many Universities like TNOU, IGNOU, etc., offer admission to online DMLT through direct admissions. Students will submit the application form and start taking classes after issuing the merit list.
One can get admission to this course either by direct method or by entrance exam. Direct method can be done both online & offline. Few colleges provide admission based on the marks scored in 10+2 and on the merit list. However, Some colleges like St. John’s University and Aligarh Muslim University. etc., offer admission based on the entrance exam results.
How To Apply?
- For online applications, candidates have to visit the official website of the university, head to the admission part, and then provide all the required documents such as marks list, identity details, the number of registration fees, and, other required information asked by the institute.
- For the offline process, candidates need to visit the college’s admission department and fill out the application form after visiting the campus.
The selection of the candidate to the DMLT universities in India is frequently done on the basis of their performance in 10+2. When the results are out, each university releases its cut-offs and merit lists for the DMLT course, and the candidates who are shortlisted will be eligible for the course.
Those who have applied for a specific university, and are qualified for the entrance test, have to apply for the further counseling session through which the college will be allotted to them.
DMLT Course Subjects
The semester-wise DMLT course subjects are designed to enhance the overall knowledge and deep understanding of the students. The DMLT course syllabus includes theoretical teaching which helps students to understand the in-depth knowledge about equipments and it also has a practical class of teaching which helps students to get hands-on experience with laboratory equipments. The curriculum is intended with both core-based and elective subjects. DMLT subject list is as follows:
- Human Anatomy
- Fundamentals of MLT
- Human Physiology
- Clinical Microbiology
- Fundamental Biochemistry
- Clinical Hematology
- Technical Microbiology
- Clinical Biochemistry
Semester Wise Syllabus Of DMLT
Diploma In Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) is planned in a way that meets the needs and objectives of the students. DMLT course mostly focusses on laboratory technologies which are followed nowadays of development in technology. It also encounters a wide range of concepts and laboratory technical skills which further forms the specific specializations. The curriculum contains both theoretical and practical aspects. The semester wise syllabus of the DMLT course is as follows:
DMLT First Year Syllabus
- Basic Human Science
- Professional Activities
- Fundamentals of MLT
- Human Anatomy
- Basics of Clinical Biochemistry
- English Communication
- Microbial Instrumentation
- Basic pathology
- Information and Communication Technology
- Fundamental Biochemistry
- Community Development
- Human Pathology
DMLT Second Year Syllabus
- Clinical Hematology
- Community Development Activities II
- Technical Microbiology
- Human Physiology
- Metabolic and Technical Biochemistry
- Clinical Microbiology
- Histopathological Techniques
- Clinical Pathology
- Pathology Lab
- Clinical Biochemistry
Projects in DMLT Course
DMLT course projects are provided to the students for progressing skills and critical knowledge for their college as well as career growth. Projects for DMLT courses help students in fieldwork for their future development and practical experience. The project needs to be accomplished by the end of the fourth semester. Some of the prevalent and well-liked DMLT course projects are following:
- The Function of Hyperglycemia in CD4 T Cell Death.
- The Title role of Store-Operated Channels in Inflammatory Cytokine Production in the Genetically Inherited Dermatosis Disease
- Association and Comprehensive Examination of Board Certification Scores in Medical Laboratory Science Program at Rush University.
- Advantages of Procalcitonin as a Diagnostic Biomarker in Rush’s Core Laboratory.
- Authentication of Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia (HIT) Evaluation of an Automated Platform at Northwestern Hospital.
Specializations In DMLT Course
This course permits candidates to specialize in a diversity of fields. The specializations in this field help in specialized progression and are in great demand. A list of the specialties is provided below:
- Clinical chemistry
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Immunology and Immunological Techniques
- Clinical Pathology
- Electron Microscopy
- Molecular Biology and Applied Genetics
- Biomedical Techniques
What are the Advantages of Pursuing a Career in DMLT?
There are numerous advantages to pursuing a career in Medical Laboratory Technology. When deciding on a Medical Lab Technician Course, you may already be thinking about salary and benefits, job growth and stability, and a wide range of career possibilities.
1. Flexibility in the Workplace
As an MLT, you have access to a variety of advantages. One of the advantages is that you can work in several areas. It is no surprise that MLT is sought after by a wide range of healthcare institutions. Laboratory technicians are employed in several industries, including international health organizations like the Red Cross Society and government health services.
