B.Lib.I.Sc. or Bachelor of Library and Information Science or simply BLIS is an undergraduate Library Science course. Library and Information Science is associated with schools of library and information science. Library science is a social science incorporating the humanities, law and applied science and studying topics related to libraries; the collection, organization, and the political economy of information. Information science is a science primarily concerned with the collection, classification, manipulation, storage, retrieval and dissemination of information. The duration of the course is one year in this case but it may be different from institute to institute depending on their rules and regulations; the syllabus is divided into two semesters. The course is of widespread value as it offers many career opportunities to the candidates after its successful completion.
- Candidates should have a Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline from a recognized university board.
- Some institutes intake students on the basis of merit with minimum of 50% marks or 55% marks on the 10+3 basis.
The admission procedure may vary from institute to institute, some of the institutes intake students on the basis of their merit and prepare a cut-off list for the selected candidates. The candidate has to apply for the course through online or offline mode to the respective university. The candidate may be called in for a personal interview for the admission. Generally the application process starts after the universities have released their bachelor’s results, but the candidate must have 50% marks in graduate level.
There are few colleges which conduct their own entrance exam for the filteration of the students who have applied for the course. But most of the colleges in India consider the marks of 10+2 for admission to the course.
- Candidate can opt for this course who are interested in books, library and its management. After the completion of the course one is eligible for higher studies like Master’s in Library science, M.Phil and Ph.D, after which one can e hired as a professor/lecturer in a reputed college/university.
- There is a good scope after the completion of the course some of which are metadata management, computer, data, information architecture, preservation administration, archiving, etc.
Entrance Exam Pattern:
The exam consists of 100 questions which are multiple choice questions or to say objective type in which the topics asked are general knowledge and english. There is no negative marking. Candidates have to choose only one option from the multiple options given for the questions.
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Isabella Thoburn Degree College, Lucknow
- Chhatrapati Sahu Ji Maharaja University, Kanpur
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow
- Rajiv Gandhi College, Bhopal
- College of Commerce, Patna
- Chankya Mahavidyalaya, Bhopal