DOTT or Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology is a diploma-level course program. The duration of this course is 2 years and its syllabus is divided into 2 semesters. It is involved with the treatment, diagnosis, and prevention of diseases and ailments through the usage of clinical laboratory examinations. In this program, the candidates learn to implement tests that help in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. This program also prepares candidates with the knowledge and abilities required to manage advanced lab pieces of equipment and perform exact laboratory tests. The study is an essential fragment of the operation unit working with anesthetists, surgeons, and theatre nurses to confirm every single process of security and successful result of the surgical procedure.
About the Course
This course trains candidates to look after all the arrangements of operation theatre table, surgical instruments dressing table, instrument table, anesthesia table, and also how to supervise staff. They also look after anesthetic gases, the drugs required for surgery, drapes & all the linen & their sterilization. The study skilled candidates to help the surgeon during the operations. The operation theatre technician has to organize and deal with the whole operation theatre.
With the advances in imaging technology for several tissues comprising of various organ systems in the human body such as sonography CT-scanning, X-rays, Ultra-sound, PET-scanning, MRI, etc. there is a wide-ranging need for imaging technologists.
The purpose of the program is to educate and train candidates in operation theatre technology and the organization of operation theatre along with management and supervision of a wide range of operating gadgets including electronic and innovative equipment used in modern operation theatres.
Admission Process Required For Diploma In Operation Theatre Technology:-
The admission procedure for the course is merit-based. The admission process fluctuates across universities and institutes. There are no standardized admission processes crossways the whole country.
- The candidates would be required to visit the official website of the university or the college they are planning to get admission to.
- The students will be then obliged to fill out the admission form and fill in all the essential details in order to put forward their application.
- In some circumstances, the university also organizes an interview round after merit-based admission, succeeding which the students are approved admission.
- The qualified candidates will be asked to give the required documents for confirmation.
- After the verification, the candidates will be registered in the course.
The admission process for each university diverges and hence the interested candidates are wished to keep checking the official websites of the target universities or colleges.
If a candidate wants to go for entrance based admission then they have to follow the process given below :
- Candidates have to sit for entrance examinations either conducted at the university level, state-level, or national level.
- After entrance exams, the State board or university admission committee releases their merit list which contains candidates’ names with their rank and scores attained in the entrance test
- As per the merit list, the candidates will be called to participate in further admission processes such as personal interviews, counseling sessions, and group discussions.
- According to the overall performance of the candidate in each selected parameter such as the entrance examination and the performance in a group discussion or personal interview, the prospective candidates will be shortlisted for the admission process by the respective college/university.
If a candidate wants merit-based admissions, then they should follow the steps mentioned below:
- In this process, universities will ask the candidate to apply for the course as per their choice and to appear for the selection process inclined by the college.
- The selection process of the university consists of group discussions or personal interviews.
- Before calling the candidates for the selection process, the university releases its merit list that includes the name of the candidates, score, and rank analyzed through the application form and the information provided in it.
- And if the candidate is selected, they are called for the further admission process and the admission will be offered on the basis of their performance in past academic records and counseling sessions.
Succeeding are of few entrance tests that are directed by some of the Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology universities in India:
- Chitkara School of Health Sciences (CSHS) Entrance Test
- Nizam’s Institutes of Medical Sciences (NIMS) School of Paramedical Sciences and Technology Entrance Exams
- University of Technology Entrance Exams
- Tech Mahindra Smart Academy for Healthcare Entrance Exams
Syllabus Of DOTT
The semester wise syllabus of the Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology is given below: –
- General Human Physiology
- Computer and Data Processing
- General Human Anatomy
- Principles and Practices of Surgery
- Sterilization, Disinfection, and Waste disposal
- Basics of Anaesthesia & CPR
- Gynaecology & Obstetrics
- Pediatric Surgery
- Special Surgeries: Arrangement of Instrument Trolleys
- and Common Operations
- Plastic Surgery
- Equipment- Know-how and maintenance of OT Tables, OT. Lights, Diathermy, Sucker Machine, etc.
- Neuro Surgery
- Practical Classes
- Orthopedic Surgery
Subjects Of Diploma In Operation Theatre Technology
Here is a list of subjects which are covered in the 2-year course program:
- Different types of anesthesia drugs are used for giving anesthesia. and History of anesthesia Boyles apparatus gas for anesthesia.
