One of the most sought out degrees in India.
Having a B.Tech degree at hand for an Indian student is like receiving one of the Prestigious Medals of Honour for someone in the Defence.
Bachelor of Engineering/Bachelor of Technology is an Academic Degree awarded to the students graduating in the field of Engineering.
In India, the duration of a B.E/B.Tech course is 4 years, which is broken down to 8 semesters and a major project in the final semester.
There are various combinations of subjects under Engineering that one can choose, depending upon the availability and merit/rankings in various universities. Engineering courses are offered by most Public and Private Universities in India.
The same degree is either referred to as Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Technology according to the norms of different universities.
Some universities, however, offer the same course for which they award a B.E.Sc. (Bachelor of Engineering Science) degree or B.SE. (Bachelor of Science in Engineering) which is equivalent to the B.E. or B.Tech degree. Engineering is applied in all fields and most professional practices.
To be eligible for admission to B.Tech or B.E., candidates must have passed the Higher Secondary School Examination (10+2 level) and also write the relevant entrance examination (State CET, JEE, specific university entrance tests etc.) on the basis of which they will be ranked and selected for the relevant streams. Streams of Engineering that are in highest demand are Mechanical, Civil, Electronics & Communication, Chemical, Aeronautics, Automobile, Computer Sciences, Biotechnology etc.
Students with the higher rankings are given the preference of more subject options and top universities. Students who have done diploma courses in Engineering can join the B.E. or B.Tech course directly in the 2nd year (Lateral Entry).
Engineering students are trained to work both theoretically and practically, with research and application-based Engineering.
In India, Engineering courses are based more on knowledge and theory than hands-on work. More hands-on experience is gained during jobs that students pursue after obtaining the B.E/B.Tech degree.
Some colleges focus on the fact that Bachelor of Engineering is more theory-based and Bachelor of Technology is more application based.
The IITs and NITs provide a B.Tech degree while most colleges affiliated to regional universities award the B.E. degree.
Different types of Engineering Degrees present in India:
- Diploma in Engineering (3/4 years, after class 10).
- Bachelor’s degrees (4 years, after class 12): BE (Bachelor of Engineering) and BTech (Bachelor of Technology). Both are equivalent. Admission is usually through an engineering entrance examination.
- Master’s degrees (2 or more years, after BE, BTech, MCA or equivalent): ME (Master of Engineering), MTech (Master of Technology), MSc (Eng) (Master of Science in Engineering), MS (Master of Science), MCA (Master in Computer Application). Admission usually requires qualification in the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering or some work experience in engineering. The MTech and ME degrees are of 2 years duration, and usually, have coursework in the first year and a project in the second year. The MSc (Eng) and MS degrees are usually research – oriented, and may require 2 or more years to complete.
- Doctoral degrees (3 to 5 years): Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy). Admission requirements vary across universities but usually include a master’s degree in engineering or science or a bachelor’s degree in engineering with an exceptionally good academic record.
- Normal candidates: Pass in 10+2, A Level, IB, American 12th grade or equivalent with Physics, Mathematics and English as compulsory subjects along with Chemistry or Biotechnology or Biology or any technical vocational subjects as optional subjects with a minimum of 50% marks taken together in Physics, Mathematics and any one of the optional subjects.
- Lateral Entry Candidates: Degree from a recognized university with at least 45% marks and passed in XII standard with Mathematics as a subject.
Advantages of B.Tech:
- The technology sector is booming the demand for BTech Engineers is more than ever. This course helps the students become professional engineers.
- A B.Tech graduate can work in profiles such as Software Engineer, Testing Engineer, System Analyst and Technical Support Engineer. After passing out successfully, an individual can earn an average salary package of more than 2 lakhs.
- Some of the major recruiters for B.Tech graduates is software giants like Infosys, TCS, and Accenture which come recruit students for jobs through campus placements and provide impressive salary packages.
- Software Engineering: Computer software engineers develop, design, and test software. Some software engineers design, construct and maintain computer programs for companies. Some setup networks such as “intranets” for companies. Others make or install new software or upgrade computer systems.
Computer software engineers can also work in application design. This involves designing or coding new programs and applications to meet the needs of a business or individual. Computer software engineers can also work as freelancers and sell their software products/applications to an enterprise/individual.
- Hardware Engineering: Most computer hardware engineers research, develop, design, and test various computer equipment. This can range from circuit boards and microprocessors to routers. Some update existing computer equipment to be more efficient and work with newer software.
Most computer hardware engineers work in research laboratories and high-tech manufacturing firms. Some also work for the federal government. Close to 95% of computer hardware engineers work in metropolitan areas. They generally work full-time. Approximately 33% of their work requires more than 40 hours a week.
- It deals with all sorts of various domains, from materials to machines to industrial equipment.
- There are several openings, as there are various domains in Engineering itself.
- The future may lead to either consultancy, or the industry, or a research and development field.
- Also the attractive prospect of availability of lucrative scholarships. Many State Governments are offering all studies expense covering scholarships to meritorious students, who choose to pursue BTech course. However, note that such scholarships are provided to students scoring above 85% merit marks only.
- Engineering is a rapidly developing sector. Advancements are being made at a good pace in this sector. Big firms are pouring in big money into it and new business opportunities are developing in this sector. These things have led to huge increase in job openings in this sector. In short, Biotechnology graduates are in huge demand these days.
Admission Procedure for Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science:
- Admission to BTech program is through both entrance examination and merit-based. Certain universities offer both direct admission and entrance based admission to the program. However, few Universities require Candidates to have given any of the applicable Entrance Exams for BTech.
- Candidates who are applying for the BTech program should beforehand have their results from the respective Entrance Exams required by the selected/opted Universities.
- Applications for admissions can be availed either from the University website or by visiting the Admissions Office of the same.
- Candidates are advised to have a look at the list of Entrance Exams applicable for BTech for various Universities. Candidates should also make sure they qualify in the Education Eligibility criteria with the minimum required marks.
Entrance exams for Bachelor of Technology:
The admission process for this course is through popular entrance exams like
- JEE Main
- JEE Advanced
- BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test)
- VITEEE (VIT Engineering Entrance Examination)
- WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination)
- MHCET (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test)
- KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test)
- APEAMCET (Andra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture, and Medical Common Entrance Test)
- UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Exam)
- KIITEE (Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology Entrance Examination)
Top Colleges for BTech:
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Delhi
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Bombay
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Kanpur
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Kharagpur
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Madras
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Guwahati
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Roorkee
- BHU (Banaras Hindu University), Varanasi
- BITS (Birla Institute of Technology and Science), Pilani
- IIT ( Indian Institute of Technology), Gandhinagar