Design is the process of creating or executing a work or plan in an artistic or highly skilled manner. A Design can be a shape, a configuration or a pattern. Bachelor of Design is an Undergraduate Academic Degree, awarded for a course or a program in the field of Design. It is abbreviated as B.Des. or B.D. which stands for Bachelor of Design or Bachelor in Design. When we speak of Design, the first thought that comes into our minds is that of Fashion Designing. In fact, Fashion Designing is a specialization in B.Des. Designing is a vast field and its application involves a multitude of mediums, some of which are – Infrastructure Interior, Graphics, Textiles, Websites, Games etc. B.Des. course equips the students with the latest in the Design world. Apart from Theory classes, the course curriculum includes Workshops, Exhibitions, Fashion Shows, Seminars etc.
Bachelor of Design (B. Des or B. Design) is an undergraduate degree course in the field of Design, where the key aspects are innovation and creativity. Students who have an edge over imagination and a good taste in designing may opt for this course.
The students who have successfully completed their schooling are eligible for the Bachelor of Design course. It has a duration of 3 or 4 years and the tuition fee is around 3,30,000 INR per annum.
Bachelor of Design caters to different categories like Interior Space design, Fashion Design, Product Design, Textile Design and much more, wherein these sectors a person can earn from 10,000 INR – 15,000 INR on average initially.
The duration of the course is 3 years and 6 semesters in some colleges while some college offer 4 years and 8 semesters of Bachelor of Design (B. Des or B. Design).
- The basic eligibility criterion for pursuing B.Des. degree is qualifying 10+2 or equivalent examination in any stream from a recognized board of the country.
- Percentage requirement varies from Institute to Institute. Mostly it is between 45% – 55%.
- Some Institutes also conduct Entrance Test for Admission.
For admission in Bachelor of Design, different colleges have different pattern, but the basic pattern that is followed more or less in every college is as follows:
- Fill in the Application Form
- Clear the entrance exam
- Clear the GD/PI round
- Admission to the Program
In NIFT, the admission process starts with the clearance of two exams either Creative Ability Test (CAT) or General Ability Test (GAT), which is followed by a Group Discussion Round and Personal Interview.
The various sections that are covered in GAT are:
- Quantitative Ability
- English Comprehension
- Communication Ability
- Analytical Ability
- General Knowledge & Current Affairs
While, CAT is conducted to test the intuition skills, power of observation, innovation in development of a concept & design ability of the candidate.
In the Group Discussion round, the skills on which a candidate is judged are as follows:
- Conceptual Clarity
- Knowledge of the topic assigned
- Contribution made to the topic
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to generate new ideas
- Problem solving approach
- Leadership qualities
- Effective Communication
After clearing all these stages, the next stage a candidate reaches is the Personal Interview round, which is the last round. The skills that are judged in this round are:
- Career Orientation
- Aptness for the field
- Overall personal achievements in academics & co-curricular activities
- General Awareness & Aptitude, creative & lateral thinking are likely to be useful.
- Degree holders are readily accepted in Garments, Leather, Textiles, and other fashion related industries.
- Fashion Design degree makes one eligible and competent enough to open their own fashion house to exhibit their fashion skills.
- Course besides satisfying the creative fancies and the materialistic needs of the people, also promises glamour, fame, success and high pay packages to its students.
- They can also go for further degrees like Masters and then for research degrees.
- National Institute of Design Exam
- AIEED (All India Entrance Examination for Design)
- CEED (Common Entrance Examination for Design)
- National Institute of Fashion Technology Exam
- MIT Institute of Design Examination
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- Northern India Institute of Fashion Technology, Mohali
- International Institute of Fashion Technology, Chandigarh
- Maeer MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- International Institute of Fashion Design, Mumbai