Forensic labs and blood banks both necessitate the services of qualified laboratory technicians. Medical laboratory technicians are also needed in clinical research labs, educational institutions, veterinary hospitals, and non-profit caregiving organizations. You can choose a health care facility as per your state of mind.
2. Bringing Science, Technology, and Healthcare Together
Healthcare, science, and technology all come together in medical laboratory technology. It’s reasonable to state that it’s the best of all possible worlds because it allows you to help others while also learning new skills and technologies.
Working in a lab involves analyzing samples using advanced technology. So, pursuing an MLT degree after high school is a great way to combine a passion for math and science with a career in technology.
Medical lab technology encompasses a wide range of subject areas. You learn the fundamentals of a variety of medical specialties. Microbiology, Bloodbanking, Immunology, Clinical Chemistry, and Molecular Biology are all covered in MLT training. Consequently, you have the option of further specializing in several different fields to open up a wide range of career options.
3. Work Done in the Shadows
Examining the body’s cells, tissues, and fluids biochemically, pathologically, and microscopically is equally important as dealing with patients. Even if you aren’t a doctor, your contributions are priceless. Direct patient contact is not necessary for all medical lab technicians.
Diagnostic and treatment options can improve with the help of medical laboratory technicians (MLTs). It is the career of choice if you want to be a key player but work behind the scenes.
4. Assimilation Into The Workplace Immediately
Within three years, you can begin making money. DMLT courses typically last one year and are a good starting point. It’s like taking a super-charged capsule with you everywhere you go.
While earning a commendable salary, this program gives you greater job security and the opportunity to advance your career in the future. Candidates who complete the course will be able to assist doctors in taking samples, testing samples, etc. Next, you can choose to go on to earn an advanced diploma in medical laboratory technology (BMLT) or an advanced certificate. Taking these courses can provide you with a plethora of career options.
What is the Scope of DMLT Students?
There is a lot of scope for those who complete a diploma program in medical laboratory technology. There is a constant need for trained professionals like MLT, especially with the advent of multiple and complex diseases in the world. Health care is a global industry that relies heavily on the expertise of trained technicians. In response to the growing number of health issues caused by modern lifestyles, there is an enormous demand for MLTs with advanced training.
1. Higher Education
The demand for those who hold the Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) has risen along with the medical field’s growth. There are many options for students who have completed the DMLT Course and would like to continue their education in a related field or a different field. Higher education options for students are outlined below:
- B.Sc in Medical Laboratory Technology
- B.Sc in Medical Imaging Technology
- BA in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Certificate course in Anesthesia Technology
- Postgraduate course Diploma in Laboratory Services
2. Recruitment Areas for the DMLT Course
There is a wide range of options for students who want to work in the medical field through DMLT.
Salary for students of the DMLT program varies according to their skills, knowledge, and experience in applying for any job in the medical field. The demand for experts and professionals in this field is expected to grow as new technologies are developing in the medical field. The following is a list of the areas where DMLT students are being recruited:
- Private Laboratory
- Private Hospitals
- Government Hospitals
- Minor Emergency Centers
- Centers for Blood Donation
- Doctor’s clinics
- Research Facilities
- Medications Industries
- Crime Laboratories
3. DMLT Course Salary Packages
Payscale estimates that the average salary for DMLT workers in India is around INR 2-5 LPA.
Salary for DMLT students in India is determined by their abilities, equipment handling, and theoretical knowledge acquired during their studies. Students may choose between private and public sector jobs, but their pay levels will vary according to their skills and knowledge. Several job titles with associated salaries include the following:
- Generalist Duties – INR 2.77 LPA
- Technical Analysis – INR 2.41 LPA
- Quality Control – INR 2.89 LPA
- Microbiology – INR 2.57 LPA
- Phlebotomy – INR 2.66 LPA
4. Private Sector Employment Opportunities for DMLT Graduates
Graduates can choose from a wide variety of positions in the private sector, such as those in hospitals and laboratories. The medical industry and other enterprises employ many people in private jobs. After completing this DMLT course, students can pursue higher education or work in the private sector based on their interests and skills. The average salary for a diploma in medical laboratory technology is between INR 2-5 LPA. Listed below are some private-sector jobs and the associated wages:
- Blood Bank Technician – INR 4.50 LPA
- Medical Device Operator – INR 2.50 LPA
- Medical Coding – INR 3.00 LPA
- Phlebotomist – INR 2.00 LPA
- Lab Technician – INR 2.25 LPA
5. Government Employment Opportunities for DMLT Graduates
The DMLT Course provides numerous job opportunities in government hospitals and other government-run laboratories that specialize in identifying and treating various diseases.
