- 1 What Is BMLT?
- 2 All About The Course
- 3 Admission Process
- 4 Entrance Exams For BMLT
- 5 Subjects In BMLT Course
- 6 Semester Wise Syllabus of BMLT
- 7 BMLT Projects
- 8 Specializations in Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Technology
- 9 Why Should You Choose BMLT as Your Course of Study?
- 10 Advantages of Studying BMLT
- 11 Scope of BMLT Students
- 12 Course Details of Medical Lab Technology
- 13 Who Can Apply?
- 14 What is the Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Technology (BMLT)
- 15 Jobs after Completing BMLT
- 16 Fee Structure
What Is BMLT?
BMLT or Bachelors in Medical Laboratory Technology is a 3-year undergraduate Medical Lab Technologist program. It is also known as Clinical Lab Technology. Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Technology program aims to provide the aspirants with the necessary proficiencies and knowledge to carry out usual laboratory diagnostic practices and some complex laboratory diagnostic procedures. The course deals with innovative developments in the management of instrumentation, laboratories, etc.
All About The Course
The course offers candidates comprehensive knowledge about laboratory equipment and its usage in diagnostic dealings. The course aims at educating candidates in the management of operation theatre (OTs) and how to handle several types of medical equipment effectively and knowledge in utilizing medical standards. For the students who aim for a career in advancement in laboratories, instrumentation, and laboratory management this course is very beneficial for them.
Medical Technology is one of the fastest-developing fields in the healthcare area. The need for skilled professionals is increasing every day for the cure of rapidly growing ailments with the aid of many technical types of equipment. BMLT degree helps aspirants gain technical and practical knowledge for the right diagnosis and know how to efficiently run biochemical laboratories.
The admission process varies from university to university. Some colleges offer admission on a merit basis while some conduct common entrance tests. Candidates need to authenticate the admission process for colleges.
- The Direct Admission process is monitored by most of the universities in India.
- In this way, candidates are chosen based on their marks scored in the Intermediate examination.
- For this, candidates have to apply to the college or university.
- After the board results are out, the colleges will announce their cut-off scores.
- Those candidates who meet the cut-off score or have more marks than the cut-off will be eligible for BMLT admissions.
Entrance Exams For BMLT
National Level Entrance Exams For BMLT Course
Some universities organize entrance exams for BMLT admission at a national level. These are as follows:-
Manipal Entrance Test is a national-level entrance examination directed by the Manipal Academy in about 50 cities in the country. The entrance exam is conducted in an online mode and the candidates can apply for the exam through online websites.
The procedure of the exam: – The candidate should apply for admission to Manipal university online. The forms are accessible online. The slots booking is based on a first come first serve.
National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) is a national level entrance examination that is organized only once a year by the National Testing Agency permitting admission to students for medical courses. Candidates can apply online for the entrance test on their official website.
The procedure of exam: – The application form process is completely done by the online method, and the exam is led in offline mode.
State Level Entrance Exams For BMLT Course
It is a state-level BMLT entrance exam allowing students for admission into Engineering/ Pharmacy/ Architecture/ Medical & Allied courses, conducted by the Commissioner of Entrance Examination (CEE), Kerala once a year. It is a three-hour examination normally carried out offline.
The procedure of the exam: – The process of application form filling is online. The exam will be held in offline mode with multiple choice type questions.
AP EAMCET is a state-level entrance examination organized by the Andhra Pradesh State Council of Higher Education (APSCHE) for admission to numerous courses in Agriculture, Engineering, and Medical Programmes. It is an online computer-based exam.
The procedure of the exam: – Application procedure for AP EAMCET is completely online.
Subjects In BMLT Course
BMLT subjects allow students to renovate medical laboratory procedures to support the progress of medical sectors and hospitals. In the three-year program, there are both elective as well as core subjects, which makes the program more supple. The BMLT subjects are following: –
- Human Anatomy
- Health Education and Communication
- Bio-Medical Waste Management
- Human Physiology
- Immunology and Serology
- Clinical Haematology
Semester Wise Syllabus of BMLT
The BMLT course subjects and curriculum train students to become medical laboratory technologists or to take employment in pathology labs, hospitals labs, and research & development centers. BMLT course topics consist of human anatomy, human physiology, biochemistry, communication and health education, bio-medical waste management, etc.
