M.D. or Doctor of Medicine is a higher postgraduate Medicine course dealing with a program of advanced study in Medicine. The course is based on gaining an in-depth knowledge of one’s chosen field of specialisation. The duration of the Doctor of Medicine course is 3 years of study including the successful completion of an exam that covers both theoretical and practical elements. The examination for M.D. is held at the end of 3 academic years which includes 6 academic terms. M.D. course is more practical oriented and research based as compared to M.B.B.S. Medical Council of India is the authority which approves and recognises various Institutes to provide Doctor of Medicine Degree Course. Since the course involves a deeper study of relevant subjects, one needs to be prepared for mind-boggling study. It is amongst the popular courses pursued by medical graduates, primarily because of the high salary package.
Candidates for Doctorate of Medicine (D.M.) course will be selected strictly on the basis of their academic merit. Candidate satisfying any of the following shall be applicable for admission:
- On the basis of merit as determined by the competitive test conducted by the State Government or by the competent authority appointed by the State Government or by the university/group of universities in the same state.
- On the basis of merit as determined by a centralised competitive test held at the national level.
- On the basis of the individual cumulative performance at the first, second and their M.B.B.S. examination, if such examination has been passed from the same university; or Combination of (1) and (3)
- Provided that wherever entrance test for Doctorate of Medicine (D.M.) admission is held by the State Government or a University or any other authorized examining body, the minimum percentage of marks for eligibility for admission to postgraduate medical course will be 50% for General category candidates and 40% for the candidate belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward classes.
- Also further that in non-Governmental institutions 50% of the total seats shall be filled by the competent authority and the remaining 50% by the management of the Institution on the basis of merit.
Admission Procedure for Doctorate of Medicine [MD]:
- Admission to Doctorate of Medicine program is through both entrance examination and merit-based. Certain universities offer both direct admission and entrance based admission to the program. However, few Universities require Candidates to have given any of the applicable Entrance Exams for Doctorate of Medicine.
- Candidates who are applying for the Doctorate of Medicine program should beforehand have their results from the respective Entrance Exams required by the selected/opted Universities.
- Applications for admissions can be availed either from the University website or by visiting the Admissions Office of the same. Candidates will have to fill out the required details in a match with the existing documents.
- Candidates are advised to have a look at the list of Entrance Exams applicable for Doctorate of Medicine for various Universities. Candidates should also make sure they qualify in the Doctorate of Medicine criteria with the minimum required marks.
Advantages/Benefits of Doctorate of Medicine [MD]:
- Doctor of Medicine – M.D Degree is Super Specialisation Degree and as such gives a huge boost to one’s pride and career as well.
- It also gives one advanced knowledge beyond one’s M.D. degree knowledge base.
Looking for Latest News & Updates About MD in Top Collegs Through Email or Sms, Enter Your Details Below:
Specialisations In Doctorate of Medicine [MD]:
The MD program also provides candidates to do specialisations in whichever aspect they choose. Here is a list of specialisations available for opting:
- Clinical Hematology
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Medical Gastroenterology
- Medical Genetics
- Medical Oncology
Top Colleges for Doctorate of Medicine [MD]:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Delhi.
- Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore.
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune.
- Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), Delhi.
- Lady Hardinge Medical College (LHMC), Delhi.
- Madras Medical College, Chennai.
Entrance Exams for Doctorate of Medicine [MD]:
Here is a list of Entrance Exams that are applicable for Doctorate of Medicine MD:
- AIIMS Medical Entrance Exam
- AIPMT exam (the erstwhile NEET UG Medical Entrance Exam)
- MANIPAL Medical Entrance Exam (Manipal- UGET)
- JIPMER MBBS entrance exam
- CMC Vellore Entrance Exam
- CMC Ludhiana Entrance Exam
- Karnataka CET Medical Entrance Exam
- Delhi University Pre-Medical Test (DPMT)