- Position during Operations, Maintenance of Equipment Throwaway, Sterilization Infection Control
- Safety Actions in Blood and Blood products and Fluid Management
- Safety actions in Inventory Stock Preservation Stock DDA procedures and documentation
- Department of Operating Area Many Disciplines General Conduct of Aseptic Method.
- Mechanical Intubation Ventilator
What Are the Advantages of the DOTT Course?
There is a growing need for imaging technicians as a result of advances in imaging technologies for a wide range of tissues and organ systems in the human body, like Ultrasound, MRI, Sonography, X-rays, CT scanning, PET scanning, and so on. With this course, students will learn how to operate an array of equipment, including electronic and technical devices that are common in today’s surgical environments. A DOTT course has several advantages that can be gained by OT technicians currently in the field of work:
- Students who complete this program will have the skills necessary to work in the operating room alongside other members of the health care team.
- Students learn how to operate a variety of diagnostic tools, including ventilation systems, defibrillators, monitors, and C-arms, as well as how to evaluate patients.
- In addition, the training covers the knowledge and abilities required to manage infection control policies and procedures in the operating room.
- It helps existing working professionals to upskill themselves.
- It helps you as working technicians learn and grow from the comfort of your homes or workplace.
- Once they’ve finished their training, the students who earn their diplomas lend a hand at the hospital in terms of efficiency and patient compliance.
Wages And Benefits For Operation Theater Technicians
As a trainee, you can join a laboratory or a hospital and earn anywhere from ten thousand rupees to twenty thousand rupees a month.
One can expect to make more money if one has a lot of knowledge and experience. The government is a great place to work, paying between Rs. 30,000 and Rs. 40,000 a month for entry-level positions.
The top hospitals in the country pay technologists over Rs. 40,000 on average, so this is a comparable wage range.
There is no salary ceiling, and as one gains more experience, their remuneration and benefits skyrocket too. Many companies also provide their employees with healthcare benefits and other perks.
What Are Operation Theater Technicians Duties?
In addition to collaborating with surgeons, anesthesiologists, and nurses, the Operation Theatre Assistant performs their duties independently.
They play a key role in assessing, monitoring, and evaluating situations in the theatre of operations. Among the duties they are expected to perform are:
- Sterilize the surgical instruments by cleaning and sanitizing the operating room.
- Maintain order in the operating room.
- Maintain a ready and hassle-free set of tools and machines.
- The provision of technical support in the course of surgery.
- Make sure that all of the required paperwork and permissions are in order.
- Obtaining, restocking, and arranging all surgical supplies and equipment.
- While operating on a patient, they are expected to read and record any machine readings that is displayed and make any necessary adjustments based on those readings.
- When they are in the room, they must assist the circulating nurse in providing nursing care to every patient.
How Do You Become an OT Technician?
After completing their SSLC or 10th Class, students can train to become OT technicians by enrolling in a Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology. Students interested in the Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology must submit an online application through the university’s website.
The Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology is one of the most sought-after courses in today’s healthcare industry, and for good reason. Many students may miss out on the opportunity to take this course due to unconventional methods, such as waiting, as there is a high demand for this course.
Graduates of this program are prepared to assume full responsibility for surgical procedures. Every day, theatre technologists help surgeons with a variety of surgeries, from pre-operations to post-operations. One of the most important responsibilities of the operation theatre technologists is to ensure that proper decorum and conduct are maintained. This program combines hard work with a strong ability to work well with others. As a result, it’s a demanding field with lots of room for advancement.
Scope of Students Studying DOTT
There are few sectors in India and the entire world that are growing at such a rapid pace as the healthcare industry. Talented and qualified experts are needed in the fastest-growing industries. To work in the medical field, earning a certificate in operating room technology is a great option to consider. After earning a theatre technical diploma, you will have plenty of job and career options.
1. Higher Studies
You can continue your studies for better scope in your career.
- B.Sc in Operation Theater and Anesthesia Management
- B.Sc in Surgery Technology
- B.Sc in Operation Theater Technology
- B.Sc in Medical Lab Technology
2. Areas of Recruitment
Operations Theatre Technology has a wide range of applications in transplant, orthopedic and cancer, gynecological surgery, and special care baby units. Research, teaching, and training are all possible uses for this course. Some of these professionals may be employed privately by doctors, surgeons, and dentists who perform surgery on their patients.
3. Infinite Knowledge
The position of OT Technician necessitates a close working relationship with highly-skilled colleagues. While at work, they become a lot more creative and competent.