The syllabus of the BMLT course is designed to prepare students for learning techniques and methods that are used in medical laboratories and to improve the students’ understanding of the complete subject and build their overall intelligence. To better progress technique-related topics, the BMLT syllabus contains both classroom concepts and hands-on lab sessions.
BMLT courses emphasize recent developments in laboratory technology. The semester-wise syllabus of Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology is given below:
- Human Anatomy-I
- Human Physiology-I
- Health Education & Health Communication
- PC Software Lab
- Biochemistry-I Lab
- Human Anatomy-I Lab
- Human Physiology-I Lab
- Bio-Medical Waste Management
- Human Anatomy II
- Biochemistry II
- Human Physiology II
- Communication Lab
- Practical: Biochemistry-I
- Practical: Human Physiology-II
- Histopathology & Histotechniques –I
- Clinical Haematology-I
- Immunology & Serology-I
- Microbiology, Immunology & Serology – I Lab
- Histopathology & Histotechniques -I Lab
- Clinical Haematology-I Lab
- Immunology & Serology-II
- Clinical Haematology-II
- Histopathology & Histotechniques
- Pathology – II
- Microbiology, Immunology & Serology
- Clinical Haematology-II Lab
- Histopathology & Histotechniques -II Lab
- Parasitology & Virology
- Immunohematology & Blood Banking
- Diagnostic Cytology
- Principles of Lab Management & Medical Ethics
- Clinical Enzymology & Automation
- Diagnostic Cytology Lab
- Clinical Enzymology Lab
- Parasitology & Virology Lab
- Advanced Diagnostic Techniques
- Clinical Endocrinology & Toxicology
- Diagnostic Molecular Biology
- Diagnostic Molecular Biology Lab
- Advanced Diagnostic Techniques Lab
- Clinical Endocrinology & Toxicology Lab
- Internship Project
Students have to finish research projects as part of their Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology program to gain experience in handling projects in hospitals. Students will learn about the aspects that impact research project success as well as the methods needed to apply such strategies. In BMLT projects, students gain practical involvement and training in medical organizations. At the end of the sixth semester, the research projects must be accomplished. The popular BMLT project topics are following:
- The profits of Procalcitonin as a Diagnostic Biomarker in Rush’s Core Laboratory.
- The Title role of Store- Operated CRAC Channels in Inflammatory Cytokine Production in the Inherited Dermatosis Darier’s Disease
- Authentication of the Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia (HIT) Assesses on an Automated Platform at Northwestern University.
- Comprehensive Examination and Its Connection with Board Certification Scores in Medical Laboratory Science Program at Rush University
- Hyperglycemia as a Reason for CD4 T Cell Death
- Assessment of 7 Examines for Laboratory Diagnosis of EBV Associated Infectious Mononucleosis
- CBC Usage in the CICU at Rush University Medical Center
- The appearance of the Oncogene Mir-149 in Plasma from Patients Undergoing CT Screening for Lung Cancer
- Estimation of Procalcitonin at University of Chicago
- Genomic Methylation and Epigenetic Modulator Mutations in Tubular Adenomas
Specializations in Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Technology
Some specializations of Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Technology are following:
- Medical Technology
- Nuclear Medicine Technology.
- Medical Imaging Technology.
- Nuclear Medicine Technology.
- Medical Lab Technology
- Medical Lab Technology.
- Medical Technology.
- Medical Imaging Technology.
Why Should You Choose BMLT as Your Course of Study?
A bachelor’s degree in medical laboratory technology is one of the best options for students who want to work in the medical field. Students will learn how to conduct laboratory work more effectively in this course. After completing the program, students will have gained a wealth of knowledge and expertise.
Those who want to work in the healthcare industry should consider taking the medical laboratory technology course. Additionally, there is an urgent need for more laboratory technicians in the medical field. They are an essential part of any medical laboratory. The BMLT course is worthwhile because of the high demand and wide range of employment opportunities in the healthcare industry.
