M.Ed. stands for ‘Master of Education’ or ‘Master in Education’. It is a Postgraduate Academic Master Degree Course. It is normally a 2 years program with 2 Semesters, however, some institutes offer a 1-year Regular M.Ed. a course like – Shivaji University. The minimum period of passing the course is 2 years and the maximum is 4 years. Master of Education Course can be pursued either as a Regular Course or through Correspondence/Distance Education Mode. The correspondence course is of 1-year duration. Masters Degree in Education is available on various subjects. Masters in Education Programs involves instruction, counselling, and administration. It is especially meant for educators preferring to advance their skills in the field. Masters Degree in Education is provided all over India in various Universities. Master of Education course is offered at most of the District Institute of Education & Training (DIET) centres across India. M.Ed. is mainly offered by institutions that are recognised by National Council of Teacher Education, New Delhi. It is a government body in charge of improving and implementing teacher education programmes in the country. It is essential to pursue the M.Ed. courses if one is interested in pursuing a teaching career. In every state in India, there are several institutions that offer Master of Education courses. Master of Education Degree essentially provides educational research, social and psychological foundations of the discipline.
- Those who have acquired their Bachelor of Education degree can pursue Masters Degree in Education. Percentage of marks varies from institute to institute though 50-55% in B.Ed./B.El.Ed. is the most common percentage.
- The admission to the course is based on merit, the admission procedure and mode of selection may vary from one university to another.
- Some universities or state conduct their own entrance examination, in order to select deserving candidates.
Admission Procedure for Master of Education [M.Ed]:
- Admission to Master of Education program is through both entrance examination and merit-based. Certain universities offer both direct admission and entrance based admission to the program. However, few Universities require Candidates to have given any of the applicable Entrance Exams for Master of Education
- Candidates who are applying for the Master of Education program should beforehand have their results from the respective graduation program which is required by the selected/opted Universities.
- Applications for admissions can be availed either from the University website or by visiting the Admissions Office of the same. Candidates will have to fill out the required details in a match with the existing documents.
Advantages/Benefits of Master of Education [M.Ed]:
- Master of Education the course provides knowledge of education systems and patterns more profoundly and comparatively. It enables the candidates to develop an understanding of the contributions of various Indian schools of philosophy to the field of education.
- Master of Education course helps gain more experience and technical finesse required to be an advanced teacher or educator. Therefore one can easily get best jobs in a high school immediately after completing M.Ed. course.
- M.Ed. also gives one a good credit in the society and the ability to be addressed as ‘Teacher’ or ‘Sir’ from students.
- While studying this course, you can specialise in various other subjects along with the Master of Education Program.
Top Colleges for Master of Education [M.Ed]:
We have gathered names of few known Universities that have Master of Education as a program:
- University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi
- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
- Maharishi Dayanand University, Rohtak
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Bangalore University
- Gujarat Vidyapeeth
- Indira Gandhi National Open University