M.Lib.I.Sc. or Master of Library and Information Science is a professional postgraduate degree level course that covers the study of principles and practices of Library Science and Library Administration along with the current technologies applied to these processes. Also termed as MLIS it mainly includes the study of collection management, information systems and technology, research methods, cataloging and classification, preservation, reference, statistics, database management, information architecture and knowledge management, etc. Though most of the institutes offer it as a 1-year course but the University of Calcutta offers it as 2-year course of study. As far the minimum and maximum time are concerned it may fluctuate from place to place depending on the various institutes, similarly, the syllabus may not be all too similar.
Master of Library and Information Science Eligibility:
- The basic eligibility criterion for pursuing a Master of Library Science degree is having graduation degree in any stream.
- Some of the very reputed colleges and institutes demand a minimum of 50% marks in graduation as qualifying criteria to secure admission to this degree course.
- Most of the colleges provide direct admission to the students who have successfully completed their bachelor’s in the same with marks of 50%.
- There are colleges which take personal interviews and group discussion as the basis of admission.
- Some colleges/universities conduct entrance exam for the same.
- Candidates can apply to the respective colleges through online or offline mode, the details are provided on the college/university website to do so.
- This course allows the candidate pursue for further studies like M.Phil and Ph.D in library science which enables one to be eligible enough to pursue career in education field.
- One can be hired in sectors like cataloguing, archiving, computers, data and information systems, indexing, research, metadata management etc.
- Mangalore University M.Lib.Sc Entrance exam
- Osmania University M.Lib.Sc Entrance exam
- Panjab University M.Lib.Sc Entrance exam
- Pondicherry University M.Lib.Sc Entrance exam
- Shivaji University M.Lib.Sc Entrance exam
- University of Calcutta M.Lib.Sc Entrance exam
- University of Delhi M.Lib.Sc Entrance exam
- University of Jammu M.Lib.Sc Entrance exam
- University of Lucknow M.Lib.Sc Entrance exam
- University of Madras M.Lib.Sc Entrance exam
- University of Rajasthan M.Lib.Sc Entrance exam
- Allagappa University, Karaikudi
- Annamalai University, Chidambaram
- Barkatullah Vishwavidyalaya, Bhopal
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Kurukshetra University, Thanesar
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram
- The Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi
- M.Phil in Library Science
- Ph.D in Library Science