Today, most labs are looking for highly-trained workers who are familiar with the latest laboratory technology. The technician who is responsible for conducting accurate lab tests must meet a wide range of standards. Expert technicians demand a high salary.
Students who earn a degree in medical laboratory technology are well-prepared for further study in the field. You can pursue a promising career or continue your education after graduating. In addition, it is a program that prepares students for a wide range of careers in the medical field.
Advantages of Studying BMLT
While some individuals aspire to be nurses or physicians, these careers are not appropriate for everyone. If you’re looking for an advantageous healthcare career that doesn’t demand you to provide direct patient care, becoming a medical lab technician may be a good fit.
A medical laboratory technician analyses bodily fluids and tissues to ensure that medical conditions are diagnosed and treated appropriately. For instance, a medical laboratory technician may examine the tissue under a microscope to detect cancer cells or other abnormalities. Additionally, they may check blood types before transfusions and test urine samples for drugs.
Numerous advantages exist for studying BMLT:
- It equips enrolled students with the skills necessary to operate laboratory equipment and manage all other activities. Graduates of the BMLT program obtain well-compensated positions in healthcare facilities, nursing homes, clinical laboratories or diagnostics, and hospitals, among other fields.
- You can make your job preference in any field that is the most interesting to you. Depending on the company, you may be able to select your workdays, nights, or weekends as you see fit.
- Lab technicians use high-tech equipment regularly to conduct diagnostic tests on patients. A medical laboratory technician career is a great option for those who enjoy science, technology, and healthcare.
- Direct patient care isn’t necessary for all jobs in the healthcare sector. Medical lab technicians, who assist doctors and nurses, perform their work behind the scenes. You won’t even interact with patients during your shift.
- As a medical laboratory technician, getting a job is relatively easy. Two years after completing the Medical Laboratory Technician program, you will be ready to work in the field.
- While earning a remarkable salary, this program provides you with increased job security and opportunities to advance your career. Candidates who complete the course will be able to assist physicians in collecting and testing samples.
Scope of BMLT Students
There is a lot of opportunity for those who complete a Bachelor’s in medical laboratory technology program. MLTs are in high demand, especially in light of the rise of increasingly complex diseases around the globe. Professionals in the medical field have a key role to play in this multibillion-dollar industry. There is a huge demand for MLTs with advanced training in response to the growing number of health issues caused by modern lifestyles.
Some noteworthy prospects for a bachelor’s degree in medical laboratory technology are:
The starting salary for BMLT graduates is typically around Rs 1.2 lakh per year. One can earn up to Rs 5 lakh per year if they have years of experience and the necessary skills. A master’s degree is an option for BMLT program graduates who want to increase their earning potential.
Various positions are available in both public and private companies. Students in India and abroad can find employment and further education. In addition, they have the option of engaging in research. They can work in several areas, including Urology offices, Pharmaceutical companies, Hospitals, etc. They can also work as professors, lecturers, and other academics.
Graduates of BMLT are eligible to pursue advanced degrees in a variety of fields, including:
- Master of Science (M. Sc) in Medical Lab Technology
- Master of Science (M. Sc) in Medical Imaging Technology.
- Master of Science (M. Sc) in Medical Imaging Technology
- Master of Science (M. Sc) in Nuclear Medicine Technology
BMLT Government and Private Jobs
Both government and private sectors recruit lots of students after their graduation in the BMLT course. A few of the related jobs are mentioned below:
1.Echo/ ECG/TMT Technician
- X-Ray Technician
- Biochemistry Technician
- Microbiology Technician
- Research Scientist
- Chief Medical Health Officer
- Medical Officer
- Lab Technician
- Blood Bank Technician
- Cardiac Technician
- Lab Technicians – Pathology
Run your own business
Running your laboratory consulting services or health care centers is possible after a person has gained enough experience.