Graduates of the DMLT program may also work as medical laboratory technicians, laboratory assistants, etc. Government jobs in DMLT are also available in a variety of organizations, including the federal government, state governments, and privately owned government hospitals. Several DMLT government positions with the payscales include the following:
- Medical Laboratory Technician – INR 2.0 LPA
- Medical Lab Technologist – INR 2.5 LPA
- Medical Coder – INR 2.5 LPA
- Lab Assistant – INR 1.9 LPA
- Lab Technician – INR 2.9 LPA
Who Can Apply?
Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) is one of the fast-growing fields across the globe in the health care area. A technologist is a professional who analyzes the body fluids and performs functions like blood analysis, urine analysis, drug level testing, cerebrospinal fluid analysis, etc. They also assist doctors in the treatment of diseases and play a vital role in the prevention of disease. This job involves detecting the presence or absence of microorganisms in the samples taken from the patients.
The trained technologist has to handle complex electronics equipment like computers, different types of microscopes for the documentation of the reports. The students would be trained in laboratory management, practical implementation, and internal assessment. A technologist also carries out complex tests for deadly diseases like HIV/AIDS, diabetes, cancer, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for DMLT Course
Diagnosing and treating ailments is a major part of the DMLT course. Though these technicians work on the machines, they also do play an essential role in our health systems. A candidate going for this course will gain in-depth knowledge in the field of healthcare. Moreover, the demand for this course is also increasing. A professional who has graduated with this program can determine and treat the various complications in patients by performing chemical laboratory tests. The main aim of this diploma is to train the candidate so that they can support the doctors with the technical assistance they need.
Diploma in medical laboratory technology (DMLT) is a two-year-long program that focuses on the development of various skills like preventing, diagnosing, and treating diseases with the help of lab tests. Anyone interested to choose this profile as their carrier can go for this diploma. The candidates who wish to pursue their education in India in Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) course must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Intermediate or its equivalent with science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) with a minimum of 45% marks.
- Intermediate with Medical Laboratory Technology (vocational background) with a minimum of 45% marks.
- Some institutes also offer admissions to 10th class pass candidates who have scored a minimum of 50% marks.
- There is no age limit for the DMLT course. Moreover, the candidates who are still awaiting their higher secondary exam (HSC) results can also apply for this program.
An internship training program for 6 months is given for a candidate who is willing to continue in the bachelor’s degree course.
Similar to all other courses, skills are also very important in the DMLT course. Any candidate who is willing to join this course should have expertise in certain areas. Below are some of the basic skills required:
- Like any other profile, knowledge of basic computer skills is important for this course.
- A candidate must have the ability to conduct full-fledged research.
- They should be accurate, efficient at performing laboratory tasks.
- They should have in-depth knowledge of their field so that they can have the patience to understand scientific data.
- Discipline and attentiveness are also among the top skills required.
The list of top colleges in India for DMLT is:
- Government Medical College, Amritsar.
- Rohilkhanid Medical College, Bareilly UP.
- Maharajah Institute of Medical Science, Andhra Pradesh.
- ERA Medical College and Hospital, Lucknow.
- Swami Vivekanand IET, Punjab.
- Devi Ahilya College Paramedical, Indore.
- Gangasheel Ayurvedic Medical College and Hospital, Uttarpradesh.
- Banglore Medical College and Research, Bangalore.
The above-mentioned are the regular colleges. If anyone is interested in distance learning for the DMLT course, below are some of the options for top colleges available:
- National Institute of Open Schooling, Noida
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi
- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
- Karnataka State Open University, Mysore
In addition, a student who is willing to study abroad can apply to universities in the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, etc. Some basic eligibility criteria for all above-mentioned places are:
- It is important to score good marks on an English speaking test. IELTS/TOEFL are some of the top English proficiency tests.