4. Personality Traits
As a technician in an operating room, you will develop a variety of interpersonal skills. Teachers help students become more focused, more eloquent, and more empathetic.
5. In High Demand
As the need for skilled OT technicians grows, so does the competition for these professionals.
Outcomes Of the Programme
Upon completing this course, students can do the following:
- Provide safe and effective care to patients undergoing surgical procedures by applying your operational theatre management knowledge and skills.
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of critical parameters that must be maintained during specific operations are required.
- Access, analysis, and evaluation skills for data gathered during treatment sessions
- Be able to organize and report on various diagnoses concerning treatment planning.
- Determines whether or not the patient has experienced any complications and if so, notifies the surgeon immediately.
- Care for patients while keeping in mind your professional and ethical responsibilities.
- To meet the physical and emotional needs of patients undergoing surgical treatment effectively and efficiently.
- Recognize standard operating procedures and research protocols used in treatment/research.
- Work by yourself and in groups to improve your knowledge and abilities in the field of clinical practice.
- Using new technologies to improve healthcare services.
- Learn about the latest advancements in operating room technology and put them into practice through ongoing study and research.
Who All Can Apply?
In this course, you are taught about surgical procedures, surgical equipment, anesthesia, OT maintenance. In this course, you will learn how to assist the doctor/surgeon during the operation, which operation requires which equipment, how to handle that equipment, is the anesthesia working properly, how to sterilize equipment, how to handle patients in emergency, ICU, and much more. In this diploma of Operation theatre technology, competitors figure out how to perform tests that guide the diagnosis and treatment of disease. This program additionally trains applicants with the information and abilities needed to deal with the advanced lab’s supplies and perform an accurate lab test. This diploma is a fundamental part of the operation theatre unit. The graduate works with certain anesthetics and nurses to ensure every single procedure is successful and safely done.
The trained candidate who has graduated in this diploma knows how to manage staff. They also look after the drugs which are required in the surgery for sterilization. Any candidate who wants to pursue a career in this field can go for this diploma.
Eligibility Criteria for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology (DOTT)
The diploma in operation theatre technology is a two-year diploma program that can be pursued after 12th class by students who completed their studies in the stream of science. This diploma helps students to set their foot in the health care industry by making them understand the functioning and usage of medical equipment which are used by the doctors. The functioning of numerous diagnostic equipment like C-arm, ventilators, monitors, etc is also taught. Monitoring infections during surgery and concentrating on their knowledge and skills is also a part of their day-to-day activity.
The diploma in the OTT course helps candidates to learn about pre as well as post-operation procedures. A graduate will be helping the doctors or surgeons across various surgeries every single day. Their role is not restricted only to this, but maintaining a proper code of conduct in operation theatre is also a part of their profile. That is why this job is quite challenging and provides excellent growth opportunities to experienced candidates.
Now, that we are aware of what a diploma in operation theatre technology is, let’s move forward with eligibility conditions that are required to join this diploma as far as the educational qualification is concerned :
- Candidates must have passed the 12th class examination or its equivalent from a recognized board in the science stream as main subjects.
- The candidate should be between 17-35 years of age.
- The minimum marks required in the 12th class are usually between 45% to 60% depending on the university.
- Any student who wants to pursue their course in OTT should go through different admission processes. The two most common entrances are exam-based or merit-based.
- Under entrance, exam-based admissions candidates are asked to sit at state or university level exams. After the test, a merit list is made and the candidates are called to carry forward the admission process.
- For merit-based admissions, colleges release a merit list containing rank vise names of the applicants who have been short-listed for admission.
Along with the eligibility condition, there is a certain skill set that is required for the successful completion of this OTT diploma. Below are some of the skills mentioned:
- Ability to skillfully prepare operation theatre.
- Should have good analytical judgment and ability to be able to work under pressure.
- Must possess good practical skills and approach to the work scientifically.
- Must be well organized and capable of managing tasks.
- The candidate must have in-depth knowledge about their work and should be able to assist in the operation.
- Should be able to think and make scientific decisions for successful problem-solving.
- Should be able to work efficiently under pressure and be able to make quick decisions according to the situations.
Below is the list of top government colleges offering OTT courses:
- PT Bhagat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute.
- King George Medical University.
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education.
- Guru Gobind Singh Medical College.
- Aryabhatta Knowlege University.
The list of top private colleges offering OTT diploma courses is:
- NIMS University.
- Shardha University.
- Era University.
