M.P.Ed. or Master of Physical Education is a postgraduate Physical education course. Physical education is a course taken during primary and secondary education that encourages psychomotor learning in a play or movement exploration setting. Students are introduced to various activities like bowling, walking, hiking, or Frisbee at an early age can help students develop good activity habits that will carry over into adulthood. The curriculum of the course mainly comprised the areas such as research methodology, exercise physiology, sports psychology, computer application in physical education and sports and sports medicine etc. The syllabus is divided into three parts having semester’s systems. This physical course is valuable and important immensely as physical education is the need of every human being. Candidates are offered many jobs in various departments after the completion of the course.
- Candidates possessing B.P.Ed. (1 Year) degree/B.P.E. (Three Years) degree/B.Sc. in Health and Physical Education and Degree in Sports with at least 55% marks are eligible for this course.
- Note: There shall, however, be a relaxation of 5% marks in favour of SC/ST/OBC and other categories of candidates as per the rules.
- Candidates those who are physically well and have a lot of interest in physical education and its related activities can go for this course.
- Those who have intellectual skills that require thought processes, interpretation of presented information, movement and muscle control and perceptual skills involving the thought, interpretation and movement skills are a good match for it.
- Third, those who are capable of drawing and handling the verbal instructions, demonstration, video, diagrams and photo sequences, etc. also are suitable for it.
Admission Procedure for M.P.Ed:
The route to this course is through entrance exam. The entrance tests for this course are conducted by universities. The universities accept the scores of these tests for selection of candidates. A merit list is prepared on the basis of scores in aforementioned tests. The entrance test comprises of three different stages:
- Written Test: First of all, candidates are required to take a 2 hour long written test comprising questions from general knowledge, subjects studied in Bachelor of Physical Education and general mental ability.
- Physical Fitness Test: It is an essential stage failing which renders the candidate ineligible for the program. Under this test, students are required to participate in physical activities and their physical fitness is assessed.
- Playing Ability Test: At last, the candidate needs to prove their playing ability in chosen sports.
- As many schools are hiring an extra gym teacher or two to add to their staff to help promote physical activities in schools due to the rise in child obesity and lack of physical activity kids are receiving. So they have a lot of career scopes for them.
- As Master’s degree is needed in order to teach at a college level so many high school teachers are also in charge of coaching the school sports teams, where they can then move on to eventually coaching college sports.
- Another area is the sports where they can be given many types of jobs as they can become a coach, instructor and referee, etc.
Top Colleges for M.P.Ed:
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and Sports Science, New Delhi
- Gujarat University – GU, Ahmedabad
- Chaudhary Devi Lal University, Sirsa
- Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla
Entrance Exams for M.P.Ed:
The top entrance exams for Master of Physical Education [M. P. Ed] are:
- DU Entrance Examination: It is the examination conducted for Delhi University aspirants every year across various centres in India for taking admissions to Master of Physical Education.
- Amity Entrance Examination: It is an entrance examination conducted by Amity University to test the knowledge of candidates in physical education for an entry to Master of Physical Education program.
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University Entrance Examination: Conducted by Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, it is an entrance examination meant for taking admissions in the Master of Physical Education course.
Entrance Exam Pattern for M.P.Ed:
The general syllabus for various entrance tests is as shown in the list below:
- Mental Ability
- General Knowledge
- Physical Education