Physical Education is a course or training in the development of and cares for the human body. Bachelor of Physical Education is an Undergraduate Academic Degree awarded for a course or program in the field of Physical Education. It is popularly known as B.P.Ed. or B.P.E. which is an abbreviated form of the Bachelor of Physical Education Degree. Physical Education Degree course consists of theory paper and practicals. All India Council of Physical Education is an Apex body of Physical Education constituted as per the Rajya Sabha (Upper House) of Indian Parliament to look after the Physical Education programs in the country.
Physical Education Courses is meant especially for sports persons or those who have a passion for sports and related activities. A non-sports person needs to be energetic, enthusiastic and physically fit. All professionals in this field must be absolutely committed to the profession and the game. Those who have completed B.P.Ed can go for physical education major education which can be Masters in Physical Education, Post Graduate Diploma In Health And Fitness Management (PGDHFM) or M.Phil. Another benefit of this degree is that it keeps one healthy and fit as it is a pre-requirement, to pursue this degree.
Advantages of B.P.Ed:
- On completion of the B.P.Ed course, candidates can pursue the Masters’ program in Physical Education or Health and Fitness Management, which in turn helps an aspirant to undergo doctoral programs in the relevant fields.
- By studying the B.P.Ed course, aspirants can expand their awareness about fitness.
Eligibility Criteria for B.P.Ed.
The pre-requisite criterion for the one-year B.P.Ed course is a graduation in any streams. For pursuing the three-year B.P.Ed course, aspirants should complete the intermediate course from a recognized Board or institute.
Admission Procedure for B.P.Ed.
Most of the Universities conduct entrance tests along with physical fitness tests to select aspirants for providing B.P.Ed admissions. Applicants can contact the institute, which they wish to pursue the course for procuring forms. Appropriately filled in applications are supposed to be sent to the institutional address along with required credentials specified in the information brochure.
B.P.Ed. Entrance exams:
- Gurukula Kangri Vishwavidyalaya Haridwar B.P.Ed. Entrance Exam
- Swami Vivekanand Subharti University Meerut B.P.Ed. Entrance Exam
- Luck now University B.P.Ed. Entrance Exam
- Kanpur University B.P.Ed. Entrance Exam
- Acharya Nagarjuna University Physical Education Common Entrance Test
Top Colleges for B.P.Ed:
- University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Maharshi Dayanand University
- University of Calicut, Calicut
- Lovely Professional University, Punjab
- Banaras Hindu University
Entrance exam pattern:
- THEORY PAPERS: There shall be six theory papers, each paper shall carry 100 marks, out of which 20 marks shall be the sessional.
- PRACTICAL Practical of this course shall be in THREE categories.(Total shall be of 800 Marks)
- A). Proficiency in games and sports (300 Marks)
- B). Teaching ability (300 Marks)
- C). Allied areas (200 Marks)
- A). Proficiency in games and sports: – It shall have THREE parts:- (i). Athletics. (ii). Gymnastics & Yoga (iii). Game of Specialization Each part shall carry 100 marks, out of which 20 marks shall be sessionals.
- B). Teaching ability: – It shall have THREE parts:- (i). General Lesson Plan (on playgrounds) (ii) Special lesson Plan (on playgrounds) (iii). Theory lesson Plan (in the classroom). Each part shall carry 100 marks, out of which 20 marks shall be sessionals. Candidates are required to take 5 practice lessons for each part separately.