- Chandigarh University.
- Manipal School of Allied Health Sciences.
Moreover, the demand for this course has also increased in abroad universities. Countries like the USA, Canada, Germany are offering diplomas in operation theatre technology. If we talk about eligibility criteria, then below are some of the conditions that are to be matched:
- A good percentage of marks is required in the 12th class.
- A good score in English proficiency tests like IELTS/TOEFL is required.
- Statement of intent, resume, letter of recommendation is also required for admission.
The list of top abroad colleges for OTT diploma is:
- University College Dublin
- University of Technology Sydney
- University of Arizona
- University of Bradford
- University of Ottawa
- University of Toledo
- University of Sheffield
Jobs after Completing Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology (DOTT)
A professional with specific skills in the field of operation theatre technology is known as an operation theatre technologist. They play an important role in maintaining and assisting the surgical team. Taking care of patients in recovery rooms is also the most important role they maintain. Some of the other personnel in this collective category are radiography technicians, anesthesia technicians, and many more. The operation theatre assistant works collaboratively with other health care professionals, including surgeons and nurses.
With the increasing population, the health care industry is among the fastest-growing industry in the world. With this comes great responsibility because the requirement for experienced and skilled workers has increased. Various jobs can be filled by an OTT diploma holder. Some of those jobs are:
- Lab Technician
- Operation Theatre Technician
- Anesthesia Technician
- Assistant Operation theatre Technician
- Assistant Lab Technician
- Associate Consultant
- Surgical Lab Technician
- Health Technician Manager
- Biomedical Engineer
- Radiation Therapist
Among all these jobs below are the most popular jobs for OTT diploma holders:
- Operation theatre technologist- The main role of these technologists is to help the doctors/surgeons with assistance in the operation theatre. They are trained to read the readings which are displayed on the medical equipment during the surgery. If any adjustment is required to be done then they take action accordingly. They are also responsible for maintaining proper ethics in the hospitals. The average salary of an operation theatre technologist fresher is around 3.0 Lakhs INR per annum. Whereas, it reaches up to 4.0 Lakhs INR per annum for experienced technicians.
- Anesthesia consultant- The main responsibility of the anesthesia consultant is to monitor and advise the doctors on the right amounts of dosage required for the surgery. They are also required to constantly monitor the readings of the machine and work accordingly. Monitoring of vital signs like a heartbeat, breathing, body temperature, etc is also some of the responsibilities. For fresher the average salary is around 4.0 Lakhs INR per annum which increases up to 5.0 Lakhs IINR per annum.
- Surgical lab technician – Maintaining and preserving the cells and specimens of the patients is the role of a surgical lab technician. Including this, they also maintain and keep a record of donated organs until they are implanted. They are also responsible to sanitize the operation theatre area before and after surgery. Responsibility to prepare equipment and supplies for operational purposes is also performed by them. The average salary of a surgical lab technician fresher is 2.5 Lakhs INR per year. Whereas, it reaches up to 4 Lakhs INR per annum in the case of experienced technicians.
- Medical imaging technologist- A medical imaging technologist is a trained health professional who helps patients to produce X-rays, CT scans, MRI scans. These scans are then studied to find the issues with the patient. Some of the imaging technologists are also trained to study and diagnose the scans by themselves. The average salary for a fresher medical imaging technologist is 2.5 Lakhs INR per annum which can go up to 3.5 Lakhs with experience.
Below are the top recruiters for DOTT graduates:
- Fortis Hospital
- Max Health Care
- Bombay Hospital and Medical Research Center
- Lilavati Hospital and Research Center
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute
- Hiranandani Hospital
If we talk about India, the fee for a diploma in operation theatre technology course can range between 20,000 INR per year and can go to a maximum of 1.2 Lakhs INR per annum. This is the case with private colleges. Government colleges are comparatively inexpensive than private colleges. Their fee can range between 30,000 INR per annum to a maximum of 70,000 INR per annum.
Job opportunities are abundant abroad, especially when we talk about medical sciences. Top institutes of the countries like the USA, Canada, Germany offer admissions in Operation Theatre Technology diploma. The average fee for this diploma starts from 7.0 Lakhs INR per annum and goes to a maximum of 22.0 Lakhs INR per annum depending on the university and country the candidate applies to.
See Also: Semi-Government Medical Colleges in Maharashtra:
If you have any queries regarding admission to the Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology Leave your comment below.
2 thoughts on “Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology (DOTT)”