Master of Computer Application:
Master of Computer Applications is a Postgraduate Academic Master Degree which is awarded for a course or program in Computer Applications. Just like B.C.A., it is also popular among today’s generation. It is popularly known as M.C.A. which is an abbreviated form of Master Computer Applications. The duration of Master of Computer Applications is 3 years, divided into a number of semesters which are generally 6 in number. Generally, the 1st year course is aimed at skills development in computers using various technologies, the 2nd year is more focused providing a conceptual framework and the 3rd year provides the specialization and the project work. Master of Computer Applications is a Computer Science Degree whose curriculum is primarily based on the development of application software in diverse areas. However, Computer Science Major program also focuses on providing the students with a thorough and sound background in theoretical and application-oriented courses relevant to the latest computer software development. Masters Degree in Computer Science prepares a candidate to become a quality software professional with the advanced and updated knowledge base which is necessary to meet the needs of software industries. After earning a MCA degree from a reputed Institute, there are the number of job opportunities available in the market. There is a wide scope of jobs for MCA graduates in government as well as private sector. As a fresher, a MCA professional can expect anything around 2.4 to 3.4 lakhs. Top companies hiring MCA graduates are Accenture, Infosys, Wipro, TCS, Cognizant, IBM, American Express, HCL, HP etc.
The MCA program focuses on providing a sound theoretical background as well as good practical exposure to students in the relevant areas. It is intended to provide a modern, industry-oriented education in applied computer science. It aims at producing trained professionals who can successfully meet the demands of the information technology industry.
Typically, a MCA is a full-time degree course with a duration of three years (six semesters). It covers various aspects of computational theory, programming, algorithm design and optimization, network and database management, mobile technologies, electronics, mathematics, probability, statistics, accounting, and finance. Some institutes provide a six-years (eleven semesters and six months On Job Training) integrated MCA.
As the IT and the software industry are dynamic and fast growing, all the programs are designed keeping in view the requirements of the industry.The programs aim at the understanding of the fundamentals of computing among the students so that they can compete in the present-day global situation.
Students are trained in the fields of Systems Designing, Application Software Development, Enterprise Resource Planning, Computer Networks, System Administration, Web Designing and Development, Database Administration, Parallel and Vector Processing, Data Mining, and Warehousing.
Eligibility Of the Master of Computer Applications [M.C.A]
- Graduation in any stream is the basic eligibility for MCA. The eligibility for qualifying marks in graduation differs from institute to institute. Most of the institutes require 45 to 50 % aggregate in qualifying exam for taking admission. Reserved categories get some relaxation in aggregate percentage.
- Apart from this, there is another prerequisite for taking admission in MCA degree; one must have studied Mathematics in 10+2 as a compulsory subject.
Advantages of a MCA degree:
- The technology sector is booming the demand for computer science engineers is more than ever. This course helps the students become professional computer science engineers.
- A MCA graduate in Computer Science can work in profiles such as Software Engineer, Testing Engineer, System Analyst and Technical Support Engineer. After passing out successfully, an individual can earn an average salary package of more than 2 lakhs.
- Some of the major recruiters for MCA Computer Science is software giants like Infosys, TCS, and Accenture which come recruit students for jobs through campus placements and provide impressive salary packages.
Admission Procedure for Master of Computer Applications:
- Admission to Master of Computer Applications (MCA) program is through both entrance examination and merit-based. Certain universities offer both direct admission and entrance based admission to the program. However, few Universities require Candidates to have given any of the applicable Entrance Exams for Master of Computer Applications (MCA).
- Candidates who are applying for the Master of Computer Applications (MCA) program should beforehand have their results from the respective Entrance Exams required by the selected/opted Universities.
- Applications for admissions can be availed either from the University website or by visiting the Admissions Office of the same.
- Candidates are advised to have a look at the list of Entrance Exams applicable for Master of Computer Applications (MCA), for various Universities. Candidates should also make sure they qualify in the Education Eligibility criteria with the minimum required marks.
Entrance exams for MCA:
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Pune MCA entrance test
- Cochin University Common Admission Test (UCCAT)
- Tamilnadu Common Entracne Test (TANCET)
- Karnataka Common Entrance Test (K-CET)
- Odissa Joint Entrance Exam (OJEE)
Coaching Centres for MCA:
- Dexter Academy
- Calibers Nova
- Navigator Solutions
- Trimphant Institute of Management Education (TIME)
Top colleges for MCA:
- VIT (Vellore Institute of Technology), Vellore
- Anna University, Chennai
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
- PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore