A Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) is an undergraduate professional degree which prepares students for work as a teacher in schools, though in some countries additional work must be done in order for the student to be fully qualified to teach. Earlier it was known as Bachelor of Training (BT). Also referred as ‘Bachelor in Education’ or in some universities as ‘Siksha Shastri’, its duration generally lasts 2 years. Bachelor of Education Course can also be pursued through Correspondence or Distance Learning which is generally of 2 Years duration. While students from Arts Stream are trained to teach subjects like History, Civics, Geography, and Languages. The students from Science Stream are trained to teach Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
In India, Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) is a postgraduate course offered for those interested in pursuing a career in teaching. The B.Ed. the degree is mandatory for teaching in the secondary (classes 9 and 10) and higher secondary (10+2 or classes 11 and 12). The minimum qualification required for entry into B.Ed. the course is Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.). While students from the Arts stream are trained to teach subjects like History, Civics, Geography, and languages, the students from the Science stream are trained to teach Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. Some of the reputed colleges offering B.Ed. course are ICFAI College of Education, Dehradun, The Glocal University, Amity School of Education, Lady Irwin College, Global Women’s College of Education (B.Ed) Gulbarga – among others. The course is also offered by Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU). The duration of the course is two years. After B.Ed., students can pursue Master of Education (M.Ed.) in any Indian university or teacher-training institutes offering the course. The National Council for Teacher Education is the statutory body which regulating teacher training courses in India.
The Right to Free and Compulsory Education for Children (RTE Act 2009) came into force from April 2010. The act emphasises on quality education for every child. As such, with the view to bring about quality education in schools, it is required that the entry level percentage to B.Ed. be 50 for those candidates in the General Category and 45 for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
- The minimum qualification required for entry into B.Ed. the course is a Bachelor of Arts (B.A), Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) or Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) from recognised board/university with at least 50% marks. Students need to appear in an entrance test conducted by the various state and Independent educational bodies and universities for admission in various teaching institutions attached with it according to the rank of the candidate in the entrance exam.
- These exams are generally held in the month of June-July and consist of Objective type questions on the subject of English, General Knowledge, Aptitude, Basic Arithmetic Teaching Potential and one local language in some states. The results of these exams are generally out by July/Aug. Candidates go through practical training courses, apart from theory classes.
Admission Procedure for Bachelor of Education B.Ed:
- The admission to B. Ed. is through the entrance exam conducted by the states and institutions for the intake of students. Generally, the admission test is conducted in the month of May or June and the forms for the admission test are available online.
- Candidates are advised to go through the different process of admission to the University he/she is opting for.
Advantages/Benefits of Bachelor of Education B.Ed:
- B.Ed. course makes an individual, skilled in the efficient teaching of subjects on the basis of accepted principles of learning and teaching.
- It develops our skills and widens our understanding so that we can impart quality education to our students.
- Teaching provides job satisfaction, job security, high earnings and flexible schedule.
- After B.Ed., students can pursue Master in Education (M.Ed.) in Indian universities.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Education B.Ed:
- Annamalai University, Cuddalore
- Amity Institute of Education, New Delhi
- Bangalore University, Bangalore
- IGNOU – Indira Gandhi National Open University, Delhi
Entrance Exams for Bachelor of Education B.Ed:
Here is a list containing the names of a few Entrance Exams conducted by the top Universities for admission:
- Vardhman Mahaveer Open University BEd Entrance Test 2017.
- BHU UET 2017, Banaras Hindu University UG Entrance Test 2017.
- Rabindra Bharati University B.Ed Entrance Exam.
- Chaudhary Ranbir Singh University B.Ed Entrance Exam.
Entrance Exam Pattern for Bachelor of Education B.Ed:
The syllabus/pattern for the entrance test is as follows:
- Teaching Aptitude.
- General Awareness.
- Logical and Analytical Reasoning.
- General English.