- A candidate must have a statement of purpose, resume, letter of recommendation to apply for abroad universities/colleges.
Below is the list of famous abroad colleges for DMLT:
- Long Island University
- National University, USA
- New Castle University
- University of Bradford
- Sheridan College
- RMIT University
- University of Regina
Jobs after Diploma of Medical Technology (DMLT)
A diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology has good job scope. The opportunity is only with labs. You can apply to all kinds of labs in hospitals, clinics, health centers, pathology labs, pharma companies, etc. You can try to select any of these options and build your carrier. A DMLT graduate not only has a piece of knowledge about collecting and preserving body fluids to perform analysis and do an examination, but they also analyze tissue and blood. Their job roles also include microorganism screening, chemical analysis, and counting the cells in the body.
Once you have completed your Diploma, there are multiple career options that one can choose from. A medical lab technician is in quite a lot of demand. Below are the most demanding jobs they can get:
- They can work with pathologists.
- They can start their lab.
- Blood banking
- Clinical chemist
- Blood sample matching
- Drug efficiency test
The famous jobs positions for DMLT diploma holders are below:
- Laboratory assistant manager- Laboratory assistant managers help in overseeing various lab activities. Making sure the laboratory equipment is safe and sound, is the responsibility of the laboratory manager. The work in the laboratory is always ongoing. Hence, making sure that lab supplies are always in stock is their task. They also train lab assistants and monitor them closely to see if they are working efficiently. Usually, there is no direct hiring for this job. People rise to this position by working and gaining experience. The average salary for a laboratory assistant manager is 6.0 Lakhs INR per annum.
- Consultant and Assistant Supervisor- Organising, interpersonal and writing skills are some of the traits required for this job. Communicating efficiently with multiple people is necessary. Keeping their workplace and surroundings clean is also a part of their job. The most important work they do is to extract useful data which can be used by a senior consultant. The average salary of a consultant and assistant supervisor is around 7.5 Lakhs INR per annum.
- Health Care Administrator- As the name suggests, the health care administrator does not interact directly with the patient but they keep an eye on the work of doctors, surgeons, and all medical/health care staff. Health care facilities are always constant in need. Hence, health care administrator is a stable job for those persons who are interested in improving the health care policy. The average salary of a health care administrator is 4.8 Lakhs INR per annum.
- Medical Writer- Medical writing is a profitable and new job. Creating scientific documents is the role of a medical writer. They usually work real close with scientists, doctors, and other medical associates to observe and create documentation of what those associates do. This profession is new in the pharmaceutical industry because it is very important to record and store information in a well-structured manner so that it can be used in the future as well. These writers can combine their research skills and knowledge with an understanding of how to represent/write in a presentable manner. The salary of the medical writer in India is around 5.0 Lakhs INR per annum.
Above are some of the basic job profiles for DMLT diploma holders. All these jobs require multiple duties to be performed every day. Some of those day to day duties are:
- The most important duty to be performed is collecting body fluids such as blood, sputum, cerebrospinal fluid, drug count, and urine.
- Helping physicians treat diseases and play a significant role to alleviate them.
- Help physicians to identify the root cause of the ailment through the detection and treatment of the diseases through the samples.
- Their job role also helps in detecting the absence or presence of specific microorganisms in the patient’s body.
- Computers are really common nowadays. Hence, skills in operating computers and different types of microscopes are necessary.
- Handling, operating, and managing the functioning of different electronic machines.
The list of top recruiting companies for DMLT is:
- Dabur India
- Torrent Pharma
- Dr. Reddy
If we talk about India, universities/colleges offering admissions in Diploma of Medical Technology are based on entrance exams or merit lists. The fee structure for this course varies across all colleges. But if we talk about the average fee in India, then it ranges from 34,000 INR per annum to 9.6 Lakhs INR per annum.
All students are not interested in taking admissions in Indian universities. Some of them are willing to go abroad for higher studies. The average fee for this course starts from 6.0 Lakhs INR and goes up to a maximum of 20.0 Lakhs INR per annum.
See Also: BDS Course Fees
If you have any queries regarding admission to the Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) Leave your comment below.