BOT – Bachelors of Occupational Therapy
What is BOT [Bachelors in Occupational Therapy]?
➡ Occupational therapy is essentially a profession that deals with healthcare.
➡ This field is a fast-growing field and is expected to grow faster in the future.
➡ While pursuing BOT, aspirants learn about health service management, anatomy, and human development.
➡ Students learn Philosophy and Biology while pursuing BOT.
➡ An Occupational therapist is responsible for treating sick and injured people.
Eligibility Criteria –
➡ Students must have studied Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Mathematics as their main subjects at 10+2 level.
➡ They must have completed their class 12 from a recognized educational board.
➡ Aspirants appearing for their final 10+2 exams are too eligible to apply for this course on a provisional basis.
➡ Minimum aggregate score of 50% [45% for SC/ST/OBC students] at the level of graduation.
Why one should pursue Bachelors’s in Occupational Therapy?
- Students get jobs in the healthcare sector after passing this course but in some cases, they also get job opportunities in several social welfare, School welfare, and NGOs.
- BOT allows the students to turn into entrepreneurs. They can also open their own clinics after the completion of the course.
- You will gain a strong foundation of coursework in science, sociology, and psychology.
- Students are often hired as occupational therapists. The average salary can go up to INR 409,000 per annum in India, salary can go up to 10,00,000 per annum.
Moreover, aspirants are allowed other perks including – Dental, medical insurance, retirement benefits, etc.
Who should pursue this course?
- -Aspirants who have an interest in entering the healthcare field.
- -Students who want to pursue a career as an occupational therapist.
- -Students who want to become a social worker and who wish to pursue a career in social welfare – help individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Course Fee –
The fee structure of BOT ranges from Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 1,00,000 entirely.
|BOT||Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 1,00,00|
However, it will vary from college to college.
Admission Process –
It is mandatory for you to pass class 12 with subjects including – Chemistry, Physics, and Biology [compulsory
Some of the universities offer admission on the basis of merit [student’s performance in the last qualifying
exam]. On the other hand, some colleges conduct an entrance exam for admission.
Some of the well-known exams for admission in this course are –
- SVNIRTAR NIOH Common Entrance Test
- All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation [AIIPMR] Entrance Test
- CMC Vellore Entrance Test
- Manipal University Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Entrance Exam
- K.M.C.H. College of Occupational Therapy Entrance Exam
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Specializations
Aspirants studying the BOT program are required to select a major course of the specialization.
Major specializations in Bachelor of Occupational Therapy or BOT are –
- Special child needs
- Pediatric specialization
- Sports injury
- Adult rehabilitation
Colleges offering Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Course in India
- All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mumbai
- Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi
- Amity University, Noida
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
- Dr. DY Patil University, Navi Mumbai
- NIMS College of Physiotherapy, Jaipur
- Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya National Institute for Persons with Physical Disabilities, New Delhi
- National Institute of Healthcare Education and Research, Patna
- ISIC Institute of Rehabilitation Sciences, New Delhi
BOT Entrance Examinations –
Some colleges and institutes conduct entrance exams to give admissions. There are various other colleges that
provide admissions on the basis of merit.
Major Entrance Examinations for BOT Admissions are –
➡ BHU UET-Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test
➡ NEET–National Eligibility Entrance Test
➡ IPU CET- Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test
➡ AIIPMR EE- All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Entrance Exam
Top Job Profiles –
➡ Occupational Therapy Nurse
➡ Occupational Therapist
The average salary after completion of the course ranges between INR 2,00,000 – INR 300,000 per annum.
|BOT Salary||RS 2,00,000 – 300,000|
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Career Options –
Some of the well-known job profiles that you can seek after pursuing BOT include –
- Critical Care Nursing in-charge
- National Sales Manager
- OT Technician
- OT Nurse
- Medical Record Technician
- Lab Technician
- Service Delivery Manager
- Occupational Therapist
- Private Practitioner
- Rehabilitation Therapy Assistant
- Speech and Language Therapist
- OT In-charge
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy trains candidates to become skilled professional occupational therapists who are capable of undertaking the independent practice.
Skills delivered to students while pursuing BOT course include –
Clinical reasoning, observation, treatment planning, and execution of the same.
Some Alternative Courses-
If you somehow failed to get admission in BOT but are still interested in the field of Occupational Therapy, you may
consider the following alternative courses-
➡ Certificate courses in Occupational Therapy
➡ Diploma in Occupational Therapy
➡ B.Sc. in Occupational Therapy
Among the above-mentioned courses, BOT is the best course, followed by a Diploma program.