Looking for Latest News & Updates About B.SC-HONS in Top Colleges Through Email or Sms, Enter Your Details Below:
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) is an Academic Degree which is awarded to students graduating in the field of Science. Bachelor of Science is one of the most popularly pursued courses in India. In India, the duration of the B.Sc course is 3 years. There are many Science subjects offered to students according to their interests but it depends on the university and combinations offered, that students can choose from. Though most universities refer to the degree as B.Sc, it is also sometimes referred to as BS. Science course combinations include various branches of Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Computer Science. The Bachelor of Science course involves a lot of practical experience as well as interdisciplinary theoretical practice. Students are exposed to a vast range of subjects and research in the field of their choice. Graduates of B.Sc are given employment opportunities in both core science industries and otherwise. There are also some Arts/Commerce subjects that are sometimes offered under B.Sc, like Economics or Statistics, depending on the university and other norms.
The subjects studied during the B.Sc course are both factual as well as application-based. Most students, after obtaining the B.Sc degree, prefer to further their specialisation in the field of their choice by pursuing the M.Sc course. Only students who have a strong aptitude for Science and Applied Sciences must pursue the B.Sc course. Since the Science degree is completely focussed on factual information and practical knowledge, the applications of science are the same universally, and scientists are constantly in demand across the globe.
To be eligible for admission to Bachelor of Science, the student must have cleared the Higher Secondary School Examination (10+2 level) with English, Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects with Mathematics, Biology or Computer Science. Selection and admissions for B.Sc are entirely through merit on the basis of the candidate’s performance in the previous qualifying examination. Some colleges may, however, have an entrance test or personal interview as the basis for their selection process.
- The basic eligibility criterion for pursuing B.Sc.Hons. the degree is qualifying 10+2 or equivalent examination in Science stream with a minimum of 50% marks secured in aggregate from a recognised board of the country.
- Also, some reputed colleges and institutes do conduct entrance examination to get admission to their B.Sc.Hons Mathematics degree course. Selection to the degree course in these colleges is based on marks secured in the final merit i.e. total marks aggregated in the final exams of 10+2 and the entrance exam.
Admission Procedure for B.Sc Hons:
- Admission is mostly open to all candidates who have chosen science as a subject during 12th standard. Also, each college will have minimum cut-offs. Only candidates who fulfil those criteria’s can apply. Preference is given to those with a higher score. Normally no entrance exam is conducted for admission to this course. Entrance exams may be conducted for courses like Biotechnology, Bioinformatics etc.
- Candidates will need to purchase the forms from the college office. These will be available generally in the month of June and July. They will first need to make a payment for application form and prospectus. Read the instructions carefully and then fill the form. Make sure to keep the copy or else at least note the application form number.
- Candidates have to make sure they have the following documents with them during the Admission process:
- Education qualification
- School Leaving Certificate
- Extra-curriculum Certificates
- Domicile Certificate
- Candidates with Certificate of Caste i.e. SC/ST can apply. Even those from OBC category can apply.
- Physical Disability certificate should be authorised by the Medical Officer
Advantages/Benefits of B.Sc Hons:
- B.Sc.Hons. degree serves as a basis for further higher studies in this field such as M.Sc., PhD and M.Phil. Degree the successful completion of which makes one eligible for the post of a lecturer in any university/college.
- B.Sc.Hons the degree is very helpful in attaining other degrees in accounting and statistics, such as ICWA, etc. After completing B.Sc Hons. one can do post graduation in a number of other fields.
- After successfully completing B.Sc Hons degree course, many job opportunities open up in various fields and companies.
Top Colleges for B.Sc Hons:
- Jawaharlal Nehru Rajkeeya Mahavidyalaya, Port Blair
- Jawaharlal Nehru College, East Siang
- Indraprastha College for Women, Delhi
- Loyola College, Chennai.
- St. Xaviers, Mumbai.
- St. Stephens, Delhi.
- Madras Christian College, Chennai.
- Presidency College, Chennai.
- Hans Raj College, Delhi.
- Fergusson College, Pune.
- Hindu College, Delhi.
- Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi.
Entrance Exams for B.Sc Hons:
Enrollment in the B.Sc Hons degree course necessitates qualifying the entrance examination conducted by the different institutes located all over the country. Here is a list of the important examinations candidates should know about:
- MCAER CET
- National Entrance Screening Test (NEST)
- IIT JAM
- OUAT Entrance Exam
- CG PAT
Entrance Exam Pattern for B.Sc Hons:
- Depending upon the choice of the entrance exam by the candidate, the topics for the examination will vary. Candidates are advised to have a thorough check onto the syllabus of the exam chosen by them.
- Generally the entrance examination for B.Sc Hons. consists of questions from the 10+2 standard.