B.Com. (Hons) or Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) is an undergraduate commerce (accounts) course. Bachelor of Commerce Honours covers the study of principles of accounting, economic theory, micro and macroeconomics, money and banking systems, knowledge about business, trade and its characteristics and policies involved, etc. Simply, B.Com. (Hons) is a graduate degree program that focuses mainly on the systematic study of the concepts of Accountancy, Business Studies, Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Finance, Banking, Law, Taxation, Marketing, Management Studies, etc. The duration of the course is 3 years and the syllabus is divided into papers. It is career orienting course plan in nature and opens a wide scope for jobs after its successful completion.
- Usually, it is Commerce stream students who choose B.com Hons. course after 12th standard schooling. But technically, even Science, as well as Arts stream students, are eligible to pursue this course.
- Candidates willing to apply for B.com Hons program must be 12th passed (10+2 Schooling system) with minimum 50% marks from a recognised board.
- Since most of the colleges accept applications of candidates based on merit, Few Universities require Candidates to write an Entrance Exam for availing admission in the respective college. Universities such as Delhi University, Christ University Bangalore, Banaras University, and such.
Admission Procedure for Bachelor of Commerce [B.Com] Hons:
- Admission to B.Com Hons program is through both entrance examination and merit-based. Certain universities offer both direct admission and entrance based admission to the program. However, few Universities require Candidates to give the respective Entrance Exam for the University they are looking for.
- Candidates who are applying for the B.Com Hons program should beforehand have their results from their previous education.
- Applications for admissions can be availed either from the University website or by visiting the Admissions Office of the same. Candidates will have to fill out the required details in a match with the existing documents.
- Candidates are advised to have a look at the list of Entrance Exams applicable for B.Com Hons, for various Universities. Candidates should also make sure they qualify in the Education Eligibility criteria with the minimum required marks from their 12th.
Advantages/Benefits of Bachelor of Commerce [B.Com] Hons:
- When compared to many other professional courses, B. Com. is relatively easier to pursue and takes only 3 years to complete. Also the availability of Colleges offering B. Com. It is one such course that is taught at Colleges across India. One will be able to find may good quality Government as well as Private Colleges offering B. Com. program. So, finding a good College near your location won’t be a difficult task.
- The availability of specialisations and new B.Com. Honours program allows students to specialise in a specific discipline during the final year of the program. Making use of this opportunity, students may specialise in disciplines like- Law, Finance, Marketing etc and thus give their career prospects a boost.
- Also, new courses like B. Com. in Computer Applications, E-Commerce, Information Technology are also available. These relatively new courses are market as well as job oriented ones. Also, B. Com. program could act as a basic foundation, on which you may build your career. For example, after B. Com. you may go for number of other programs like- MBA, Civil Services, Central Government jobs, Law, Chartered Accountancy, Company Secretaryship etc
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Commerce [B.Com] Hons:
Here is a list showing the Top universities across India for Candidates wishing to pursue B.Com Hon program:
- Shri Ram College of Commerce, Delhi.
- St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai.
- Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai.
- St. Joseph’s College of Commerce, Bangalore.
- Hans Raj College, New Delhi.
- Madras Christian College, Chennai.
- R.A. Podar College of Commerce & Economics, Mumbai.
- Hindu College, New Delhi Hindu College, New Delhi.
- Jesus and Mary College, New Delhi.
- H.R. College of Commerce & Economics, Mumbai.
Entrance Exams for Bachelor of Commerce [B.Com] Hons:
- AMU Aligarh B.Sc (H) and B.Com (H) Admission 2017
- ACET 2017
- Jamia Milia Islamia University B.A (Hons) English
- JMI B.Com (H) / BBA / B.A. Economics (H) Admission 2017
- BHU BA (Hons.) Admission – BHU UET 2017
- BHU B.Com Entrance Exam 2017 – BHU UET 2017
- JNU Entrance Exam 2017
(Jawaharlal Nehru University– B.A. in Foreign Language)
Since B.Com Hon is a program chosen by many candidates after their 12th, Universities have now added specialisations in B.Com Hons program for further flexibility of the course. Candidates can choose from the available specialisations and choose to do B.Com Hons with added subjects. This helps Candidates to secure good jobs in various fields.
- Accounts & Finance.
- Investment Management.
- Banking & Insurance.
- Financial Market.
- Human Resources.
- Information Management.