B.S.W. or Bachelor of Social Work is an undergraduate Social Work course. Social Work refers to various services designed to aid the poor and aged and to increase their welfare. B.S.W. is of 3 years duration. The minimum duration of completing this course is 3 years and maximum duration of completing this course is 6 years. It is available as Full-Time Course and through Distance Education Program or Correspondence. IGNOU is one of the leading Institutes which provide BSW. It is also referred as B.A. (SW) which stands for Bachelor of Arts in Social Work. Social Work Courses imparts the education on the values of Social Work and consciously applying these in practice. This Course enables one to become a Social worker who can help people suffering from homelessness, poverty, violence, abuses and diseases like cancer, AIDS etc. This course is mostly suited to people who want to bring a change in the society through Social Work which may include helping the repressed and the underprivileged.
- 10+2 or its equivalent from a Government recognised Board.
- Students with a background in social work, psychology, social science, sociology or any other related fields will get preference over others.
- Some Institutes also conduct a Written Test followed by a Personal Interview for admission.
- They should have the ability to listen carefully, ask pertinent questions and retain verbally transmitted information which is crucial to the counseling aspect of social work.
- Candidates should also be able to evaluate one’s own performance and work toward improving it, i.e. an invaluable skill.
- Applicants also possess the ability to coordinate communication and action among multiple parties as the work of social worker is to connect people one another.
- Admission forms for the BSW course can be procured from the institute concerned or by post. Forms can also be downloaded from the official website of the institution. Some forms can also be filled online by the students. But before they proceed to submit the form by this procedure, they are to take a DD of the amount required. The admission form is to be accompanied by all the vital papers needed.
- The admission is based on the cut-off lists issued by the university or college. The admission process is entirely merit-based. Some universities like Osmania University also conduct an Aptitude Test.
- Direct admission through management quota is also available in universities such as Amity University. Government colleges do not have a management quota so direct admission is not available.
- The candidates can get admission into the second and third year of BSW through lateral entry in colleges like Delhi Institute of Professional Studies. The criteria differs across the college.
- Social Work Degree provides qualification for employment with many Human Service Providing Agencies.
- Social Work Graduate programs enable one to pursue Masters Degree in Social Work.
- BSW is not a Conventional Career and as such is especially meant for those who have capability of working really hard under precarious working conditions. Social Work Careers are available for Social Workers in private as well as public sector companies.
- Social workers can easily get jobs as counsellors in healthcare, adoption, environmental protection, community policing etc.
- Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- IGNOU, Delhi
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Social Work and Social Sciences, Bhubaneshwar
- Patna University, Patna
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- MA in Social Work