Sassoon General Hospitals is a large state-run hospital in Pune, India with 1296 beds. It is affiliated to the B. J. Medical College and a Nurses training School. Sassoon Hospital caters to 9,426,959 population of Pune District- a 2nd most populous district in the State of Maharashtra.
The Jewish philanthropist David Sassoon from Mumbai made a generous donation to make the construction of the hospital possible in 1867. The hospital could originally accommodate 144 patients.
In year 1946 on 23rd June, B. J. Medical College was founded to replace erstwhile B. J. Medical School, with Shri. B. G. Kher the head of the Bombay Government, laying the foundation stone. This was the fulfilment of the vision of a far sighted Parsi philanthropist Byramjee Jeejeebhoy, to have an institution in Poona for training of doctors and providing medical facilities on par with those in Bombay. His generosity and munificence made it possible for the B.J. Medical School to start functioning from 1871 on land donated by him, and when the school was upgraded to the college in 1946, quite filtergly the name was retained. The medical course of MBBS was affiliated to the University of Poona (Pune) in 1949.
Pune had already been blessed by the generous contribution of Sassoon- a Jewish merchant family in the form of the David Sassoon Hospital (Old Sassoon Building) built at a cost of Rs. 213,000 serving the poor and needy from 1867, and the Jacob Sassoon Hospital constructed by his nephew in 1905-06 to relieve the congestion on the David Sassoon Hospital. Both were magnificent buildings, architectural marvels and the clock tower of David Sassoon Hospital, a landmark in the city. The campus had already been blessed by the presence of two great personalities – Avtar Meher Baba was born in the old maternity ward in the hospital, and the father of the nation, Mahatma, Gandhi was operated upon for emergency appendectomy in 1924 by a British Surgeon Col. Murdoch with an Indian anaesthetist Dr. Datey in attendance.
- The college offers MBBS, MD, MS, PhD, Diplomas, MCh (CVTS), MSc, GNM, BSc Nursing, DMLT, PGDMCH, and PGDGM
- The medical course of MBBS was affiliated to the University of Poona (Pune) in 1949
- The college started with 50 students .Now there are 1700 students are on the campus with more than 2000 staff including 268 faculties
- Every year 200 students are enrolled in MBBS program and 143 students in MD/MS course
- The college is associated with the Sassoon General Hospitals
- In 1996, the college celebrated Golden Jubilee. Following the Golden Jubilee, a number of new facilities – diagnostic and therapeutic have been setup – the CT scan, Nuclear Medicine Department, Cardiac Catheterisation Lab, Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery Unit, the Leptospirosis Diagnostic Lab among others. The Infosys Super speciality Building in the campus is catering to super speciality services for patients
- National Institute of Health (NIH) USA granted Clinical Trial Unit to BJMC in collaboration with JHU for 2008-2014 after successful international grade research for international grade research
- BJMC fought the outbreak of 2009 H1N1 (Swine flu) in Maharashtra
- In February 2010, BJMC and Sassoon General Hospital promptly handled the casualties of German Bakery bomb blast. Thereafter, BJMC developed a comprehensive disaster management plan for the city of Pune.
International Collaboration: B.J.Govt. Medical College stepped into international research in 1998 with collaboration of Johns Hopkins University USA and National Institute of Health (NIH) USA.
- PG DIPLOMA
|TOTAL YEAR WISE||₹74,400||₹70,900||₹70,900||₹70,900||₹70,900|
|GRAND TOTAL||₹3.58 LAKHS|
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2||PROGRAM GRAND TOTAL|
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2||PROGRAM GRAND TOTAL|
- Medical Services
- Recreation facilities
Receive latest news and updates about Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Government Medical College and Sassoon General Hospital, Pune through e-mail or Sms, by entering your details below:
- The college has been ranked 16 by India Today
- The college has been ranked 10 by Outlook India
- The college has been ranked amongest the top 10 medical colleges in India.
- Shriram Lagoo
- Mohan Agashe
- Jabbar Patel
- Dr. Kiran Shete
- Dr Anil Avchat
- Dr. Nitin Kareer-secretary to chief minister of Maharashtra
Jai Prakash Narayan Road, Near Pune Railway Station, Pune, Maharashtra
Pune – 411001
Maharashtra , India
020-26128000 , 26126010