Course Details of Medical Lab Technology
The following information is provided about the medical laboratory technology course:
The medical laboratory of technology is a three-year graduate program that focuses on the development of technical abilities in candidates. Candidates who enroll in the BMLT program acquire a variety of skills. Several critical abilities include working under pressure, adhering to protocols, maintaining focus, and conducting research and development. Several of the more common options in this course include the following:
1. Handling of samples:
The ability to handle samples is a necessary skill for any laboratory worker. The medical laboratory technology course teaches candidates how to properly handle and analyze laboratory specimens. It is a practical ability that each student can develop throughout this course.
Serology is a core subject in a medical laboratory science course. It is a course that informs students about the body’s enzymes and the procedures for testing them. It is a study of bodily fluids that assists students in pursuing higher education.
It instructs students on the various biotechnologies used to analyze living organisms. This course introduces students to a variety of tools and technologies.
Who Can Apply?
Bachelors in medical laboratory technology (BMLT) is a full-time three-year undergraduate degree program. Numerous health care aspects have been taken care of under this program. Aspirants perform various diagnostics, analyses on body fluids, including hematology, bacteriology, immunology, chemicals, microscope, etc. The important subjects that are taught in this program include- clinical endocrinology and toxicology lab, diagnostic cytology, etc.
The main objective of a bachelor’s in medical laboratory technology course is to teach various testing methods that are followed while conducting tests without any error, such as blood tests, urine analyses, and other tests. The course is a study of diagnosing the disease by utilizing a clinical laboratory. The students would be trained in laboratory management, practical implementation, and internal assessment.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Technology (BMLT)
In the medical laboratory, technology is an allied health specialty program. This deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases through the utilization of clinical laboratory tests concerned with the treatment, diagnosis, and prevention of disease, through the use of clinical laboratory tests. These tests help candidates to learn and diagnose several diseases. Detecting and treating some of those diseases is also a part of this graduation. Additionally, the program deals with the collection of information sampling, reporting, testing, and documenting.
Now that we are well aware of the bachelor of medical laboratory technology (BMLT) course. Let’s talk about the eligibility conditions required to join a bachelor of medical laboratory technology. As far as educational qualification is concerned:
- Candidates must have passed the 12th examination or its equivalent from a recognized board in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, Biology as main subjects.
- Some colleges also demand a certain minimum percentage of marks, which can be anywhere between 55% to 60%. This eligibility criterion might differ a little bit depending upon the institute you are willing to join, to do your bachelor’s in a medical laboratory technology course.
- Admission to the course is provided in two ways, and the first one is based on merit formed considering the marks obtained. After successfully applying for admissions candidates would be asked to appear for the selection processes as defined by each college.
- Before the selection process, the medical universities will release the appropriate merit lists containing the name of the candidate along with ranks.
- However, most of the reputed BMLT institutes provide admission to their BMLT course based on rank obtained in the entrance exam conducted by the institute itself or state-level entrance exam.
Along with the eligibility conditions, you must have a certain set of skills to be able to complete this three years bachelor in medical laboratory technology course successfully. Those skills are:
- A good analytical judgment and the ability to work under pressure.
- Paying attention to every detail is essential for medical laboratory technicians because small differences or changes in test substances or numerical readouts can be crucial to a diagnosis.
- Normal color vision and smelling sense ability are highly desirable. Besides this, having the ability to handle automated laboratory equipment, computer skills are important.
- Should be able to think and make scientific decisions for successful problem-solving.
- Should be able to communicate effectively and function as part of a team and should be able to collaborate.
- Must be well organized and capable of managing tasks.
- Must be able to perform research, possess practical skills, and approach to work scientifically.
- Should be able to think analytically, numerically and have interpersonal awareness.
The list of top Government colleges for BMLT is:
- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Government Medical College, Kozhikode, Kerala
- Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh
- Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi
The list of top private colleges for BMLT is:
- Chandigarh University
- Aditya Institute of Technology
- Dr. Gaikwad Institute
- Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu
Moreover, the popularity of this course can be seen in universities abroad as well. Top institutions in the country like the USA, UK, Canada, etc are accepting applications for this program. Basic admission criteria for eligibility are:
- A good percentage of marks are required in 12th to pass the eligibility bar.
