Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) is an undergraduate program in Computer Applications. It is open for students who have qualified Higher Secondary Examination with a minimum of 45% marks. BCA is a 3-year program and is often seen as equivalent to a B.E. or B.Tech. in Computer Science. The course is, usually, divided into six semesters. The admission is generally through a Common Entrance Test conducted by respective institutes.The average tuition fee for BCA in India ranges from 1.5 Lakh INR to 6 Lakh INR for three years in different colleges. After completing BCA, a student can find employment in various fields like Software Development, Banks, ITES, Government departments, Education etc. The average monthly salary offered to a BCA graduate ranges between 20,000 to 25,000 INR. BCA is normally of 3 years duration and each year is divided into two semesters. For BCA in the correspondence mode of education, the minimum duration is 3 years and maximum duration ranges from 5 to 6 years depending upon the university. The syllabus covered is computer related in all aspects.
Bachelor in Computer Application (BCA) is one of the popular courses among the students who want to make their career in the IT (Information Technology) field. The duration of the course is 3 years and divided into 6 semesters. It comprises of the subjects like a database, networking, data structure, core programming languages like ‘C’ and ‘java’. This course provides a lot of opportunities to the students who are interested in the computer field and wants to work in the IT sector as programmer or software developer. This program demonstrates sound knowledge in key areas of computer science or industrial computing. It also carries out the required analysis and synthesis involved in computer systems, information systems, and computer applications.
Eligibility Of the Bachelor of Computer Applications [B.C.A.]:
- The basic eligibility for admission to BCA is a pass in 10+2 examination in any stream from any recognised board of education with English as a subject of study.
- Some colleges prefer students from science stream or who have studied Mathematics and Computer Science at 10+2 level.
- Admission to a regular BCA program is generally through a common entrance test conducted by the respective universities. Certain Universities also provide dual specialiazations along with the regular program.
- Candidates who are applying for the Bachelors in Computer Applications program should beforehand have their results from the previous education done i.e 12th either Commerce or Science stream.
- Applications for admissions can be availed either from the University website or by visiting the Admissions Office of the same. Candidates will have to fill out the required details in a match with the existing documents.
- The application process for BCA can be direct or with an entrance test that ideally starts in the month of May and June. Certain Universities across India conduct Entrance Tests for admission of candidates in BCA.
- There are certain colleges like BIT Mesra, Amity University etc. which take admission purely on the basis of marks scored in the 10+2 examination.
- Students have to apply to the respective institutes in the prescribed format. The application process may be online or offline or both.
Advantages/Benefits of Bachelors of Computer Applications [B.C.A.]:
- Candidates can opt for an easier Bachelors degree with the benefits of getting recruited in well-known companies. Since Bachelors of Computer Application contains all the IT related subjects, candidates graduating with a Bachelors in Computer Application degree have vast opportunities in various positions.
- Certain Universities offer specialisations along with the BCA program. Candidates can opt for a dual degree while completing their regular BCA program.
Top Colleges for Bachelors of Computer Applications [B.C.A.]:
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Madras Christian College, Chennai
- Presidency College, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research, Pune
- DAV College, Chandigarh
Entrance Exams for Bachelors of Computer Applications [B.C.A.]:
- Candidates applying for the Bachelors in Computer Application program can avail admission based on previous education qualification or through Entrance tests conducted by certain Universities. Candidates are advised to have a look at the Universities type of admission program.
- However below is a list of institutes which conduct entrance test for admission to BCA program:
Entrance Exam Pattern for Bachelors of Computer Applications [B.C.A.]:
The entrance test is generally of objective type and contains questions from the following topics:
- Quantative Aptitude.
- General Knowledge.
- English Language & Comprehension.
- Logical Reasoning
- Computer Knowledge & IT.