Pharma.D- Doctorate of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy is a Professional Pharmacy Doctoral Programme. The degree awarded for this course is known as Pharm.D or Pharma.D which is an abbreviated form of the Doctor of Pharmacy degree. ‘Pharm.D‘ is a Latin term which stands for ‘Pharmacia Doctor’ which means ‘Doctor of Pharmacy’. Pharm.D is a registrable qualification under the Pharmacy Act 1948. Pharmacy Council of India (PCI) is the regulatory body of Pharmacy education in India. Pharmacy Council of India introduced the 6 years Pharm.D. course in India from the academic year 2008. The number of admissions for the Pharm.D program is prescribed by the Pharmacy Council of India from time to time and presently it is restricted to 30 students intake for Pharm.D & 10 students for Pharm. D (PB) per academic year. Doctor of Pharmacy Programs is focused on classroom theory, penetrative laboratory experiments, and motivated research projects. Only PCI approved Colleges can offer Pharm. D course in. There is only a limited number of Pharmacy Schools which provide Doctor of Pharmacy degree.
Looking for Latest News & Updates About PHARMA-D in Top Collegs Through Email or Sms, Enter Your Details Below:
A pass in any of the following examinations –
- 10+2 examination with Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects along with one of the following subjects: Mathematics or Biology.
- A pass in D.Pharm. course from an institution approved by the Pharmacy Council of India under section 12 of the Pharmacy Act.
- Any other qualification approved by the Pharmacy Council of India as equivalent to any of the above examinations.
- Provided that a student should complete the age of 17 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission to the course.
- Provided that there shall be reservation of seats for the students belonging to the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and other Backwards Classes in accordance with the instructions issued by the Central Government/State Government/Union Territory Administration as the case may be from time to time.
Admission Procedure for Pharm.D:
- The admission procedure may vary from institute to institute. Most of the colleges intake students on the basis of marks scored in GPAT. After that, they have to undergo vigorous counselling and personal interview.
- Some of the colleges select students on the basis of merit i.e, the marks obtained in one’s bachelor’s degree in the same field. Colleges also conduct their own entrance exams for the admissions.
Advantages/Benefits of Pharm.D:
- Pharma.D. enables one to prefix the title of ‘Dr.’ for the purpose of practising Pharmacy Profession.
- Pharm. D is a registrable qualification for practising pharmacy profession under the Pharmacy Act.
- After completing Pharm.D, candidates are eligible to undertake PhD programme.
Top Colleges for Pharm.D:
- JSS College of Pharmacy, Mysore
- Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai
- Smt. Sarojini Ramulamma College of Pharmacy, Mahbubnagar
Entrance Exams for Pharm.D:
- BITS HD Pharmacy.
Entrance Exam Pattern for Pharm.D:
- However, candidates are advised to go through the topics in their Bachelor level of education and before for better understanding of the topics and to successfully crack the Entrance Examinations.
- Candidates should also refer previous year question paper samples and solve mock question papers for a clear idea of the examination and for better performance during the actual exam.
- Test Syllabus: Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics and General English include questions based on the 10+2 Syllabus followed by major 10+2 Boards/Universities.
- Test Pattern: Applicable to BPharm / PharmD courses:
- Duration – 2.30 hours, Questions – 200 (MCQ), the approximate distribution of questions is as follows:
- Physics – 50, Chemistry – 50, Biology – 70, English & General Aptitude – 30.