- English proficiency test IELTS/TOEFL must be cleared.
- A letter of recommendation from the previous institute is required.
- Statement of purpose, resumes are also requested by these institutions.
The list of top abroad colleges for BMLT is:
- George University, Washington
- New Castle University
- University of Alberta
- RMIT University
- University of Bradford
Jobs after Completing BMLT
BMLT is one of the fastest-growing fields in the healthcare/medical sector. A bachelor’s degree in MLT can offer one of the most exciting career opportunities with the utmost job satisfaction. After your bachelor’s in MLT degree, you can find work in government as well as private sectors. The demand for personnel who are experienced in the management of the laboratory, advancement in laboratory and instrumentations is increasing day by day. This BMLT program will help the candidates to gain practical as well as technician knowledge. Doctors alone cannot handle patients as well as the laboratories. Hence, BMLT graduates are required so that they could be of help to any medical laboratories for treating and studying rapidly growing diseases. With advancements in technology, laboratory testing tools have also caught up with a growing speed. BMLT graduates help in the fulfillment of such jobs. There are various sectors, especially the research and pharma sectors which provide a lot of job opportunities. Many companies are dedicated to medical research making more jobs for BMLT graduates. Multiple roles can be fulfilled by a BMLT graduate. Among those top jobs are:
- Medical Laboratory Technicians
- Clinical Laboratory Technician
- Medical Laboratory Technologist
- Lab Medicine Technician
- X-Ray Technician
- Junior Technical Executive
- R & D Contractual Lab Assistant
Among all the jobs there are some top jobs for which graduates go for are:
- Cardiac Technician- Heart Attack is getting common these days. A cardiovascular technologist helps doctors or physicians in treating heart and blood vessels related issues. There are three areas in which a cardiovascular technologist can get specialization. Those three areas are- invasive cardiology, cardiac sonography, vascular technology/sonography. Some basic skills like fast-thinking, stress management are required in a cardiac technician. The average salary of a cardiac technician is around 46,000 INR per month.
- Xray technician- Xray technician is also known as the radiologic technician. They work with high-tech machines to produce medical images that focus on a specific part of their patient’s body. They are also trained on some medical issues so that their skills could come in handy at difficult times. In some cases, these technicians are also eligible for doing office work like preparing work schedules or setting up a station for doctors, etc. The average salary of an X-ray technician is around 2.0 Lakhs INR per annum.
- Medical Officer- Observing daily operations, serving as a clinical adviser are among the roles which medical officers do. They also manage and supervise a medical team. Medical officers should have extensive knowledge about their work. Including this, ensuring high standards to patient care, verifying complex diagnosing, keeping themselves informed about recent advancements/technologies are medical officer responsibilities. A person is called a good medical officer when he perfectly performs administrative duties and can handle risks as well. The average salary of a medical officer is around 16.0 Lakhs INR per annum.
- Cytologist- Cytotechnology is the study of blood cells to detect hazardous diseases like blood cancer, bacteria infection, and some other abnormal conditions. A technologist is trained in such a way that they can notice small changes to accurately detect infectious diseases. The basic functions that a cytologist performs are: using a microscope to examine cells of the body, detecting cell abnormalities, helping pathologists, and providing timely diagnosing. The average salary of a cytologist is around 5.8 Lakhs INR per annum.
Top recruiting companies for BMLT are:
- Allele Life science
- Alpha-Pharma Healthcare India Private Limited
- Oniosome Private Limited
- Pharma Instinct Private Limited
- Siran Technology Private Limited
- Mascot International
- Max Hospital
- Kailash Hospital
- Fortis Hospital
- Commercial Laboratories
If we talk about India, Universities/colleges offering admissions in Bachelors of Medical Technology are based on entrance exams or, merit lists. The fee structure for this course varies across all colleges. In the case of India, the average fees for the BMLT course range from 99,000 INR per annum to 3.87 INR per annum.
Taking admission abroad is also an option. Top universities in countries like the USA, Canada, Australia also offer these courses. The average fee for this course is around 10 Lakhs INR per year to a maximum of 22 Lakhs INR per annum.