Central Agricultural University (CAU), Manipur was established in 1992. The University became functional with the joining of first vice-chancellor on 1993. The jurisdiction of the University extends to six north-eastern hill states viz., Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Sikkim and Tripura, with headquarters at Imphal in Manipur.
The mission of the University is to be a centre of excellence in teaching, research and extension education in the field of agriculture and allied sectors. The University aims to develop sustainable farming systems for improving productivity and profitability in agriculture and allied sectors and also train the farmers and extension functionaries for the effective dissemination of advanced agricultural technologies in north-east India.
The University acts as an important link in the chain for converting agriculture and allied vocations into profitable enterprises and offering food and nutritional security for the people of north-east region. To realize the above mission, University established seven colleges and three Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs) in the six states of north-east India and offers undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs in agriculture and allied sciences.
Colleges at Central Agricultural University –
- College of Agriculture, Iroisemba (CA), Imphal, Manipur
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (CVS&AH) Selesih, Aizawl, Mizoram
- College of Fisheries (CF), Lembucherra, Agartala, Tripura
- College of Horticulture and Forestry (CH&F) Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh
- College of Home Science (CHS), Tura, West Garo Hills Meghalaya
- College of Agricultural Engineering and Post-Harvest Technology (CAE&PHT), Ranipool, Gangtok, Sikkim
- College of Postgraduate Studies (CPGS), Barapani Shillong, Meghalaya
Research at Central Agricultural University –
The Director of Research is responsible for supervision and coordination of research programs in the university. The research activities under CAU aims at developing technologies which can bring about a far reaching impact on productivity and production of crops, animals and fishes through sustainable and eco-friendly technological approaches for the socio-economic development in the region. With these objectives, a number of need-based, location-specific internally-funded research programs are being carried out under Intramural Research Projects (IRP) and also externally funded research projects in all constituent colleges.
Manipur has got three major universities and Central Agricultural University, Imphal is one of them. The session for different courses in this university starts in the month of August every year. Let us have a close look at the various courses offered here:
1. B.Sc. (Agriculture): This is a four year duration course. In order to be eligible for this course the students are required to clear their 10 + 2 with subjects, namely, English, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics/Biology/Agriculture with an aggregate score of 60%. This eligibility is 50% for SC/ST and in service candidates with regular service of at least 3 years.
2. M.Sc. (Agriculture): In order to be eligible for this course the student should be B.Sc. (Agriculture) pass with at least OGPA of 2.6 on a scale of 4 points or 6.5 on a scale of 10 points or equivalent grade for general category. In case of SC/ST and in service candidate for at least 3 years , there is a relaxation of 5% in the eligibility marks.
b. Plant Pathology
d. Plant Breeding & Genetics
e. Soil Science & Agriculture Chemistry
There are total 12 departments in this university with total faculty of 36. This university concentrates on agricultural studies considering the fact that India is a agriculture based country. Agriculture has a great impact on the economy of India and this institute like few others in the country is devoted to produce good professionals in the field of agriculture in India. Below mentioned are the twelve departments of this university:
3. Botany and Plant Pathology
4. Plant Breeding & Genetics
5. Soil Sciences and Agriculture Chemistry
7. Agriculture Economics
8. Extension Education
9. Agriculture Engineering
10. Animal Sciences
11. Mathematics and Statistics
12. English Language
Receive latest news and updates about C.A UNIVERSITY Imphal through e-mail or Sms, by entering your details below:
Central Agricultural University Courses offered
- Central Agricultural University B Tech Agricultural Engineering
- Central Agricultural University BFSc
- Central Agricultural University MSc Agriculture
- Central Agricultural University BSc AgricultureCentral Agricultural University MFSc
Iroisemba, Imphal- 795 004
Phone No. 0385-2415933
Fax No. 0385-2410414